BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really looking forward to seeing and riding the new bikes, either the GT or GTL will likely replace my LT. I do have 2 questions.

I am curious/ possibly concerned about the adjustable suspension, I assume this would "lock in" and commit to staying with the BMW shocks? Usually, stock shocks are one of the first items to sack out. This isn't meant to be a bash on BMW, all manufacturers seem to cost cut shocks as a general rule. All the bikes I've enjoyed over the years have ended up (some shortly after purchase) with either FOX (R.I.P) Ohlins or Progressives, I've never regretted the purchases. I purchased front and rear Wilburs for my LT a few years ago and was the best investment I made on the bike.

Does anyone know if it would be simply a matter of "unplugging" the controls for the ESA should the need or want arise to replace the shocks?

As for the second question- I'm an avid trumpet player, I utilize the topcase on the LT to carry my horn around for gigs and practices (8000 miles worth last year!) I love being able to lock the horn up if need be. I'm hoping someone may have taken physical measurements of the interior space of the topcase, for instance the LT is around 21" long by 10" wide by 14" high (lower is about 7" plus around 7" for the top half).

If I can't find the measurements in advance I'll simply take my horn with me to the dealer when they arrive. If it fits the GTL it is, if not the GT!

Alan

·
Registered
102 Posts
If a dealer is close by you can throw your horn into an RT box. They are essentially the same with the GTL box being marginally smaller (but not enough to make a difference).

·
Registered
268 Posts
alanforn said:
I
Does anyone know if it would be simply a matter of "unplugging" the controls for the ESA should the need or want arise to replace the shocks?
1200RT riders with ESA shocks have replaced the stock shocks with aftermarket shocks without ESA and there was no fault showing in the cockpit.

Hyperpro and Wilbers make shocks compatible with ESA for the RT. They basically remove the ESA unit off your stock shocks and mount them to their shocks. Nothing yet available for the GT/GTL, but no doubt that's coming.

·
Registered
577 Posts
This may help, it is from one of the first accessory posts from the announcement at intermot show

this is for the Stowage-compartment pouch for touring topcase
• Pouch for items such as documents, writing instruments, mobile phone, small netbook. • Secures inside the topcase lid by means of 4 quick-action adapters. • Items can be conveniently inserted and removed, even when the pouch is inside the topcase. • All-round zip fastener. • Practical compartments inside. • 2 robust carry handles. • Dimensions: 37x22x4 cm (also suitable for DIN A4). • BMW Motorrad logotype. • Outer material: high-quality polyester weave. • Colour: Black. • Simultaneous use of stowage compartment pouch and liner inside the topcase possible,
subject to certain restrictions
Illustration: Stowage compartment pouch for touring topcase, closed
Illustration: Stowage compartment pouch for touring topcase, open

1 - 5 of 5 Posts