BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Exhaust Mods

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  vipers28 
#1 ·
Alright peoples need some advice here from someone who may be ready to cross the same bridge.

After many years with the Remus / Computer Chip Upgrade / 4" tube steel insert I am now ready to quiet this buggy down (1999 Model Year).

It still runs good for me and I probably wont upgrade to the "Replacment" I will treat it like I treated my Bonny for a couple of decades. Restore, Restore, Restore.

So has anyone thought about replaceing the Remus alone and keeping the header system? Might require some TIG work or good sleeve of somekind. I dont know if you can just buy a stock muffler by it self or do you have to buy the whole exhaust system. I guess I should check out the used market for a stock muffler etc.

I know about the squeeze play on the end of a new 4" insert and I have the pieces to do that but at this point in time I would like to go "Quiet"

Any suggestions?

Thanks Steve

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Hey Steve, I would post an ad in the classifieds looking for a low mileage stock exhaust system front to rear. Got to be a few out there who bought Remus and still have the stocker hanging in the garage.

Loren

#3 ·
You might get someone to trade with you.

When I replaced my stock pipe with a Remus I ended up giving away my stock pipe. It was too big and bulky and I couldn't get enough for it to make the sale worthwhile.

#5 ·
Personally would remove muffler can from collector extension tube.
Take a look down into muffler and come up with some simple ingenious baffle that go's in ahead of the muffler ... betcha dollars too donuts you could kill a lot of noise with a simple baffle of some sort ?

#6 ·
So you want me to be "Ingenious" at our age LOL????

I think the eaisest thing would be to adapt a good condition used stock muffler but I havent looked at it real close yet.

Later Steve

motorhead said:
Personally would remove muffler can from collector extension tube.
Take a look down into muffler and come up with some simple ingenious baffle that go's in ahead of the muffler ... betcha dollars too donuts you could kill a lot of noise with a simple baffle of some sort ?

#7 ·
I was just at South Sound this weekend and looked at getting the Remus for my LT. The salesman said they offer 2 version, quiet and louder. I am leaning towards the quiet one. I didn't realize Remus or anyone else made one for the LT's. Those that have it was it worth it? Any noticable differences? Should I chip it at the same time? If so which brand? Thanks

#8 ·
vipers28 said:
I was just at South Sound this weekend and looked at getting the Remus for my LT. The salesman said they offer 2 version, quiet and louder. I am leaning towards the quiet one. I didn't realize Remus or anyone else made one for the LT's. Those that have it was it worth it? Any noticable differences? Should I chip it at the same time? If so which brand? Thanks
You have a 2009.
I don't think a chip is needed.

Now a rumble will be debated.

#9 ·
Theres been alot of talk about the Remus over the years and alot of us have the after market exhaust system installed. Even with the "Quiet" can the noise is very noticable, not as loud as a kid on a sport bike but still loud. Thats why the 4" tube steel is installed on many bikes. It works very well.

As I was saying earlier that for me it is time to go quiet again. I want to keep the headers and the chip but change out the can. I dont think I will take too big of a hit with just that change. I certainly dont want to go back to stock and have that engine hesitation at 4300 RPM that I use to have. Almost forgot about that LOL.

I dont know how the newer models would repond to a new chip but any engine will do better with better breathing.

Personally if it were me and the engine "Didnt" have that 4300 RPM problem I would spend the money on other "Farkels" to suit your tastes.

Good Luck with your decision

Steve

#10 ·
It is a 2009 and runs smooth but I want a little more power. I really don't want too much noise as my CFO won't appreciate it, me I don't mind it. Not sure what other farckles I need for it. Sorry not trying to hijack your tread. Thanks for the input but I am still not any closer to a decision. :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.