BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my LT torn down and I'm replacing the transmission output shaft seal. Some of my exhaust studs came out instead of the nuts coming loose. Should I put the studs back and LocTite them or just put them back like they are and leave the nuts on? Just wondering....... :confused:

·
Registered
929 Posts
rattler50 said:
I have my LT torn down and I'm replacing the transmission output shaft seal. Some of my exhaust studs came out instead of the nuts coming loose. Should I put the studs back and LocTite them or just put them back like they are and leave the nuts on? Just wondering....... :confused:
That's what I did on one of my studs. Haven't had any problems with mine...but I'm the kind of guy that prefers the easy way. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got them put back in. The oxygen sensor was the hard part. I couldn't get the muffler back into the hanger so I smeared a little grease on the hook. It was so slick I couldn't keep it in the hanger then. It kept sliding out but I finally got it. I replaced the transmission output seal and drilled the weep hole and changed the coolant. I fixed the lock on the oddments box while I had the stingray off. It's all back together and running good. I'm ready to ride to Maggie Valley now. I'm just waiting for April 30 so I can head out.............. :D

·
Registered
637 Posts
I suggest clamping the stud in some soft jaws in a vise & seeing if you can get the nuts loose from those studs that came out. Then double nut them & reinstall the studs using locktite & screwing them in as far as you can.

Then when you are assembling the exhaust connections, use some hi-temp anti seize on all nut threads so the next time things will separate at the nut/stud interface.

Better yet of course is to install a new stud. But either way, use antiseize!

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
niel_petersen said:
I suggest clamping the stud in some soft jaws in a vise & seeing if you can get the nuts loose from those studs that came out. Then double nut them & reinstall the studs using locktite & screwing them in as far as you can.

Then when you are assembling the exhaust connections, use some hi-temp anti seize on all nut threads so the next time things will separate at the nut/stud interface.

Better yet of course is to install a new stud. But either way, use antiseize!
Yup, I was gonna suggest anti-seize too.
I'd put the stud in a vise or grab it with a ViseGrip. I'd heat the nut or at least let it sit with penetrating fluid over night. If heat is used, heat it first, then quench it with cold water, then apply removing torque; this is less likely to damage the threads when removing the nut.
If the vise or ViseGrips mildly gall the threads of the stud, that's not bad, it'll help the stud stay in the block. Agree with the suggestion of red Loctite on the engine block end of the studs and anti-seize on the nut end.

HTH

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
niel_petersen said:
You can try that double nut trick. I was watching a show and they mention that method, but suggested another way. And used one of these, (although not from Sears) http://www.sears.com/shc/s/s_10153_...+tools&autoRedirect=true&i_cntr=1333989094952

·
Registered
498 Posts
jello4 said:
I bought new studs and nuts... I'm kind of goofy that way. Cost way less than I thought <$20 if I remember correctly. My dealer had the parts in stock.
+1

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I removed the nuts and cleaned the studs and reinstalled them. It all went back together fine........... :D

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
rattler50 said:
I removed the nuts and cleaned the studs and reinstalled them. It all went back together fine........... :D
Excellent!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts