BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having trouble downshifting. I've serviced the linkage (it needed it), changed the tranny oil (only had 10k miles on it), and bled the clutch using the Paul Sayegh method. Still, no joy.

My clutch master cylinder has been making a kind of soft clicking noise, that is different from the small switch click sound you hear on the brakes. I dont hear it on other bikes with hydraulic clutches.

Yesterday morning, I bled the clutch again & accidently sucked in air thru the master cylinder. Oh man, dont ever do that -- because per the manual, you then have to bleed the master cylinder upstream of the rest of the system, and then bleed as normal. Pull off switches, pull off covers, rotate the cylinder to access the banjo bolt... a real PITA! And I had to do it three times to get it somewhat right. And now, its noiser than ever. In my gut, I think the seals in the piston are gone.

BMW makes a rebuild kit that costs $75. A whole new master cylinder housing is $450. Just wondering if anyone else has done this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm very suprised no one has done this!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Probably because no one has had one go bad. In the many years I have been on the LT groups, I have not heard of one needing service.

About the only way one could tell if it needs rebuilding is to hold the clutch in and see if it leaks down over time, or fluid starts to leak out of the handlebar assembly. If you start the bike, pull the clutch in, put it in gear and hold the clutch in for a few minutes and the clutch does not start to engage, the master is OK. Even if the clutch does start to engage, it is more likely the slave cylinder failing, as that is WAY too common.

·
Premium Member
1,485 Posts
What would be nice is , ... if you could put the guts ( seals ,..etc.. ) for a R1200GS in the master cyl. . Then put a slave cyl. for a GS on the transmission . This way you could us mineral oil in it . That would make life safer for the slave cylinder's seals ....& maybe the clutch too...

Just a thought

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I haven't had a reason to do this on my LT but I have used the rebuild kits on other bikes. It works fine if the cylinder is in good shape.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll be in my dealer's neighborhood later today, so I'll pick up the kit. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Silverhair said:
I'll be in my dealer's neighborhood later today, so I'll pick up the kit. Guess what I'll be doing this weekend?

Ruining a perfectly good master cylinder? :rotf: :histerica :histerica :histerica

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nah, but I have been known to bugger up things royally in my past...

:)

I stopped by the dealer yesterday though, and bumped into the service manager as I was comparing the clutch feel of a LT on the floor to mine. What a great guy! Nice to talk to someone who is a pro.

Anyway, I told him my story & he feels I don't need a rebuild. He suspects air & possibly the slave cylinder. He offered a suggestion on bleeding the master cylinder & I'm in progress with that now. And boy, I still have a lot of air in that thing...

·
Registered
94 Posts
The clutch might be working normally but you might start to see some DOT4 fluid drips below on the bike. I first thought I had dripped some gas. Look at the underside of the clutch lever housing to see if it's' "wet".

You will need a manual to figure out how to get all the switch controls off. Mark the location of the clutch housing on the handlebars.

You can do the clutch master rebuild on the bike. I found you can slide the heated grip back far enough (wire length) to access the necessary screws and then pull the piston out.

There are 2 very small springs in the clutch lever handle you will need to watch for when the handle is removed.

I took most of the fluid out of the reservoir with a syringe. Cover your bike below the clutch master cylinder with plastic. Don't squeeze the clutch lever with the reservoir cover off or it will squirt the windscreen and other areas with brake fluid. You can place a quarter over the ports in the reservoir when you start the bleeding process. (thanks to previous post)

Follow the clutch bleed procedures when you are back together.

beemerboneyard.com sells a clutch master cylinder rebuild kit for $44.95 under "new parts". This must be a common problem or BBY wouldn't sell it. My bike is a '99 K1200LT. Just did this.

Have fun. :deadhorse

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
Silverhair said:
Nah, but I have been known to bugger up things royally in my past...

:)

I stopped by the dealer yesterday though, and bumped into the service manager as I was comparing the clutch feel of a LT on the floor to mine. What a great guy! Nice to talk to someone who is a pro.

Anyway, I told him my story & he feels I don't need a rebuild. He suspects air & possibly the slave cylinder. He offered a suggestion on bleeding the master cylinder & I'm in progress with that now. And boy, I still have a lot of air in that thing...
Please share the suggestions. Particularly if they work! :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts