BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ewan McGregor of "Long Way Round" documentary and book fame is in the Wall Street Journal today listing his five favorite bikes. Interesting that BMW, his sponsor for his doocumentary, didn't make the list. I wonder if they will sponsor his next adventure?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,820 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1930 Crocker
1950's Triumph Speed Twin Bobber
Indian Larry Legacy Chopper
1970 Ossa or Macco dirt bike
1970's Moto-Guzzi Ambasador or El Dorado
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
So...an actor (and NOT a very good rider) spews a list of his 5 favourite bikes and I'm supposed to care? I don't think so.

Come to think of it! I'm not so sure a BMW would make my Top 5 either. :p :D



Oh ... who am I kidding? I would never betray my dream of owning a 1927 R47. :cool:


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
messenger13 said:
Oh ... who am I kidding? I would never betray my dream of owning a 1927 R47. :cool:
Joe, you beat me by 10 years - I've just sold a 1937 Norton. I rebuilt it from a pile of scrap I found in a shipyard in Malta - enjoyed building it, but riding it was Shoite - and to think when it was new, there very few tarmac roads in Britain, but this was one of the most common means of transport :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,916 Posts
If you remember "Long Way Round", BMW was not their first choice. KTM was but would not sponsor their trip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
Woolly said:
Joe, you beat me by 10 years - I've just sold a 1937 Norton. I rebuilt it from a pile of scrap I found in a shipyard in Malta - enjoyed building it, but riding it was Shoite - and to think when it was new, there very few tarmac roads in Britain, but this was one of the most common means of transport :(
WOW! I would've loved to take that one for a spin. :( She's a real beauty Whoolly.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,572 Posts
An actor who's ridden around the globe and the length of Africa. When you've accomplished that, then maybe you can discuss how well he can ride. Until then you're not even in his league. :)

Not everyone can be defined purely by their day job . . .

As for favorite bikes, I'd love a straight-4 Indian.



Or maybe a 1911 model to go with our historic house.



But where would I mount the highway pegs? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
BLBantz said:
Ewan McGregor of "Long Way Round" documentary and book fame is in the Wall Street Journal today listing his five favorite bikes. Interesting that BMW, his sponsor for his doocumentary, didn't make the list. I wonder if they will sponsor his next adventure?
Here is a link to the article. I believe this link does not require an online subscription.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120069768751301549.html?mod=todays_us_weekend_journal

BTW, the article describes the list as "five of his favorite motorcycles." This section of the WSJ, for those of you who are not regular readers, usually lists the favorite albums of artists or producers, or similar lists of media. These lists almost always consist of works released a decade or more ago. So I would not read too much into an R1200GSA not making this list. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
messenger13 said:
WOW! I would've loved to take that one for a spin. :(
Sorry, Joe it's gone, you'll just have 2 slum it on the Ducati - or enjoy the Bonnie - which is gettin rebuilt (again) - just cosmetics !!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
meese said:
An actor who's ridden around the globe and the length of Africa. When you've accomplished that, then maybe you can discuss how well he can ride. Until then you're not even in his league. :)
I was asked at work recently, if I would have liked to have gone with them on the long way down in Africa.
I said I would have gone, so long as they didnt ride anywhere near me.
One keeps pulling wheelies - even if he is hundreds of miles away from a hospital.
The other keeps putting his frount brake on in corners on gravel - just don't seem to learn from his mistakes.
AND they keep moaning all the time - GEEZ, they have the ride of their life and they moan all the time!!! (says me moaning.................) :mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,952 Posts
c00k1e said:
I was asked at work recently, if I would have liked to have gone with them on the long way down in Africa.
I said I would have gone, so long as they didnt ride anywhere near me.
One keeps pulling wheelies - even if he is hundreds of miles away from a hospital.
The other keeps putting his frount brake on in corners on gravel - just don't seem to learn from his mistakes.
AND they keep moaning all the time - GEEZ, they have the ride of their life and they moan all the time!!! (says me moaning.................) :mad:
Just watched the 1st three episodes last night. I've moaned with hard, cold rain. Never got caught in a sand storm but I'd probably moan about that.

I'm moaning because they just flew down the boot of Italy and missed some great Tuscan landscapes. They did make a brief stop in Siena but didn't find any great gelato shops! That concoction is to die for. :yeah:

I'm amazed with the Roman ruins in North Africa. I would have gotten double chills after riding the Appian Way and then sitting on a crapper that some gladiator used centuries ago! What a trip :thumb:

Guess the ultimate moan so far was Ewan's disappointment when they visited the desert set of Star Wars and no one recognized him. :eek: What a way to deflate an actor's ego. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,492 Posts
c00k1e said:
I was asked at work recently, if I would have liked to have gone with them on the long way down in Africa.
I said I would have gone, so long as they didnt ride anywhere near me.
One keeps pulling wheelies - even if he is hundreds of miles away from a hospital.
The other keeps putting his frount brake on in corners on gravel - just don't seem to learn from his mistakes.
AND they keep moaning all the time - GEEZ, they have the ride of their life and they moan all the time!!! (says me moaning.................) :mad:
confused bout exactly what's happenin, but lookin forward to riding back with you through the Baltic States on the way back from Finland. SHMBO wants to call in at Auswitczh and whats left of the Berlin Wall on the way back, then leaving from Amsterdam.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,882 Posts
Woolly said:
confused bout exactly what's happenin, but lookin forward to riding back with you through the Baltic States on the way back from Finland. SHMBO wants to call in at Auswitczh and whats left of the Berlin Wall on the way back, then leaving from Amsterdam.
Same here - you won't hear me moanin', but SWMBO is good at it - just ignor her. :)
Saw Berlin last year, saw 10 foot of wall, not sure if there is much more left. But the city is quite a sight, worth seeing. Not nearly as much of a challenge to get to the center as I imagined.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
meese said:
An actor who's ridden around the globe and the length of Africa. When you've accomplished that, then maybe you can discuss how well he can ride. Until then you're not even in his league. :)
Spoken like a true member of the IBA. You ain't squat unless you ride far! HA!!! I know guys that have never left Ohio that will smoke you.

And besides ... I'm pretty sure that I have more miles on two wheels than good ol' Mr. McGregor. So I guess that means that I'm the better rider. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,852 Posts
I wonder just how sour these grapes really are. LOL.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top