BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from Cornwall this week on a very hot day I noticed that the gear indicator on the dashboard was behaving erratically. Sometimes it would work properly but, at others, it would show 0 in neutral and 1 in bottom but 0 for second, 1 for third, 0 for fourth and 1 for fifth. A few times fourth and fifth would show correctly but third and second would be 0 and 1. I've never seen anything like this before.

As I'm hoping to take my bike on a tour to Italy in a few weeks I wonder whether anyone can tell me how this indication is triggered? Is the cause more likely to be the trigger having problems in the heat or is it a possible warning of an impending failure in the 'box?

Thanks,
Keith

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, John. It would appear that it's nothing to get too worried about. We're planning to take Katie to Asiago, in northern Italy, next month and I don't need anything to worry me this close to leaving.

Keith

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,411 Posts
Look at post #4 here. For some tips to check the sending unit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Re: Erratic gear indicati

Not to worry as the rotary window switch does nothing but run the digital gear indication .
It is on the back of the transmission , above the cat converter and in front of the swing arm .
They have a tough life as the location is hot and some times wet .Drop the FD , lube the splines while you are in there as the swing arm must come off to replace the switch .
Must be same MoTronic computer and switch for LT's as RT's as my LT indicated 6th gear until I shifted through the gears a few times after I replaced the switch.

Bob G

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again, chaps. It's much appreciated. I don't think it'll get changed any time soon as I don't have the space to do any major work on the bike at home and if it isn't significant to the bike's reliability, given the cost of work at the dealer, I guess I'll just have to go back to doing without - as I did for so many years before I bought Katie.... :)

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You and Katie have a great holiday in Italia! Wish I was going, too!

FWIW, I had the same problem for a bit when my bike came back from the dealership. After a few hundred miles, the problem resolved. Never any (known) effect on the bike itself. Made me a bit wonko for a while, though. ;)

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We're looking forward to the trip, visiting Luxembourg, Ulm, Bolzano, Asiago, Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Colmar and Saint Quentin along the way. Unfortunately, whether we take the 'bike or the car is up in the air at the moment as my wife's not been well and it's left her with a swollen leg and foot. If it doesn't go down then the bike's out of the question but we should be OK in the car.

Manure happens!

Keith

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I took the bike out for the first time yesterday and the gear indicator worked normally, suggesting heat had a lot to do with the problem. I'm sure it wasn't as hot as it can be in some parts of the world but we did get caught in traffic a couple of times, which can't have helped.

Thanks for all your comments and advice.

Keith

1 - 9 of 9 Posts