1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
1,595 Posts
If that really happened it would be the best thing since sliced bread. Ethanol from corn was never a viable idea.

·
Registered
697 Posts
In my opinion, the only thing corn based ethanol has done....made corn and corn related products crazy expensive. Not to mention the destruction to our fuel delivery systems. Nothing good for me to say about corn squeezin fuel.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Corn squeezing for drinking ,ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Given the decimation of corn crops this year the timing would be great. They've got to do something to offset demand or food costs will go through the roof.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've noticed a significant reduction in my gas mileage using 10% ethanol in our area. My Suburban goes from almost 15 mpg down to about 12.5 mpg. I now get non-blended mid-grade from a local station and my cost per mile has decreased by $0.05 per mile. Since it takes more gallons of fuel to drive the same distance, seems that I'm putting just as much out the tail pipe. And that does not count the "cost" and emmissions to produce and transport this stuff. Seems like a negative gain from my point of view. Maybe it will go away like the 55 mph mandate!

·
Registered
820 Posts
I just replaced all the fuel lines in my R 1200 C including those inside the tank due to ethanol attack on the rubber hoses. There is zero question that ethanol was the cause.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I downloaded a list of ethanol free gas stations from pure-gas.org. Even have it as an app on my phone.

linky: http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
445 Posts
Ethanol in fuel was in my opinion always a bit short-sighted, but it was at lest a try to find a economic alternative to fossils.
We are running out of oil period, petrol is around 2 USD a liter at the moment and it is gonna get worst.
5 USD a liter is no longer in the realm of fantasy.
But ethanol from corn is not gonna be the answer, I hear that there is a lot of effort going into algae based ethanol, however that kind of scares me after reading about how they wanted to do it with Klebsiella planticola.
Never heard of that likkle bug?
Well have a nightmare from me:
http://web.mst.edu/~microbio/BIO221_2004/K_planticola.htm
My fear is that as we get closer to the edge the more frantic these kind of solutions will become.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Still got a few stations around that sell ethanol free gas....cost a little more but it's worth it. The ethanol was bad for our bikes but it's even worse for lawn mowers, boat motors basically any small engine, good riddance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts