BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You Know.........my new exhaust note sounds kind of cool, but I'm getting ready to go to the CCR, and I don't think I want to ride a thousand miles with what sounds like the beginnings of an exhaust leak. So I tear it apart, and here's what I find.
What the heck........while I'm at it I might as well....

Attachments

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Good find and you did get a bit carried away!! That bike is just way too clean!! Now I want to know what that is behind the parts!!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1959 Morris Minor (it's the classic Mini's older brother)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
I kind of thought so but I said no way. That was the first car I ever drove (sitting on a pilow). I have not seen one of those in quite awhile. Nice!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
That is the first car I ever drove, a Morris Minor, in Italy! My parents had one, with a faulty heater, and once I drove from Aviano to Roveredo with my head sticking out the window because the windshiled was iced up. :histerica

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Just curious, but what were you up to that prompted the removal of so many body parts? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
+1! I don't believe I have ever removed the Saddlebags & associated Tupperware!

John
fpmlt said:
Just curious, but what were you up to that prompted the removal of so many body parts? Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You might want to go ahead and clean the "insides" as long as she's naked....

Just kidding as she looks spotless. I'm really impressed with how clean the header area is.

When I replaced my standard exhaust with the Remus, my headers were rusted and pretty grimy. What did you used to get it so clean? Looks really like new!

Just a hit to anyone replacing the copper bushings, coat them with grease and they won't fall off as you line up the pipes.

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,997 Posts
AlaskaFish said:
+1! I don't believe I have ever removed the Saddlebags & associated Tupperware!

John
I do that once a year to clean & check everything for the next year.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Lets See......................
The Morris Minor is a British car, so the heater only works in summer. It doesn't work in winter by design. (same with the defogger). I learned to drive in this car, took my first drivers test with it, drove it in high school & my Wife & I drove it on our first date.
They are still out there, you will see them from time to time.

If you own a British car......You'd better not be afraid of tinkering, so I guess that's just what happened here. Everything is easier to get to with the side cases off........besides, once you get there, they're only held on with four bolts...Easy !! (you will be amazed how much fun bleeding the rear brake is with all that stuff out of the way.

The exhaust manifold was just 'like' that when I got to it ?? (2000 LT, 40,000 miles)
The last owner took pretty good care of it !

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Since you've explained it THAT way, it makes sense to me. I bought this, complete and running, and decided to rebuild the engine. This is where I am so far. Guess this qualifies as "tinkering"? :histerica

Attachments

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YES !! Now that IS tinkering !!

I'll bet that I can get my LT to Boise before your MG.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts