BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rapidly approaching 36,000 miles on my 05 LT.

Should I spend $1,000 for an extended warrantee?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I'm in the same boat, 05, 30,000 miles & I don't think I will.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I was faced with that same decision and opted to pass on one. A year later, I sold my LT and bought a new GT. I guess I saved myself $1,000...now didn't I? ;)

Let's face it, the majority of people that buy extended warranties don't use them. Otherwise, the insurance companies wouldn't offer them.

·
Registered
494 Posts
In my opinion the extended warranty is a no brainer....due to all of the very expensive parts/labor on the LT's. Mine came in handy three months ago with a 2500.00 Servo Brake pump removal and replacement that went out on my 2002 LT with only 9000 miles. I ended up paying a 25.00 deductible only....plus I get three new tires out of the extended warranty plan...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Extended Warranty

I just turned 35,600 miles on my 2005. It will be two years old in February. I just purchase extended warranty on it which covers it up to February of 2011. I plan to ride it one more year, which it will have over 50,000 miles on then. Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Jerrym said:
I just turned 35,600 miles on my 2005. It will be two years old in February. I just purchase extended warranty on it which covers it up to February of 2011. I plan to ride it one more year, which it will have over 50,000 miles on then. Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.
I'm considering the extended warranty too. Who did you find to offer this warranty? Don

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Jerrym said:
Since the warranty is transferable I feel it will be easier to sell the bike plus it will be worth $1,000 more with the warranty than if I did not have it. With 55,000 miles and 3 years warranty should help sell the bike.
That's the part I disagree with. I wouldn't pay $1K more for a used bike with an extended warranty. Perhaps some would. I just don't think you can make that blanket statement.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Extended Warranty

dwillie said:
I'm considering the extended warranty too. Who did you find to offer this warranty? Don
I purchased Pinnacle with the Touring Package included ABS brakes, electrical components (factory installed sound system), fuel system, all seals, gauges, front rear suspension, transmission components, primary drive components (slave cylinder) and all engine components. I purchased through my local dealer, which he does honors. He tells me most all the BMW dealers will accept Pinnacle.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Extended Warranty

I am just curious if Joe is always negative and has ever agreed with anyone unless he has it. I probably should not say the above for I do not know Joe and he is probably a great guy. He did help me purchase a Garmin 2610.
I probably would not pay $1,000 more for a bike with 3 years warranty. But I would think a bike with three years warranty would be worth more than one with no warranty, especially with 55,000 miles. When I purchase my first LT in 2003 I was not sure enough that I would like one well enough to purchase a new one. So I purchased a 2001 with 2900 mile on it off EBay. It had one year warranty left or I would not have purchased it. I figured if there was anything seriously wrong with it my dealer would take care of it. I looked at several LT’s before I purchase the 2001 and I wanted one with at least one year warranty. Due to all the very expensive parts and labor on the LT it does not take much to pay back the warranty cost. I am able to do most all my own service work and most repairs. I have drilled the weep hole for the slave cylinder. I hope I never have to use my extended warranty but I feel better knowing I should not have any large repair cost. I do ride about 20 to 25 thousand miles a year so I think that is another reason to purchase extended warranty. If you ride eight to 10 thousand miles a year it is pretty expensive per mile. Joe will not agree to this.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
Do you plan on keeping your LT for a few years (or in your case thousands of miles) beyond the factory warrant coverage? If so I would recommend it. Parts and labor costs on covered items is generally high enough to make up the cost on even a few minor claims. You don't have to anticipate a major failure to try and justify the cost.

·
Banned
588 Posts
I'd advise if you own a pre 2005 model and ride it alot, then the warranty should be worth it. Lots of clutch, throttle/cruise cables, transmission, final drive, engine/coolant seals, radio and ABS brake problems. All VERY expensive and paid for many expensive repairs for my 136,000 mile 2000 K1200LT. I'm considering one for my 2006 and waiting to see if expensive problems begin cropping up with the 2005/6 models. I will likely wait till 35,000 miles which will probably be this time next year and make my decision. I will also have the engine, transmission and final drive oils analyzed to see if everything is in good shape or not. The only reported problems I've noticed with the 2005/6 models is with the centerstand. Anybody agree or disagree with my thinking?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I have pinnacle, purchased through the dealer a year ago, in the 3 instances when I had something go wrong, I was only able to get them to cover one item, cost $280.00, sure it helped, but to me not worth paying $1000 for only $280 worth of repair. Maybe I just did not have the right things go wrong on my bike for them to cover

·
Registered
345 Posts
Extended Warranty

TimVipond said:
I'd advise if you own a pre 2005 model and ride it alot, then the warranty should be worth it. Lots of clutch, throttle/cruise cables, transmission, final drive, engine/coolant seals, radio and ABS brake problems. All VERY expensive and paid for many expensive repairs for my 136,000 mile 2000 K1200LT. I'm considering one for my 2006 and waiting to see if expensive problems begin cropping up with the 2005/6 models. I will likely wait till 35,000 miles which will probably be this time next year and make my decision. I will also have the engine, transmission and final drive oils analyzed to see if everything is in good shape or not. The only reported problems I've noticed with the 2005/6 models is with the centerstand. Anybody agree or disagree with my thinking?
I very much agree with you. My 2005 has had very little problems. When it was new the weather band on my radio did not work properly, which was no big thing. It was replaced under warranty. Also I did have a seal leak on the right front fork and a seal start leaking on the out put shaft of the transmission, again these were taken care of by warranty. When they replaced the seal in the transmission is when I had the dealer drill the weep hole for the slave cylinder. This was all in the first 20,000 miles. I now have 35,600 miles and have had no other problems. I have had no centerstand problems. I am like you I did wait until I had 35,000 miles on the bike. It is now covered until Feb. 2011.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Sheldon - what problems did you have that were not covered by your warranty?

JerryM - thank you for your comments.

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
messenger13 said:
That's the part I disagree with. I wouldn't pay $1K more for a used bike with an extended warranty. Perhaps some would. I just don't think you can make that blanket statement.
I agree with that statement. I would also be more likely to buy a bike with an extended warranty than one without... but not for another $1000.00.

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
I would

If I were in your shoes, I think I would go ahead and purchase the warranty. I have a 2000 LT and it need a new ABS system, and the parts alone are 1500. Wished I had an extended warranty. With all the things that can go wrong with the LT's, and the cost of the parts and labor for repairing them, I think it is pretty cheap insurance. I am not sure if I would pay an extra 1000 for a used bike with a warranty, but I do think I would pay more for one that had one, than one than did not. I don't know how the BMW warranties are, but I once had an extended warranty on a Harley, and I traded the bike in at my dealer, and I was given a rebate on the unused part of the warranty. Just my opinion. jrlakin

·
Registered
287 Posts
I just bought a 2003 LT and the final decisiong factor for me was that it had an extended warrantee through 2009. I likely would have bought a diff bike but they were out of warrantee. This becomes quite important to me right now as I stand in the rain stranded because the bike will not shift. AAA on the way: I am already cashing in. I wouldn't ride without one. Just my two (wet) pennies.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
BillSue said:

I have one on my bike, and I'll tell you why,

I had planned on keeping it for four or five years or so when I bought the bike, I knew I would put a ton of miles on it, in fact it was out of factory warranty by miles the first year I owned it.

I did not want to have to lay out cash if I had a failure while traveling to far off places, face it if it breaks at home you can probably save a ton of money anyhow.

if you are planning on keeping the bike for years and are going to put a bunch more miles on it and you want peace of mind that you will not have to lay out a ton of Cash to repair or replace things like final drives, tranny's engine, you can probably justify it.
If you plan on keeping the bike another year or so then no I wouldn't buy one.

JMHO as a tech for years, extend-eds are great money makers for the sellers I mean GREAT, they used to have a TON of markup, I don;t know what it is now

Tom

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mu 2 cents

BillSue said:

How qualified of a wrench are you? Many of the people responding are quite mechanical and can smell problems before they developed into EXPENSIVE ones.
Whether or not you are mechanically inclined may impact your considering the extended warranty.
Even when I have a warranty repair done by the dealer, I end up rechecking their work.:crazy: I got one for my Mom's car, didn't for ours.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts