BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
European LT riders go Southwest USA

Hi all together,

our trip to the USA is fixed. We will go with 7 riders Southwest USA in 2012.

Date: 17. 05. – 08.06.2012

I know the date is still far ahead of us but we will start with some early bookings next year.

This time we will ride not our beloved LT`s :) , we will make a booking at Eagle Riders and will ride Harleys :wave :D

Are you guys interested to meet us along our way through the Southwest. May be there is a chance to arrange a bigger: "Get Together Meeting"?????

We really looking forward to meet you guys from over the pond :bmw: :bmw:

What do you think?? Any ideas for a Meeting??

If wished, we can send you our detailed trip planning.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It will be rather hot during that time here in AZ and most of the Southern SW area. There's some great riding to be done in AZ however, and here are a few points to consider...

Sedona
Prescott/Jerome/etc
Grand Canyon
The former Devil's Highway, Route 666, no renamed Coronado/191.

Do you have a route in mind yet?

·
Registered
635 Posts
+1, give a shout out when you get your plans sorted out.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow - quick responses :wave :wave :wave

Our plan is sorted out so far. What do you think? Does it make sense to post our planning here on the forum or shall I email it to somebody????

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Hey Rudy - make reference to the event by putting an abbreviated posting here, with route highlights, and then direct readers to the "Rides, Rallies and Get Togethers" forum here, where you can get more specific.

How many folks do you anticipate will join in? All are going to have a great time, I betcha!!

Best regards.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Yeah, post your major stops or "things to see" and people can figure out where to meet up/ride with you. If you want any local knowledge or ideas, lots of us have been all over AZ on bikes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good ideas.

We will be there with 12 people in total - Germans, Irish, Swedish, English - so a real mixed European group :)

Sounds great if we can meet some of you along the route. I will prepare a daily list with our overnight places and show it soon on the forum.

An idea I have in mind is:

Why not have a Meeting somewhere????

A good place for a Meeting (place would fit into our plannings perfectly) would be the area where Dick lives - in the Texas Hill County around Fredericksburg????

What do you think??

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Winghunter said:
Good ideas.

We will be there with 12 people in total - Germans, Irish, Swedish, English - so a real mixed European group :)

Sounds great if we can meet some of you along the route. I will prepare a daily list with our overnight places and show it soon on the forum.

A good place for a Meeting (place would fit into our plannings perfectly) would be the area where Dick lives - in the Texas Hill County around Fredericksburg????

What do you think??
If you need any help in Houston, just let me know. Meeting in the Hill Country would be great!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Wolfgang. I saved your last EMail anyway :) :)

The Texas Hill country sounds like a great choice for a "Get together". It would fit our travel plans perfectly.

We pla to arrive in Fredericksburg on May, 18th 2012 what is a Friday. Since there is still time ahead of us, we can get it arranged to stay two days in Fredericksburg. that means, the 18th and 19th of May 2012.

I do love that region a lot - may be I love it so much because I am a German :wave

I`ve been there several time before. :) :) :)

What about all others. Would that be an idea to arrange a "Get together" in Fredericksburg, Tx?????

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Winghunter said:
Good ideas.

What do you think??
Perfect, Rudy. F'burg, Boerne, New Braunfels, and various smaller communities in the area, were originally German, Czech, Bavarian settlements, and to a degree, have maintained the colorful background of their country's culture, ethnicity and culinary flavors. Lots of timely celebrations during the year (Wurstfest in early fall in New Braunfels, for example).

We'll be looking for y'all, Rudy.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I would come a month earlier. :check:

All time record high temperature for Tucson is 117F on June 26. Usually mid 90's to 100F in the low deserts in Texas and Arizona during the time you are planning. Delightfully cool at night but by noon you'll want to be off the bikes and in the shade. Yes, it is THAT hot. :sun:

If you can't change your dates if you stay above 5000 feet MSL you'll be fine.

Not trying to ruin your plans, just give advice having lived here for 30 years...

Personally speaking - I park all of my air cooled bikes the beginning of May. A Harley in our heat is just plain miserable. :(

·
Registered
635 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I would come a month earlier. :check:

All time record high temperature for Tucson is 117F on June 26. Usually mid 90's to 100F in the low deserts in Texas and Arizona during the time you are planning. Delightfully cool at night but by noon you'll want to be off the bikes and in the shade. Yes, it is THAT hot. :sun:

If you can't change your dates if you stay above 5000 feet MSL you'll be fine.

Not trying to ruin your plans, just give advice having lived here for 30 years...

Personally speaking - I park all of my air cooled bikes the beginning of May. A Harley in our heat is just plain miserable. :(
+1 to this good recommendation. Even for those of us who are use to the 110+ temps (if you can ever get use to it) it can be brutal.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Many thanks for your advices but it looks like we will keep the date. Origianlly it was planned to do it in august - but August for sure is even hotter than in May. Also August is High Season -- means the flights and everything will end up more expensive for us. Another point is that the most of us are still employed- so we have to save our vacation days. In May/June we will have 3 public holidays what is a great saving for us. :)

I will post you the highlights of our trip soon to give you a better idea where will will go to.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here is our trip planning

May 10 – May 15th, 2012
6 of us will stay in Florida for a week. The rest of the group will arrive in Houston on May 17th, 2012
My wife and I intend to buy a car down there. It should be a Lincoln Navigator (Mod. 2003 – 2006)
We will ship it over to Germany after our trip. We will take the SUV as support vehicle during our trip.
If one of you knows a nice Navigator with low miles in a good shape and of course for a good price, please let me know.

We will stay at one of our riders family

May 17th - Arrival in Houston
May 18 Overnight in Fredericksburg
If there will be a gathering we gonna leave on the 20th
May 20 Fredericksburg – Marathon, TX
Overnight: Marathon Motel
May 21 Marathon – Van Horn
Overnight: KOA
May 22 Van Horn – Alamogordo
Overnight: Super 8, Alamogordo
May 23 Alamogordo – Santa Fe
Overnight: Motel 6, Santa Fe
May 24 Santa Fe – Farmington
Overnight: KOA, Farmington
May 25 Farmington – Grand Junction
Overnight: Not fixed yet
May 26 Grand Junction – Moab
Overnight : Super 8, Moab
May 27 Moab – Hanksville
Overnight : Whisepering Sands Motel
May 28 Hanksville – Bryce Canyon
Motel : Bryceview Lodge
May 29 Bryce Canyon – Las Vegas
Overnight – not fixed yet
May 30 One more day in Las Vegas , due to the reason that one of our Members will celebrate his “Silver Wedding “
May 31 Las Vegas – Williams
Overnight : KOA Williams
June1 Williams – Grand Canyon – Alpine
Overnight: Alpine Cabins
June 2 Alpine – Truth or Consequences
Overnight: Riverbend Hot Springs Lodging
June 3 TOC – Fort Stockton
June 4 Fort Stockton – San Antonio
Overnight : Days Inn Downtown/Riverwalk Area
June 5 San Antonio - Padre Island
Overnight not fixed yet
June 6 Padre Island
June 7th - Return

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,171 Posts
Winghunter said:
This time we will ride not our beloved LT`s :) , we will make a booking at Eagle Riders and will ride Harleys :wave :D
Did you choose the Harleys on purpose? Eagle Riders advertises BMW rentals so in addition to the GT model on their ad I would think that the GS and RT are also available, you know... to make the ride actually enjoyable.:D

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,171 Posts
Winghunter said:
My wife and I intend to buy a car down there. It should be a Lincoln Navigator (Mod. 2003 – 2006)
We will ship it over to Germany after our trip. We will take the SUV as support vehicle during our trip.
If one of you knows a nice Navigator with low miles in a good shape and of course for a good price, please let me know.
Since you will be exporting the vehicle to Europe be sure that you do NOT pay sales tax in the state in which you are purchasing the SUV. That would be redundant since I presume you will pay all sorts of import taxes once you get home.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Since you will be exporting the vehicle to Europe be sure that you do NOT pay sales tax in the state in which you are purchasing the SUV.
In most states you can't avoid this unless they ship the vehicle. If you take possession you have to pay the tax, then do some paperwork to try to get it back later, which is possible for state to state transfer, but I don't know about international. So which state you buy in may make a big difference in price. Also you are legally obliged to register it in your own name within a short amount of time, and then you have to pay the taxes and registration anyway. Now, most police will let you slide on this for a reasonable time period, but you should be aware.

Some states have no sales tax, so buying there would just eliminate that problem.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
During the years I bought 3 Goldwings in the States. Never paid tax since I could indentify myself as a foreinger and I always got a 30 days temporarely plate on the bikes. guess it should be the same system for a car. The only thing I have to do is to sign an insurance contract. In the past I always used "Progressive Insurance"

Once the vehicle is shipped over, I have to pay quite a few taxes. It is always good if the price is lowered due to the tax system overhere.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It would be great to meet up with your group. I have it on my calender so when the time gets near, let us know where you will be staying. That is a good route and a great time of year. On your original post your dates are entered in your English format, Your 08-06 date (June 6th) looked like August 6th to us in our American English format. Thats why you received the temp info for August. Late May is a great time to ride the area you are riding.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts