BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the ERC yesterday due to requirements at work. There were 12 bikes in the class, eight were harleys, 5 of those were full dressers. Then there was my LT, an FJR, a ninja and a metric cruiser.

Let me start by saying that the ERC can be done on an LT. It handled great, and I was able to perform all the exercises fine. I was even able to do the box with no issues. I will say that I do own the "Ride like a Pro" video, and have practiced some.

The harley guys seemed to have some issues with the tight turns, but they were able to get through them by the end of the day. Everyone passed, some with a little more help from the instructors. The key is just what they tell you it is, look where you want to go.

Myself and the guy on the FJR seemed to have the easiest time of it.

Only one person dropped their bike, it was one of the full dressers, and it was while lining up for one of the exercises, not during an actual exercise.

If you have issues with the low speed handling of the LT, I would highly reccommend taking the ERC, you will get over any issues you have with parking lot speeds on this bike. By the end the day, I was very confident in my low speed skills, and was even able to do a U turn out of my normal parking spot at work instead of the usual three pouint turn!!

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Congrats, Tony - glad you did the class and passed. I think anyone who finishes an ERC course benefits in some fashion - even seasoned riders.

Twice during the '00-'09 years, several of us in the South Central region have arranged an all-LT ERC class, taught by an excellent rider/coach. What a hoot to see a dozen or so LTs running patterns and cone layouts. Time to do it agin!!

Thanks for sharing, Tony.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Awesome................I could do the same here in the north Florida area, if any 12 LTers are interested. It would be an easy event to put on if there were interested parties. I am a RiderCoach and am good friends that I work for. I have taken the ERC course too and I am a strong believer in continuing training on a motorcycle. As much as you can.

·
Registered
888 Posts
We did one in Dallas a few years ago. IIRC there were 10 or 11 LT's, a Yamaha full dress and a Triumph.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nice work!

Ride safe,
Curt

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
What's ERC? I know it's a riders course, but what's the E? I googled it, and came up with stuff like Elenore Roosevelt College, European Recourse Council, etc.

Did you run it with the trunk on? Did an Advanced Riders Course, but used my FZ1. Thinking that I would run it again if I can get my daughter to go, and that I'd use the LT, but thought I'd pull the trunk first.

Thanks,
Frank

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
Experienced Rider Course. And I forgot to mention that we have had two-up course attendees who benefitted from the various aspects that were taught.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Tony;

You take the ERC two-up??? It's a challenge... The go-fast riders thot me and the missus were nutz... But we showed 'em how it's done... If you can do ERC two-up, DO IT! It's a helluva edumacation...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Dick said:
Congrats, Tony - glad you did the class and passed. I think anyone who finishes an ERC course benefits in some fashion - even seasoned riders.

Twice during the '00-'09 years, several of us in the South Central region have arranged an all-LT ERC class, taught by an excellent rider/coach. What a hoot to see a dozen or so LTs running patterns and cone layouts. Time to do it agin!!

Thanks for sharing, Tony.
I would definitely ride down for an all-LT ERC class. I'm still a little shaky in the slow speed stuff, but have been improving steadily. Count me in if you do it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts