BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have developed a rattle in the exhaust on my 99 K1200LT. It appears to be coming from the collector that is between the manifold and pipe. I don't believe the bike has a catalytic converter (not sure if the 99 hade one). Any ideas? :( :(

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Check the bolt (s) underneath that hold it to the frame. They have been know to loosen and fall out. Most likely not one of the header bolts, but maybe check them too.

also .....Simular threads below...

·
Registered
261 Posts
first off:

all K engines -- starting in 1985 -- had catalytic converters as original equipment. as one of the first electronically fuel injected motorcycle powerplants, the cat came with the territory.

second -- the early production run 1999s did not have the secondary bracket and center support bolts that dan alludes to -- i know because my (departed) 1999 didn't have one, or the bash plate under the engine, either. both were "quick-fix-engineering" updates that were placed into production after a rash of exhaust system failures and oil pan 'ground outs' got the factory's attention.

bikes that were built without the exhaust hanger bracket or bash plate were retrofitted by dealers if the owner requested it. so, it is entirely possible, if your bike was not dealer maintained and/or you are not the original owner, that the bike does not have the center support bracket that dan mentions.

with that out of the way, here are your list of possibilities.

1) rattle from a broken cat -- it happens, but its a rare failure in BMW cats. don't ask me about dodge trucks, tho. ;-)

2) broken exhaust header flange -- the flange that is used to secure the pipe to the heads is welded on. the weld can break causing the header pipe -- that is now floating loose to make a fair amount of noise. this is sneaky to identify because everything appears hunky dori upon inspection, but parts are flying around anyway. bikes exhibiting this failure will make more noise when cold, and settle down a bit when fully warm. fix is simple - remove the system, have the flange rewelded. replace. this is more likely to happen if your bike doesn't have the center support bracket.

3) Loose header nuts -- carefully check torque -- overenthusiam with a wrench can produce #2, above =8-o

4) the center support bracket looks like a large, poorly fabbed (they were in a hurry) triangle of aluminum billet that sits directly underneath your transmission drain bolt. these bolts can shake out.

good luck, hope its something simple. ;-)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just picked up an 06 to replace my 02 and it has a "rattle" of sorts as well.

I noticed that it is most pronounced at 2000 rpms. With the bike on center stand if I rev it, fast or slowly, it begins it's rattle (which sounds like some coins in a can) at almost precisely 2000rpms... :confused: By 2300 it goes away.

I thought maybe it was spring plates in the clutch or broken cat or something else. Does not sound like the motor itself from what I can tell and is coming from somewhere right around the rider footpegs or forward (as best as I can tell by myself)

My 02 never had this rattle and ran quiet and smooth, like a Swiss watch.

The bike also had the noises associated with plastic parts fitted together which I've eliminated most of already. And the brakes squeal and make noise even when not applied.

The rear seems the culprit as was the case with my 02. But no cow bell. Just very noisy squeal.

Any suggestions on this rattle are much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
brandydog said:
I have developed a rattle in the exhaust on my 99 K1200LT. It appears to be coming from the collector that is between the manifold and pipe. I don't believe the bike has a catalytic converter (not sure if the 99 hade one). Any ideas? :( :(

Did you get it fixed? Still betting on the bolts to hold it on. I've had them loosen up and actually had one fall out.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Did an Iron Butt from south Florida to home yesterday and somewhere along the way I noticed a tinging rattle from the exhaust when idling, went away with any rpms. I knew it was the heat shield because you could here the sound if you tapped on it. Under the left case one screw was missing and the other was loose.

·
Registered
33 Posts
DanDiver said:
Check the bolt (s) underneath that hold it to the frame. They have been know to loosen and fall out. Most likely not one of the header bolts, but maybe check them too.

also .....Simular threads below...
Looking underneath my bike, I found a welded on clamp of sorts that certainly appears should have a bolt through it ... but there's none there. It looks to be just past the headers, before the cats. 2 holes like up on this "C" shaped clamp ... no bolt.

Could this be the the area that's supposed to hold the exhaust to the frame???

I need a mirror or something to really get a good look at it, but it does appear something's missing...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Parts missing or exhaust change???

I do not have any of these parts on mine from 13-22 :confused:

The exhaust also appears to be a bit different as the mounting plates on the exhaust on mine are not on the cat, but on the pipe just before them.

This appears to be the set up for pre 2005 bikes with hydraulic lift??? But I cannot find the fische for post 2005. :(

·
Registered
33 Posts
BTW ... from everything I can gather, my rattle is coming from this area and actually sounds like something in the cat itself. When I rap on the cat I get the same high pitched rattle sound. Trying to hold the clamp area tight seems to reduce the sound a bit. :confused:

Bad cat?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts