BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
@thelist Follow the thread The TFT on the 21RT and why I gave it a dedicated phone, some very good news and more importantly we now have a way to get some things done (i.e. rattle the cage).

I am looking forward to what they say next week (I even have a promise of a date)

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having had the 21 RT for some three months I have reached the limit of my patience with the TFT and BMW App. I simply cannot get it to work in a reliable way. On the other post I have going I will put up a video of my latest experiments which have led me no where.

BMW help is useless and I need a reliable Sat Nav and I like music so I am not looking at putting a XT on the handlebar, in the past I have had a Zumo and BMW Nav IV, V and VI.

So how do you mount them and charge them, will it take a USB charger? I have a USB charger in the phone pocket and might as well use it for something.

Any help much appreciated.
I must say I admire the patience that all of you have. I gave up soon after many failed navigation attempts. When a sacrificial phone appears, maybe, I’ll reinvestigate the situation.

I picked up my new 2021 R1250RT on May 8 from Cycle Werks in Barrington, IL. I was looking for most anything on the showroom floor and the lack of inventory at dealers anywhere in this region led me here. My 2016 Yamaha FJR1300 is in the shop and was waiting for a 2nd gear recall parts shipment that finally arrived this week (101 days in the shop). My lack of patience (again) led me to the new RT.

For your reference:

The following picture shows how I mounted my Garmin 396 GPS that works well for me. The Zumo XT is on sale now and I’m on the fence whether to switch.

- Wunderlich America: Part # 21211102 Mirror Adapter Set $59.95
(only used ONE, if anyone needs the other, let me know. They only had the set in stock at the time.)

- RAM Mount Small Motorcycle Mount Base 11mm Hole (RAM-B-252U) & local sourced SS bolt.

I hardwired in the power cable to the right side utility socket behind the panel with “SAE” connectors to allow future changes. Two wire SAE connectors are available most anywhere here, auto parts stores, walmarts etc.

Presently, I do not use the nav unit on the TFT. With my poor hearing, music and other audibles aren’t required either. The turn directions come through to my head set only to serve as a prompt for me to check the GPS screen. I’m thinking of covering the constantly flashing connection indicator with black electrical tape.

Otherwise, I enjoy the readability of the TFT and don’t worry so much about positioning of details or the many screens to go thru for particular information. I’m comfortable that things will settle with software changes.

-Joe

·
Registered
2009 R1200RT Low
14 Posts
My Zumo 550 (old but still ticking) uses a mount that replaces the clutch master cylinder top. Just a heads-up .... you have looked into using BaseCamp?🙄

·
Registered
27 Posts
So I updated the app and it seemed to make the nav function better. Better stability on the connection. However, still having some issues with the music function. But then as I was playing around with it I realized something, the ability to control the music through the bike is actually more work then just using my cardo. I can control volume, turn-0n/off and skip tracks with just a quick touch on the cardo (or voice controls) instead of having to look down to select media on the system. So I will just keep my cardo connected to the phone and not connect the headset to the bike. Now I usually don't have voice control for the nav on, so I need to test it to see if this still works. I am using an old iPhone as the bike phone. No SIM card so no phone cards, which is OK with me. The big test will be next month on our next 6 day trip into British Columbia, unless the border is still closed and then it is off to Idaho, northern Washington, and Montana.

·
Registered
39 Posts
After reading all of the above, glad I bought a 2020 rt.
Looked at the the w-i-d-e screen on a 2021 at dealer, sometimes analog readouts are better than digital. They tell you which direction you are going rather than where you are at this time.
Years ago, this was a problem when electronic instruments went from analog to digital.
Problem was cured when some instrument manufacturers had both in the same package
For me, I did not like hearing that you get a overheat red light for a hot engine rather than a bar graph display for engine temp.
Q here: wonder how many buyers would opt for which system if there was a option?
Only Berlin seems to know best?
Gary, aka RRGary

·
Registered
19 Posts
Looked at the the w-i-d-e screen on a 2021 at dealer, sometimes analog readouts are better than digital. They tell you which direction you are going rather than where you are at this time.
Years ago, this was a problem when electronic instruments went from analog to digital.
Problem was cured when some instrument manufacturers had both in the same package
For me, I did not like hearing that you get a overheat red light for a hot engine rather than a bar graph display for engine temp.
Q here: wonder how many buyers would opt for which system if there was a option?
Gary, aka RRGary
I bought a 2021 RT and I love it! It is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I had two prior RT’s, a 2004 and a 2012. This new model is far superior to those bikes. The adaptive cruise control is super and I use it all the time. The TFT screen shows all the info I will ever need and it is bright enough to see on sunny days. (Every day here in Florida!) As far as the TFT connection problems, I don’t fret about that. They will fix it at some point. It is important for people to report problems, though, so BMW can fix them. I have a 2019 Trek bicycle and a Garmin 1030 computer. What a mess that was! The Bluetooth on the Garmin kept dropping the phone connection, etc. I gave up calling Garmin. They blamed it on Apple and Google, and everyone else blamed Garmin for the mess. It took about eight months for all the problems to be resolved. This new motorcycle is great! Yeah, the TFT software will take some time to fix, but it is still the best BMW RT they have ever made. You can’t get blinded by one problem and forget all the other good points. I love my ‘21 RT!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I must say I admire the patience that all of you have. I gave up soon after many failed navigation attempts. When a sacrificial phone appears, maybe, I’ll reinvestigate the situation.

I picked up my new 2021 R1250RT on May 8 from Cycle Werks in Barrington, IL. I was looking for most anything on the showroom floor and the lack of inventory at dealers anywhere in this region led me here. My 2016 Yamaha FJR1300 is in the shop and was waiting for a 2nd gear recall parts shipment that finally arrived this week (101 days in the shop). My lack of patience (again) led me to the new RT.

For your reference:

The following picture shows how I mounted my Garmin 396 GPS that works well for me. The Zumo XT is on sale now and I’m on the fence whether to switch.

- Wunderlich America: Part # 21211102 Mirror Adapter Set $59.95
(only used ONE, if anyone needs the other, let me know. They only had the set in stock at the time.)

- RAM Mount Small Motorcycle Mount Base 11mm Hole (RAM-B-252U) & local sourced SS bolt.

I hardwired in the power cable to the right side utility socket behind the panel with “SAE” connectors to allow future changes. Two wire SAE connectors are available most anywhere here, auto parts stores, walmarts etc.

View attachment 173805

Presently, I do not use the nav unit on the TFT. With my poor hearing, music and other audibles aren’t required either. The turn directions come through to my head set only to serve as a prompt for me to check the GPS screen. I’m thinking of covering the constantly flashing connection indicator with black electrical tape.

Otherwise, I enjoy the readability of the TFT and don’t worry so much about positioning of details or the many screens to go thru for particular information. I’m comfortable that things will settle with software changes.

-Joe

Pleased I didn't buy the RT just for the TFT agree re GPS

·
Registered
68 Posts
My guess is that even if Mother Beema fixes this thing, I might prefer to travel with a Zumo. I guess old habits die hard...or don't die I should say.
I agree, my ZumoXT with the touchscreen is way easier to use quickly, I don't think I will ever use the TFT for audio, it doesn't have the full list of my contacts for phone etc etc

·
Registered
139 Posts
BMW's blunder is not supporting Android Auto and Apple Car play. Factory navigation systems in cars generally suck as they are cumbersome and madding to try and interact with voice commands. When we bought our 2020 Mazda CX 5 we intentionally got it without the factory navigation. With Android Auto you can easily use voice commands to tell it where to take you to, stop music, etc. That's what we need on motorcycles. Easy to use voice commands. Far less hassle and FAR less distracting. I believe BMW did the same thing in their cars. Late to add Android Auto and Apple Car Play. An audio and navigation system on a beautiful TFT is useless if the software sucks. Oh, and the speakers still suck too.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Gary, aka RRGary
Glad I got a 2019! From what I have read on the functionality of this TFT/Nav/Audio System I would actually not buy a 2021. I'd rather keep the old instruments, have no factory nav, no factory audio and keep the led adaptive lighting and cruise control. Oh, and with the 2021, you lose the ability to mount your own GPS directly in front of you. My 2019 RT may be the last one I ever buy because Berlin still thinks they know best.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad I got a 2019! From what I have read on the functionality of this TFT/Nav/Audio System I would actually not buy a 2021. I'd rather keep the old instruments, have no factory nav, no factory audio and keep the led adaptive lighting and cruise control. Oh, and with the 2021, you lose the ability to mount your own GPS directly in front of you. My 2019 RT may be the last one I ever buy because Berlin still thinks they know best.
Scott, I had a 2014RT before the 2021, I bought that off a mate, some may say I stole, it had 7085k on it when I purchased it in late 2018. There was a time in my youth when I kept bikes months or a year or two at most, age, children, houses, work changed that! Sold the 2014RT for a $4,000 profit :)

I had never ridden a 1250 of any kind before, I don't do demo rides. What I can say is that the changes are amazing, I believe there are some also added from your 2019. I didn't like the look of the TFT GPS screen I had been spoilt by my Zumo XT. BMW will solve the issue probably sooner than later with flaky connectivity of phones/helmets etc etc I also have a Quadlock on the LH side.

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
So this is plan B. I already have a cockpit bag but it does not have a phone window so I just ordered this one and will put my almost new cockpit bag up for sale.

If I get caught short on one of my tours and the BMW TFT screen fails me then I will stick my personal phone in this and wire it up to the USB connection in the phone pocket.

I use the Co-Pilot navigation App software when not on the bike, I have maps for North America and all of Europe, I think the maps cost me around £20 per continent, they are stored on the phone and I have used them in Canada, USA and around Europe when in a car. I can plan trips using Google maps or MyRouteApp and convert the route to the TRP format using ITN converter. Then I can easily store them on Co-pilot. We used Co-pilot when touring Canada two years ago and it was perfect, I had routes stored, hotels setup as favourites etc. and I easily drove around Toronto and then the Rockies, eventually ending up in Vancouver.

I plan to Bluetooth my personal phone to my Sena SRL on phone 2 so when I plan a tour I will have the routes stored on the BMW App on the bike phone and on Co-pilot on my personal phone. This may sound as overkill, but having a backup plan in the event of a navigation failure is important to me. I am planning a four day trip to Wales at the minute along with another three mates who have no Sat Nav's (lazy sods), they leave it to me to sort out where to go and of course how to get back to the hotel in time for grub, beers etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am planning a four day trip to Wales at the minute along with another three mates who have no Sat Nav's (lazy sods), they leave it to me to sort out where to go and of course how to get back to the hotel in time for grub, beers etc.
I'm leading a couple of mates around Wales basing in Betws-y-Coed fpr a couple of days next week. I'll be using my Zumo660 for the actual navigation, monitoring/comparing with the App.
Leading again in N. Scotland next month for a week.Then again for 5 days around Cornwall in September.
The others have sat navs but I do all the planning then let them have the routes.
Enjoy your trip David.

Steve P

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
I'm leading a couple of mates around Wales basing in Betws-y-Coed fpr a couple of days next week. I'll be using my Zumo660 for the actual navigation, monitoring/comparing with the App.
Leading again in N. Scotland next month for a week.Then again for 5 days around Cornwall in September.
The others have sat navs but I do all the planning then let them have the routes.
Enjoy your trip David.

Steve P
Cheers Steve, I was out last night and got exactly 1,000 miles on the clock as I pulled into my drive, never had that before.

I am actually starting to gain confidence in the navigation and music. It OK/GOOD once you know the limitations and how to keep it going.

I have thought of doing another thread "My first 1,000 miles on my 21 RT and what I have learned" basically covering my learning curve from BaseCamp to MyRoutApp, how to get it all working and remain stable. If this all hangs together you could get rid of your Zumo660.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cheers Steve, I was out last night and got exactly 1,000 miles on the clock as I pulled into my drive, never had that before.
Congrats. Managed 2100 miles so far

I am actually starting to gain confidence in the navigation and music. It OK/GOOD once you know the limitations and how to keep it going.
Must admit that music doesn't bother me. I can always put on the radio via my Cardo if I want some noise.

I have thought of doing another thread "My first 1,000 miles on my 21 RT and what I have learned" basically covering my learning curve from BaseCamp to MyRoutApp, how to get it all working and remain stable. If this all hangs together you could get rid of your Zumo660.
You never know......😊

Steve P

·
Premium Member
5,675 Posts
Sounds like you guys have it all figured out! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
I bought a 2021 RT and I love it! It is the best motorcycle I have ever owned. I had two prior RT’s, a 2004 and a 2012. This new model is far superior to those bikes. The adaptive cruise control is super and I use it all the time. The TFT screen shows all the info I will ever need and it is bright enough to see on sunny days. (Every day here in Florida!) As far as the TFT connection problems, I don’t fret about that. They will fix it at some point. It is important for people to report problems, though, so BMW can fix them. I have a 2019 Trek bicycle and a Garmin 1030 computer. What a mess that was! The Bluetooth on the Garmin kept dropping the phone connection, etc. I gave up calling Garmin. They blamed it on Apple and Google, and everyone else blamed Garmin for the mess. It took about eight months for all the problems to be resolved. This new motorcycle is great! Yeah, the TFT software will take some time to fix, but it is still the best BMW RT they have ever made. You can’t get blinded by one problem and forget all the other good points. I love my ‘21 RT!
I agree with everything you said and am also loving this new RT. I'm not really focused on the navigation at this point so I'm not all stressed out about it either. I am going into the dealer within the next couple of weeks for the 600 mile run in check and will find out then if any updates are available. I really like the adaptive cruise as well but I also like the fact that when your cruise is set you can up shift using your clutch and the cruise stays set at your speed. My 2018 GSA would not do this so you had to reset your cruise.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Does the maintained speed work with gear changes on the adaptive cruise as well? I thought that was only with the active cruise (radar controlled) option.

41 - 60 of 67 Posts