BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently spending weekends stripping down the bike to change the clutch, and took the exhaust off yesterday.
I noticed in Clymer manual it said "change gaskets" when reinstalling....
trouble was I didn't notice anything that looks like a gasket when I took it off.
Check the MAX BMW fische it says there are "gasket rings" that look like big crush washers.

Can they get stuck up on the engine as they certainly weren't on the exhaust?
At work at moment so won't get to look again till tonight...

Guess I need to buy 4 for the re-install?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Should be there, maybe stuck in the head

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yes, they look look just like the picture, but they will be somewhat flattened out now. And yes, they pretty much always stick up in the head. You can pop them out with will a small screwdriver or pick.

That being said, unless one or more of them were leaking, which is highly unlikely, you don't need to change them.

GB

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thx guys. No signs of leaks but for a couple of bucks I'll put some new ones on I guess to make sure.

sigh.. just rang our local stealer... as usual parts are about 30%-50% more than in US.... US$2.21 each on MAX site, Au$3.76 each here....
this is one item I missed ordering from the US, although I bought a set of 4 for Linton (Axle)... damn it. :mad:

Wonder what else I've missed... :(

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Put a little grease on them before you install them in the head & they will stay there while you install the exhaust system.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will do, thx Dave.
Your 30mm cutout got put to use the other day, but I've forgotten what that other short round tool/device with the 2 brownish rings I got off you was for, guess its a seal depth something or other... been too long getting around to this. :rolleyes:
Will have to do some more research... I know I bought it for a reason... :D

thats was quick - found it... "custom made reinforced 14 mm socket for the swing arm pivot pins" ;-)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
This is what they look like after they are crushed and carboned up a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thx John, :wave that's what I saw when I put a light under the engine.
Picked up new ones this morning so the old will come out.
cheers

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Put a little grease on them before you install them in the head & they will stay there while you install the exhaust system.
Dave, do you know if silicone grease causes any issues with O2 sensors like RTV silicone does? Just curious if you used regular old grease for sticking them on.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
Dave, do you know if silicone grease causes any issues with O2 sensors like RTV silicone does? Just curious if you used regular old grease for sticking them on.
It is the out gassing of acetic acid from the RTV that kills the sensors. Silicone grease does not do that.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
is a little bit of 3% moly grease OK to use?

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts
Any grease is fine. I always re-torque the nuts several times over a few hours because the rings take a little time to compress.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good tip, thx Dave.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
It is the out gassing of acetic acid from the RTV that kills the sensors. Silicone grease does not do that.
Thanks John. I knew it was some type of gas the RTV gave off. Didn't know if maybe heating up the regular silicone based grease might do the same. The only stupid question is the one I should have asked after it costs me money or pain.

·
Registered
371 Posts

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey thanks Richard.... good to know for future anyway. Would have been half the price of the new gasket rings and I have a Supercheap account card too! It's one of the places where I get my oils and other basic stuff.
Thanks for looking, very appreciated! :wave

·
Registered
371 Posts
Anything for my Aussie friends. Had been looking at living their with my cuz in Cairns but ended up in Canada with the lovely long winters Brrrrrrr. Wife and daughters still hating me. Lol. yeah that putty I mentioned just needed a smear would work well and cleaned of easy on removal, great stuff. Same as the Permatex in Aus

·
Premium Member
7,623 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts