BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I need some assistance yet again. It seems that I have finally solved my clutch problems. Thanks to Dave I have found out that the combination of riding at low RPM's and an exhaust rattle will give the appearances of a clutch problem.

I solved the riding at low RPM issue, but now for the hard part. How do I find that rattle? It looks like the tupperware would need to come off, right? Is there a common place that the exhaust system loosens?

For what its worth the rattle is coming from the engine area and not the rear it seems but I will try anything.

As always your help is appreciated.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Exhaust Rattle

mowoc,

Happy to hear it wasn't a clutch afterall. I am new around these parts, but this is one that I have experienced. With mine the heat shield was slightly loose and the induced vibration from the motor was causing it to vibrate. You can lay down on the floor and reach in and feel if the shield is loose.

As for a fix, I put a Remus exhaust system on mine. I am sure that any one of the seasoned veterans will offer a fix to you soon, as they are fabulous here for that.

Good luck.

John

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Where is the heat shield? Is that on the rear of the bike, or by the heads?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
mowoc said:
Greetings,

I need some assistance yet again. It seems that I have finally solved my clutch problems. Thanks to Dave I have found out that the combination of riding at low RPM's and an exhaust rattle will give the appearances of a clutch problem.

I solved the riding at low RPM issue, but now for the hard part. How do I find that rattle? It looks like the tupperware would need to come off, right? Is there a common place that the exhaust system loosens?

For what its worth the rattle is coming from the engine area and not the rear it seems but I will try anything.

As always your help is appreciated.
When I had an exhaust rattle at low RPM, and coming from the engine area, it was broken header pipes inside the flanges that hold the system into the head. my front two were broken.

You can check this buy loosening all the header nuts to allow the exhaust to drop down just a little to take pressure off of the flanges (may have to remove the hanger above the centerstand bracket) then try to turn them. If one or more turn at all, you have to remove the exhaust and have them welded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts