BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CCR would have not been canceled I don't think that any one of us could have gotten there due to all of the fires. Looks like the fires are all over Monterey, Big Sur, Hearst Mansion..................

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Where there is a will, there's a way...

Last year, we had to divert around the fires burning in Washington to get to Couer d'Alene, ID. Although we had made reservations at a central Washington hotel on our original route, and I had made it with a non-refundable deposit, we were still able to ride around it and got my deposit back, as the owner needed the rooms for housing firefighters. We may have missed out on a more scenic route, but still had a great time on the way, and at the '15 CCR. This year, some would have missed out on the Highway 1 route through Big Sur and Hearst Castle, but others could still have had a great ride north of Monterey. I had been planning to ride up to the MOA Monterey gathering this weekend, but family priorities preempted it. If I had, I would have taken the 101. I still am looking forward to the Ft. Bragg ride in October and plan on riding Highway 1 all the way from LA.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Ya we almost turned around for Couer d'Alene, one of the hotels told us they had air quality alert and if you have any respiratory issues you may want to cancel. Then when we got to Glacier NP it rained during the night and a big wind came and blew the smoke out for us. We even saw smoldering logs along the road. Timing is everything.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts