BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was dismayed to read on the other forum that bmw would not honor warranty service to ethanol fuel related issues.if that is true, what can be done/?are additives the absolute answer? if the govt continues with ethanol15, will the conditions experienced by the engine/fuel system exceed what bmw has probably already engineered for ethanol related fuels? "Let's see Mr. Love, what kind of gas you been using?" Me: "The kind you get at a gas station, you dumb _ _ _ _!" "Well, our tests indicate an excess of ethanol and ........." whew,a conversation i'd hate to have...

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,603 Posts
There is no way that ANY manufacture can void a warranty based on ethanol in gas because that is the only gas you can get. If NON ethanol gas was widely available all over the US then they might have a case.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
The problem is that no one is monitoring the percentage of Ethanol in the fuel. Pumps are only subjected to calibration once a year with a seal attached to the pump. As far as Ethanol? We could be pumping more than the 10% as stated on the pump. The consumer is unaware of the actual amount of Ethanol in the fuel.

If you are fortunate to have a Non-Ethanol service station near you then you should consider using it. Go to this site and find your state then scroll through it. Good luck.

http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
31 Posts
It pretty well sucks that the corn/ethanol lobby, is dictating(along with the EPA, and the gov't)to the rest of the country, what is happening at the pump. What an outrage. :mad:

·
Registered
195 Posts
6speedTi said:
The problem is that no one is monitoring the percentage of Ethanol in the fuel. Pumps are only subjected to calibration once a year with a seal attached to the pump. As far as Ethanol? We could be pumping more than the 10% as stated on the pump. The consumer is unaware of the actual amount of Ethanol in the fuel.

If you are fortunate to have a Non-Ethanol service station near you then you should consider using it. Go to this site and find your state then scroll through it. Good luck.

http://pure-gas.org/
Thanks, Bob, very helpful.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ethanol is added at tthe fuel supply terminal as the truck is loaded or the refinrery long before it gets to the station. It will not hurt your engine.but it will keep your fuel system drty becasue it loves water. Gasoline and ethanol create a suspension as they are very similar in density or specific gravity. They do not chemically bond. Ethanol is also ionic and gasoline is no-ionic. That means that ethanol is soluble in water and gasoline is not. So, if ethanol treated fuel comes into contact with enough water it will drop out and then it causes problems becasue water and ethanol wil not burn in your engine. E15 is only used in some flex fuel vehicles and I don;t even know wherer you would go to get it. I am sure it is available in California but luckily most of us are not in California.

·
Registered
577 Posts
NAPA (and other auto stores) sells a product that protects engines from ethanol damage. My tractor, chain, saw weed eater, and cycle all seem to run better smoother and have more power. Made by Star Tron comes in a blue container and a qt. treats 500+ gallons. I just punch a small hole in sealer cap and give a squirt on fillup. Other posts have claimed high test has lower ethanol, and also an easy way to confirm claim of ethanol free content.

My spitting and rough running tractor smooooothed out with just a little squirt and mix after my Son-in-law returned same with regular gas

This was posted on the LT listing a couple weeks ago

"In a test tube (or similar) put a small amount of water in the bottom, note the level of the water, and then fill the tube with a fuel sample. Put your thumb over the top and shake vigorously for several seconds and then let the water settle back to the bottom.

If there was ethanol present, the apparent volume of the water will have increased substantially. The water will "suck" any alcohol out of the fuel. The alcohol would much rather dissolve with the water than with the gasoline.

It works best if the initial ratio of water to fuel sample is about 1 to ten, but it isn't very critical. It is the test aircraft owners are using to detect alcohol, which is verboten in aircraft."

·
Registered
31 Posts
tobiwan said:
NAPA (and other auto stores) sells a product that protects engines from ethanol damage. My tractor, chain, saw weed eater, and cycle all seem to run better smoother and have more power. Made by Star Tron comes in a blue container and a qt. treats 500+ gallons. I just punch a small hole in sealer cap and give a squirt on fillup. Other posts have claimed high test has lower ethanol, and also an easy way to confirm claim of ethanol free content.

My spitting and rough running tractor smooooothed out with just a little squirt and mix after my Son-in-law returned same with regular gas

This was posted on the LT listing a couple weeks ago

"In a test tube (or similar) put a small amount of water in the bottom, note the level of the water, and then fill the tube with a fuel sample. Put your thumb over the top and shake vigorously for several seconds and then let the water settle back to the bottom.

If there was ethanol present, the apparent volume of the water will have increased substantially. The water will "suck" any alcohol out of the fuel. The alcohol would much rather dissolve with the water than with the gasoline.

It works best if the initial ratio of water to fuel sample is about 1 to ten, but it isn't very critical. It is the test aircraft owners are using to detect alcohol, which is verboten in aircraft."

How helpful is this!? Going to carry some of this on my motorcycle, and give the fill-up a little squirt, each time!! BTW, there aren't any, "pure gas" stations in central Texas, either. they are all in west Texas.. :mad:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,460 Posts
jimbullitt said:
How helpful is this!? Going to carry some of this on my motorcycle, and give the fill-up a little squirt, each time!! BTW, there aren't any, "pure gas" stations in central Texas, either. they are all in west Texas.. :mad:
Tractor Supply carries that Star Tron stuff also - flys off the shelf pretty quick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Star Tron helps make up for some of the problems posed by ethanol. It does not "neutralize it" or remove it. There's no way to do that. No fuel treatment can prvent the damage that alcohol/ethanol does to some older fuel lines or fuel delivery components.

What Star Tron does is use the enzyme blend (no other trreatment uses enzymes) to allow hydrocarbons to burn more completley. This allows a more complete burn of the fuel charge and thus better throttle response, fuel economy and the prevention of carbon deposits as well as exhaust smoke (all are unburnt fuel). Ethanol does not produce as much power as gas, so by making the gas burn more completely, you get back some of the lost power. Ethanol/alcohol also attracts moisture - you cannot make water magically disappear or make it burn, but if you break apart the water clumps into tiny particles, you can vaporize it with the fuel charge. E10 is formualted to be used within 30 days. If it sits longer, it begins to degrade and can form solids that clog carbs and injectors. The enzymes stabilize the fuel chemistry and will break aprt deposits so that they can be burnt off with the fuel charge. It is not snake oil or voodoo science - the fuel industry has been using enzymes for 40+ years - we are simply the first to package it for consumer use.

By the way, Star Tron is avaialbe in two sizes: the "original" marine concentrated version in which 1 ounce treats 16 gallons, and the newer Small Engine Formula developed for power sports applications in which 1 ounce treats 6 gallons of fuel. Same stuff, just different concentrations. If you've ever put 150 gallons of fuel in your boat, you'll know why the original is more concentrated, while the newer formula is ideal for the guy treating 5-6 gallons to keep you from having to try to measure out a fraction of an ounce.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a 2012 RT and was looking through the owners manual. No where did it mention that Ethanol is approved for use. It also does not say you can not use it. All references are Octane ratings and tank capacity. So one wonders if a problem related to Ethanol should happen will the dealer question the validity of the claim?

91 AKI max.
89 AKI min.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I have a 2012 RT and was looking through the owners manual. No where did it mention that Ethanol is approved for use. It also does not say you can not use it. All references are Octane ratings and tank capacity. So one wonders if a problem related to Ethanol should happen will the dealer question the validity of the claim? I am fortunate enough to have a few service stations with Non-Ethanol 90 Octane fuel. I add Lucas oil fuel injector and fuel conditioner on a regular basis. I pay dearly for the fuel but it is for the better.

91 AKI max.
89 AKI min.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Whether BMW likes it or not, you can use the E10 mix in the bike without harm. We don't have a choice and the design engineers know that.

Cars that are designed for E85 have differences to resist corrosion and account for higher burn rates than gasoline. I don't believe that any BMW motorcycle should be run on E85.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts