BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010RT with about 2K miles on it. I absolutely love it but I can't really tell much difference with the ESA settings. As I ride down the road I change from sport to normal to comfort, but honestly I don't feel a difference. Is there anyway to really check whether or not the ESA is working? All the lights appear to be working. In other words, the dash cycles through sport, normal and comfort. And I can change the one helmet, two helmet, etc as well. I just don't feel the differences.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Just sit on the bike, start with comfort and work your way up to sport. Squeeze the front brake and push down on the bars, if it's working you will feal the difference when compressing the front suspension. You can do the same with the back but have someone hold the bike while you push down, you don't want to drop it.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
I have an '08RT and, if I adjust the settings while parked with the bike running, I can definitely feel the rear suspension raise when selecting the Sport setting. The only other way I can tell if it is working is when riding over bumpy roads or aggressively taking on some twisties.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Find a rough road with lots of corrugations. Ride one way in comfort, and the other in sport. If you can't notice the difference then something is wrong. Under these conditions it's not subtle.
On a normal road it is subtle.
I regularly do a 7-9 hour ride and it's very noticeable later in the day

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sat on the bike and could feel and hear the changes as I changed the ESA settings. It must be working but I guess I'm just not riding in a manner that I notice the differences.

·
Registered
26 Posts
1964Hall said:
As the suspension beds in you'll notice the difference more.
\v/
I agree. I thought the exact same thing as you when I first picked up my 2010. Not very noticable compared to an 08 RT that I had ridden before. It did break in and comfort mode gave more comfort thus requiring Normal mode in aggressive riding. I have used Sport mode in the mountain roads of NC. I notice more feedback in sport mode without feeling any stiffer or ride quality feeling harsh. Good stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts