BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The EPA just approved 15% enthanol as they declared it was safe for vehicles manufactured since 1991. The expectation is that more stations will have ethanol in their fuel. From what I understand it would be wise to stay clear of ethanol in our bikes, though in some states there's no requirement to label E10 or now E15 fuel. Going to a higher percentage will only increase the potential for damage. If you're not familiar with all the problems ethanol fuel will cause you see this site: http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_problems_damage.html

I'll keep it out of my vehicles, especially my LT for many reasons. Ethanol is a great solvent that can destroy rubber, plastic, fiberglass and aluminum. Since it absorbs water you are even at more danger of water contamination when a bike isn't used. If that isn't enough it ignites at higher temperature with potential damage to pistons.

It's tough to even see an advantage for the environment as it takes more than a gallon of oil to produce a gallon of ethanol.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ethanol on corn should be done this year is my guess. It has raised price of corn so much that they can't afford to burn it. Unless the govt is so stubborn to not let it fail on itself

·
Registered
204 Posts
BUMPER STICKER::

If it isn't broke, give it to the Government and they'll fix it till it is!!

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
In February's "Motorcycle Consumers News", Matthew Wiley discusses E15 in his Downtime Files. Bottom line: stay away from E15. And E10 for that matter.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Ethanol producers and retailers will not go broke due to the high cost of corn. They are both highly subsidized.

We should be attacking the subsidy and let the market work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Short of going to the marina or airport to fill up our bikes....or our cars....what are the alternatives? I think it may be rather difficult to pull pumpside on the docks..... :rolleyes: and pulling up on the airfield may be problematic as well..... :bike:

Here's a link someone put up for the TX region....can't attest as to the accuracy though!

·
Registered
938 Posts
nocanpickem said:
Ethanol producers and retailers will not go broke due to the high cost of corn. They are both highly subsidized.

We should be attacking the subsidy and let the market work.

Ok that makes no sense to me, they are going bankrupt because they were only getting subsidized like 30 cents per bushel. Now that the oil refineries are buying up ethanol plants they will have control of 100% of your fuel again. I wonder why gas is going up? :) I predicted this a long time ago. But what do I know.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ironbuttwannabe said:
Ethanol on corn should be done this year is my guess. It has raised price of corn so much that they can't afford to burn it. Unless the govt is so stubborn to not let it fail on itself
And ethanol from sugar has contributed to cutting down the rain forests in Brazil, as the push for EtOH fuels has raised the price there to where trees have no value. It's "funny" that this push to stop global warming (excuse me, climate change) has been one of the biggest factors in escalating it!

Hopefully someone in DC will wake up and pay attention.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hopefully someone in DC will wake up and pay attention.[/QUOTE said:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts