BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a mod that anyone has come up with that stops the back section of the exhaust from going black? Although I clean this section with Sonax engine cleaner each time I wash my bike, it seems a pity that BMW never thought about the consequences of turning the tail pipe down to flow over the back of the exhaust can leaving the black sooty carbon residue.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
birdman said:
Is there a mod that anyone has come up with that stops the back section of the exhaust from going black? Although I clean this section with Sonax engine cleaner each time I wash my bike, it seems a pity that BMW never thought about the consequences of turning the tail pipe down to flow over the back of the exhaust can leaving the black sooty carbon residue.
Don't assume they didn't. It's more likely that the need to turn it down to help meet max. noise regulations trumped the desire to maintain cleanliness (bouncing exhaust sound off the pavement before it hits the dB meter helps dissipate the sound energy).

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I cut off the down-turned end, slash-cut the chrome cover and pushed it on farther, put a new bolthole in the cover, problem solved. Sorry I don't have pics. But with the catalytic converter also removed from inside the first box it runs great and sounds great.

·
Registered
866 Posts
WOW, sounds like a good fix- Wish you could post a pic of that modification

1 - 4 of 4 Posts