1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't even know you could get it any more! :confused:

Sorry Kalifornia. ;)

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada

Seems like the south rules when it comes to availability - must be all you good 'ol boyz. :D There's only ONE in New Hampshire. :rotf:

While I've never had any ethanol related problems that I KNOW of, (except for an occasional lean stumble when cold) I sure do wish I could burn it in my 87 truck and 79 Airhead. For me it's a 180 mile round trip to my nearest supplier. :cool:

I think my luck is due to the extremely dry climate here. I know that in more humid climates it can be a huge issue especially when it sits for a while...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I was talking with John Cartwright at Ironhorse BMW motorcycles last weekend about this very subject, he said they have seen a lot of fuel related issues.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Gizmo1137 said:
I was talking with John Cartwright at Ironhorse BMW motorcycles last weekend about this very subject, he said they have seen a lot of fuel related issues.
Yesterday I was talking to friend at http://www.bignumber1.com/, he said their shop stays busy working on fuel related problems on the older bikes caused by ethonol fuel.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
After some performance issues with a Shindaiwa string trimmer, I run ethanol free fuel through all my small motors (i.e. chain saw, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, etc.) They all use 50/50 two cycle mix, so I mix up a couple of gallons, which will last about three months.

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
most boat shops and marinas sell no ethanol because you can't use it in marine engines...

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STARFIGHTER said:
most boat shops and marinas sell no ethanol because you can't use it in marine engines...
Almost all of the newer engines say it is OK to use, but my 1987 Yamaha 2 stroke outboard has been modded by me to include a fuel/water separator filter and Tygon F40 fuel hose. Runs fine.

Now if I could only get some good old Tetraethyl LEAD I would feel much better. A lot of kids would have some serious mental retardation a a result - but probably no more than they get anyway glued to video games and their I-phones. ;)

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gizmo1137 said:
Ya ' gotta remember that John was in sales before buying the dealership.... he knows where his bread is buttered.

....but yeah, I've seen deteriorated OEM rubber fuel hose due to it - with corresponding carb and FI issues. I've swapped every fuel line I can think of to Tygon F40. It's mo' bettah.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cfell said:
How's it rated for pressure as in Fuel Injector systems?
I think it is rated for about 50psi which is pretty impressive for an un-reinforced hose - but I don't think it would ever be suitable for fuel injector line. That's pretty special stuff.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
RonKMiller said:
I think it is rated for about 50psi which is pretty impressive for an un-reinforced hose - but I don't think it would ever be suitable for fuel injector line. That's pretty special stuff.
Wow.. yup.. pretty impressive.. the new "FI" rated hoses do tend to support use of alkeehawl in fuel.

Now, back on topic... there were a couple of places that had this fuel in the Austin area.. but they are no longer listed.

I called several fuel distributors and was informed "there is no more fuel without ethanol"... which I think is a crock.. as I think it is blended at the distributor... I asked about AVGAS and/or marine fuel and got the "uhhhhhhh" reply.

When i find it, I'll probably buy a drum.

·
Registered
635 Posts
RonKMiller said:
Ya ' gotta remember that John was in sales before buying the dealership.... he knows where his bread is buttered.

....but yeah, I've seen deteriorated OEM rubber fuel hose due to it - with corresponding carb and FI issues. I've swapped every fuel line I can think of to Tygon F40. It's mo' bettah.
True enough and perhaps some truth, to a point. But the issues John described, are pretty consistant with what other's are describing. Interesting idea you have on swapping fuel lines. Are you adding a fuel system cleaner/stabelizer as well? It is a shame we are having this discussion and having to take extra steps to guard against this crappy fuel (I use the term loosely).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Seems like the south rules when it comes to availability - must be all you good 'ol boyz. :D There's only ONE in New Hampshire. :rotf: ...
I have 3 stations around my house that sell it, a Gate, a Kangaroo, and a BP. All 3 are by the water. The Gate station is my favorite because it is by the biggest marina. Their gas gets refilled the most often, so is the freshest. Since I switched over to real gas, I have noticed that I get between 30-50 more miles from a tank, and she has more power in the bottom end. Also, that exhaust smell of real gas takes me back to my childhood. :grin:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Most Valero stations carry ethanol free but I have found it mostly at small independent stations.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
For whatever reason, my '09 RT did not like Ethanol Free fuel.

It was hard to start every time I filled up with it!

Asked the Service Manager at BMW about my hard starting, first thing out of his mouth, he asked if I put Ethanol free fuel in, said he had the same issue with other riders.

when I went back to Chevron Supreme,,, it started right up!

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Don't blame the straight gas for hard starting. Was the ethanol free gas a major brand? What was the octane rating of the ethanol free gas you used? Most are 90 octane but you will find as low as 87 and as high as 93. I used ethanol free. Bike and cars run better as far as mileage. I used Chevron brand rec 90. I've used Marathon brand rec 90. I've used Sunoco brand rec 90. I've used Ractrac rec 90. The top tier brands are rated better. It may make a difference on some engines vs others. I also found a station with ethanol free with 87 octane. I passed it up.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Don't blame the straight gas for hard starting. Was the ethanol free gas a major brand? What was the octane rating of the ethanol free gas you used? Most are 90 octane but you will find as low as 87 and as high as 93. I used ethanol free. Bike and cars run better as far as mileage. I used Chevron brand rec 90. I've used Marathon brand rec 90. I've used Sunoco brand rec 90. I've used Ractrac rec 90. The top tier brands are rated better. It may make a difference on some engines vs others. I also found a station with ethanol free with 87 octane. I passed it up.
It is 92 Octane from a Cenex Station that gets it's fuel from a small refinery in Tacoma, Wa

This is a very small refinery US Oil in TAcoma ,WA that supplies non-ethanol fuel. They told me that their fuel mfg. process does not include a "cat cracker" in the refining process. This make for a more energy dense fuel.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Had this experience last week: Had ethanol-tainted gas in the tank of a 2005 LT I'm not riding much any more; brief starts produced a stink and the need to clear its throat and do extra clutch-slipping getting up our steep driveway. Located ethanol-free gas about 50 interstate miles away. Showed an average 51 mpg on the way there. Coasted in on fumes. Tanked up on 87-octane ethanol-free gas and continued another 80 or so miles. Reset the MPG on the computer. Showed only 44 mpg under same riding conditions and very nearly the same average speed, same max speed restriction. No apparent running problems with the 87 octane pure gas.

Conclusion from this limited comparison: octane may be more important to the economy of an LT than the higher energy content of the pure gasoline. At least I've got a remnant of the pure gas in the tank as it sits in the carport, now with an apparently failed ABS pump (anybody got a spare?).

·
Registered
321 Posts
There is an app for that. Search for "pure gas" in your play store. We use it on trips all the time. In minnesota most of the non oxygenated fuel is premium with octane of 91+. I always add Startron to my 5 gallon gas cans when I fill them. This will stabilize it for 2 years. It will work for all types of gas. There is no stink on spring startup like the was with seafoam or stabil. Works great on the dirtbike and 2 stroke stuff. No carb problems in over 6 years of using this stuff. I use it on the last tank in the BMW before winter nap. Just start it up and go in the spring.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
How's it rated for pressure as in Fuel Injector systems?
Absolutely not. Fuel rail pressure is at or over 50 PSI. Most hose clamps are not even rated for fuel injector line use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts