BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I have a 2000 Lt with 14,000 miles. It has an erratic idle and sometimes stalls at a redlight. I ran seafoam through it and no improvement. I removed the breather box and noticed a hose clamp very loose on 2 of the boots between the breather box and the intake openings of the throttle bodies. I also noticed a lot of oily residue around one of the bodies. Can a loose air cleaner boot cause an erratic idle and stalling? The bike has had a cannisterectomy. All 4 of the lines running from the throttle bodies to where the cannister used to be are in good shape with no leaks. Thanks for the help. Byrdman

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
byrdman said:
All 4 of the lines running from the throttle bodies to where the cannister used to be are in good shape with no leaks.
??? You may have a vacuum leak. IIRC, you should just need to block these off on the carb (or what ever you want to call it)

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
byrdman said:
I also noticed a lot of oily residue around one of the bodies.
This suggests the crankcase breather line behind the throttle bodies may be cracked open -- that would allow oil to make a mess, and create a vacuum leak.

A pita to get to to fix. However, before taking the bike apart to see whether this is the problem, you may be able to see whether the hose cracked by looking in with a flashlight from the front of the bike, past the suspension to the area above the engine block and below the frame backbone.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Mark and Hoss. I will check both of these on Sunday and post my findings. I will add that I also observed that the throttle body located at the front of the engine was the one covered with the oily residue and the butterfly in it was dirty along with the interior wall of the body itself. Also, the bike runs well except for idle and sometimes it idles ok for a few minutes

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
mneblett said:
This suggests the crankcase breather line behind the throttle bodies may be cracked open -- that would allow oil to make a mess, and create a vacuum leak.
If it is the breather... a mess is an understatement... A flashlight from the front will give you a view of the top of the engine...

it will look like this...

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
mneblett said:
If it is the breather... a mess is an understatement... A flashlight from the front will give you a view of the top of the engine...

it will look like this...

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update: It is Sunday pm and I am starting to put the bike back together. I inspected the vent tube on top of the engine between the engine and the frame and it is in good shape with no leaks. The only problem I could see was the loose boot and dirty throttle body. Got everything clamped down and cleaned up. I plan on having it back together and testing it out on Monday. Thanks Hoss for the photos they were a great help .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it all back together and went for a test ride. Idles very well, in fact better than it has in a long time. Not sure what fixed it. All I did was spray carb cleaner into the throttle bodies and wiped them out best I could I also cleaned them on the outside including all moving parts such as linkage and pivot points on the butterflies. I also made sure I fastened all hose clamps down good and tight to prevent air from being pulled in from around the bodies. Thanks again for the advice, it is well appreciated. Something about fixing your own bike and saving a lot of bucks makes it ride so much better .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts