BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had the 21 RT for some three months I have reached the limit of my patience with the TFT and BMW App. I simply cannot get it to work in a reliable way. On the other post I have going I will put up a video of my latest experiments which have led me no where.

BMW help is useless and I need a reliable Sat Nav and I like music so I am not looking at putting a XT on the handlebar, in the past I have had a Zumo and BMW Nav IV, V and VI.

So how do you mount them and charge them, will it take a USB charger? I have a USB charger in the phone pocket and might as well use it for something.

Any help much appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 R1250RT LE
19 Posts

I am using a HexEZ Can as my power source since I have an upgraded horn and aux brake light. I love this configuration and love the Zumo XT. Provides a clean install as well.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The chap in UKGSER is always having issues, where other do not. He has a duff unit and Garmin are replacing it, seems like a result to me. You can't really complain if Garmin don't actually have any stock. He could have taken it back to the retailer if still under warranty of course.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Point taken, although my intention was only to show that other systems may have their own problems, but I guess we all know that already....

But to return to David's post, this is very disappointing as it seems that many think Android is the answer, and that only we iPhone users are the ones with major issues.

·
Registered
68 Posts
As David knows, I've been trying to solve the App/TFT issues, but as I don't trust it I use my Zumo 660 . I have it mounted on the steering stem using a mount from Telferizer and RAM accessories.
Lets me see the TFT when I need to, but main thing it lets me use a reliable nav device.

Steve P IMG_20210519_091530690_HDR.jpg IMG_20210519_091417002_HDR.jpg IMG_20210519_091644701.jpg

·
Premium Member
2020 R1250RT Alpine White
135 Posts
... So how do you mount them and charge them, will it take a USB charger? I have a USB charger in the phone pocket and might as well use it for something. ...
David I used a Zumo 550 then 660 on my Harley with the regular handlebar clamp. I use that same handlebar clamp now on my 2020 R1250RT but I have it mounted to the Ilium Works bar backs. (I use it now to hold my iPhone.)

In my opinion you might be better off running the Zumo off the DIN plug at full battery voltage as opposed to the USB charger port. My thinking is that the Zumo has a pretty large internal battery and I assume it's internal battery charger will want to take a pretty big bite (current wise) from the supply when it needs to. (However, no real specs that I know of to really scope that issue.)

Good luck and I'm sorry that BMW didn't do better work on the new bike before they released it.

Larry

·
Registered
69 Posts
@paynes1 How do you charge it?

Thanks
I bought a plug for the rear power outlet. Spliced the wires to the wiring harness that comes with the XT and ran the cables behind plastic and under the seat area. The cable comes out from under the rear seat near the plug and you can hardly see it unless looking for it. It is switched, pretty well protected from the weather and easy to remove if needed. One solution - I am sure there are many out there, but this one worked well and quickly for me. One strong point from my point of view - I never touched the bike's wiring to do this.

As far as mounting on the bars, I have the Ilium bar risers and used a Ram mount to attach it. The height is good for me, doesn't block the display and no vibrations at all. The picture doesn't offer a good perspective, but I was able to locate the XT so that it didn't block the TFT or the side-view mirror while riding.

I run my phone (and music) through the XT. Not connected to the bike at all. I have an old iPhone 8 without a SIM card that I use for maps on the BMW Nav display. I sometimes find it useful to see a different scale map, but really it is just a convenience. The XT does everything I need or want. My luck with connecting to the bike with my phone is mixed - seems to work well when connected, but drops the connection every time I shut off the bike. I got tired of digging the phone out to reload the map view every time.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Its ridiculous that BMW would not have tested the efficacy of this TFT system before putting it in the market...absolutely ridiculous marketing...which can only lead to bad reputation. But this is indicative of how little Corporations care about the consumers...for today's software standards, the BMW TFT looks like it was designed by high schoolers at a computer class.... I wish I had gotten a 2020.

I will wait patiently for the creative aftermarket bracket that can mount a ZumoXT somewhere on this bike.I don't really want to mount a Garmin that big on a ramball.

Anecdotal: I traded a '19 Goldwing for a '21RT this year.... and the Honda Goldwing's Nav is just about as chaotic. I gave up on the Honda Nav after a couple of months of switching to an iPhone and trying all the options on Car-play several times. Then after burning out with 'car-play' Honda did an update with Android-auto which turned into another chaos.

With the RT's TFT, I gave up after a few day because it became clear to me the thing did not work as designed to....I miss my Garmin....I have very little faith that BMW will fix this cause there is too much sheet connected to each other...
Providing a one task Sat Nav with the functionalities offered on this system without the need of an app connectivity would have made better sense, simpler, and easier to configure....I don't know whose idea was to use an app thing and connected to a bike, but they blew it big time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I read on another forum that BMW have confirmed there is a software update on the way, before the end of August. Whether that is fixing connection issues or pages, there didn't seem to be any specific details

·
Registered
68 Posts
@paynes1 How do you charge it?

Thanks
I ordered the bike last October when little or nothing was known about the App, and as I lead rides like you I wanted to make sure that I had a sat nav on the bike. I got the dealer to fit the mount (March '21) when I bought the bike as I don't fancy risking the dodgy panel tabs ;). This is the fourth RT (and a Deauville) that the 660 has been on, I think that they have connected it to the battery as it powers up when I put the sat nav in the mount. When I'm not using the sat nav the mount (and cover) isn't in the way or obtrusive. I have never had any issues.
Steve P

·
Registered
179 Posts

View attachment 173769 View attachment 173770 View attachment 173771

I am using a HexEZ Can as my power source since I have an upgraded horn and aux brake light. I love this configuration and love the Zumo XT. Provides a clean install as well.
Keep in mind David has a new 2021 RT, not the older style, so that won't work with the larger led screen.

Reactions: Aussie Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I started this thread the day after I blew a gasket with the TFT. However, I am a stubborn sort of guy and have got a very imperfect solution to my connectivity issues with the TFT and my phone/Sena Srl. Now, I don't know whether to buy a Garmin XT and try to mount it or persevere with what I have got working. Time will tell. Thanks for all the comments above.

In case you are not following the other thread this is my video of how to get things working.

·
Registered
68 Posts
David,
Excellent video explaining exactly the issues I have been having since getting the bike in March. Sometimes disconnecting the bluetooth/bike doesn't work and I have to 'forget' the connection and set up again from scratch - rubbish.
I'm not too bothered about the music, but if I'm navigating I WANT the audio with 'Mrs Woman' to work as discussed many times!!

Steve P

1 - 20 of 44 Posts