BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The ESA preload setting on my '07 GT stopped working about a week ago. It just stayed stuck on one rider and luggage setting. I took it into the shop Friday and today they called and said they were going to replace the rear shock. If I am correct, I believe the rear shock and the preload adjusting unit are a combined piece.

My bike has only 11,000 miles and is an '07. This should be warranty...right???

·
Just ridin'
5,297 Posts
Warranty, yes. I'm sure it has happened on some other BMW, though I don't recall hearing about it. I have two friends with 1800 GoldWings who had their electric preload fail. I don't know who BMW sources the ESA units from, but the shocks on the LT were Showa - the same as Honda uses.
cccpastorjack said:
The ESA preload setting on my '07 GT stopped working about a week ago. It just stayed stuck on one rider and luggage setting. I took it into the shop Friday and today they called and said they were going to replace the rear shock. If I am correct, I believe the rear shock and the preload adjusting unit are a combined piece.

My bike has only 11,000 miles and is an '07. This should be warranty...right???

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The price of replacement is $2500 I hope BMW replaces the shock. Perhaps your shop will give you the option of a Ohlins replacement.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
murray said:
The price of replacement is $2500 I hope BMW replaces the shock. Perhaps your shop will give you the option of a Ohlins replacement.

That would be cool, but then I would lose the ESA.... I probably would settle for that if they would replace BOTH shocks. I wouldn't want to have just one Ohlins. Plus, to be honest, I LOVE my ESA. (Except, that is, when it's broken!)

·
IBR# 366
16,569 Posts
I understand that Works developed the basic "ESA" system. You can get Works replacement shocks that maintain the on-the-fly Comfort/Normal/Sport damping settings, but lose the button-operated Solo/Luggage/2-up preload settings. Preload can still be changed manually. They do need your old shocks to remove some of the hardware though.

I may just go this route as I find that I adjust the damping settings a lot, but rarely mess with preload.

But I agree that BMW should sort out Jack's shock as he's still well under warranty.

·
Registered
807 Posts
I heard an ugly rumor that God broke his ESA because he lusts after his GT....;)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
See now...all you boys calm down. We live in a world in which things BREAK. It is the second law of thermodynamics in action. Things go from complex to simple. But...I did call the shop today and got good news and bad news:

GOOD NEWS: The cost of replacement shock is waranteed. Yippee!

BAD NEWS: The part will have to come from overseas and they have NO idea how long it will take.

Oh well, at least it stuck in the preload position I use most (ride +luggage). I am going to go get it tomorrow and they will call me when the shock is in and then it will be installed free. ;)

·
Registered
13,451 Posts

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
If I had something adjustable that broke, I would want it to break in the position I used most. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Saga Continues.....

I took my bike to the shop this morning and they installed the new rear shock. It has been redisigned and as a result the "old" computer on the bike will not communicate with it. Problem still exists. They special ordered a new computer...supposed to be in tomorrow and they have it fixed (crossing my fingers).

Overall, they have been great...just unexpected stuff happening. ANother update coming tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The parts did not come in...and my bike is not ready. Now they won't be here until Tuesday and they have to repair it from there. This really bites 'cause today it got up to about 80 degrees and is going to be one of the best weekends to ride in a long time.

To make matters worse, my new set of Dunlop Roadsmarts arrived (early) today and they are just sitting in my garage waiting to be installed on a bike I don't have right now.

For a long time people have asked, "ESA is great, but what happens when it breaks?" Well....it's not great. (But I still love my ESA).

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
saddle-man said:
Jack I'm to busy to ride this weekend you want my bike you got it

Hey Bro...I sure appreciate the offer! What a guy! That's one of the best things about this site--the people you meet and make friends with! If I go into deep withdrawals, I just may call! ;)

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hey Jack--I bet there's some good sermon material here somewhere...

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
wrmoss said:
Hey Jack--I bet there's some good sermon material here somewhere...
Good call.

"Today's sermon: The Patience of Job." :)

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
November 20th... still in shop... tick...tick...tick... or should I type the sound of pages on a calendar turning? :(

1 - 20 of 33 Posts