BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I eradicated the last Windows system from our house. Even the media system has been changed now to MacOS. This whole crusade inside the house started about three weeks ago when I (again) got very frustrated that I couldn't go things with some of the systems that should have been very easy.

The next day I went out and replaced Karen's desktop with a shiny new iMac. For a while then my desktop was a Dell Laptop running MacOS as a hackintosh and after I got the media library under control I replaced my Desktop/Laptop with a Macbook (pro) and today I replaced the last bastion of windows, which was the PC that ran the TV. My hackintosh now operates the TV and the all the other systems in the house (including Hannah's laptop) run Linux.

I am going to mark this day int the calendar as the demise of Windows in this household.

·
Miles of Smiles
1,054 Posts
Andy, some people just take a little longer. :yeah:
Welcome to the Mac community (Linux too)
Life doesn't have to be made harder than it already is.
Have fun and enjoy

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
I started having a little dabble with various Linux distributions a couple of years ago. Gotta tell ya, life is better in a house without Gates or Windows!

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The only Windoze system I touch is my Corp laptop. My big desktop at the house is Ubuntu 10.10 and the small desktop is a Hackintosh. That may soon go away and become another Ubuntu box.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
That's too bad. Diversity breeds success, flexibility, and the capability to get a job done with the right tool. Or maybe, you just don't perform any tasks that require a Windows box. I do.

My DAW's hardware and software only runs on a Windows box ... in spite of Windows. ;) And is rock-solid doing it. In my experience, it's more stable than the mac machines running Pro Tools ... the most-heralded audio software out there.

Then again ... we might just want to agree to disagree. :)

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Thats why I installed VMWare on my big desktop. I installed XP on it and now I can run any Windoze software I need and still have the security of Linux under the hood.

·
Premium Member
1,481 Posts
messenger13_ver2 said:
That's too bad. Diversity breeds success, flexibility, and the capability to get a job done with the right tool. Or maybe, you just don't perform any tasks that require a Windows box. I do.

My DAW's hardware and software only runs on a Windows box ... in spite of Windows. ;) And is rock-solid doing it. In my experience, it's more stable than the mac machines running Pro Tools ... the most-heralded audio software out there.

Then again ... we might just want to agree to disagree. :)
Mmmm...guess we will have to agree to disagree. I've been very happy running Pro Tools on my Mac.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Good for you Andy. I went MAC years ago and love it. I still have to maintain a Windoze laptop to do some marine equipment programming. Also recently changed to Humana for our Rx service and discovered that I cant do all the online functions. Called their web support (a waste of time) and was told that they only support Windows , Internet Explorer, and Net Scape. How antiquated! :(

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Boatzo said:
Good for you Andy. I went MAC years ago and love it. I still have to maintain a Windoze laptop to do some marine equipment programming. Also recently changed to Humana for our Rx service and discovered that I cant do all the online functions. Called their web support (a waste of time) and was told that they only support Windows , Internet Explorer, and Net Scape. How antiquated! :(
Do not expect any company to invest resources, if they even have them, to port applications they have been running for years over to MAC. That is not an expectation that will fly very far. It takes a LOT of time and money to do that, when you will only add a couple percent of users. Remember, even though MAC may be "better", it is still a VERY small base of users in the market. Last I saw, still less than a 5% market share in home and business computers. Then realize that only a portion of that 5% may be a user of your services, making a port over an economic loss of pretty large proportion.

I have not worked for any company that had MACS, except for one system in the last company I worked for used for developing marketing graphics/catalogs.

I also do not have any relatives, and very few friends that have MACS. Like it or not, you are tilting at windmills. Regardless of how bad or good they are, Windows is going to be the gorilla in the room for a long time to come. MAC is likely to never be more than a niche market.

I have been in engineering for decades. Little engineering software, and just about NO high market share 3D CAD runs on MACS. They are best known in business for graphics intense software, but most companies are doing the same work just fine on Windows machines.

Are MACS good? Absolutely. Are they in any way necessary? Absolutely not. Are Windows machines good?, well, yes. Especially since the advent of Win 7. Are they necessary? In many cases, yes, since many corporate networks, and corporate software will run on Windows only. Yes, you can make a MAC run windows, especially since their switch to Intel processors, but slower than native MAC software, which unfortunately is still lacking applications in a lot of areas.

So, if you are happy with them, fantastic, they do everything you want or need to do. For the great majority of computer users, they really offer no compelling reason to go through the pain and EXPENSE of switching.

I am still running Windows XP, does absolutely everything I want or need it to do, and, knock on wood, I have had NO OS related problems for many years. Why should I want to switch? I am NOT a Microsoft fanboy in any way. Just that I HAD to use it for decades because of 3D CAD, and even though MACS look good, there is NO reason I can think of to switch. I do spend a little each year to keep my anti-virus and spy-ware software up to date, but that is certainly far less to spend than any upgrade to another type of OS, with a learning curve that I see no reason to go through. My system is on 24/7, hooked to the Internet, and I have not had a virus/trojan problem since Win 95. Should MAC eventually gain a 50% market share (if I live that long), then I would certainly consider a switch, should I see any real technical reason worth the added cost to do so. Unfortunately, for the MAC fan club, that would be their dream, and at the same time their nightmare. Then the virus and trojan hackers would have a new target. You are not large enough for them to want to mess with, yet. So, for your sake, stay small!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,170 Posts
dshealey said:
I have not worked for any company that had MACS, except for one system in the last company I worked for used for developing marketing graphics/catalogs.
Interestingly enough my employer is now adding MacBooks and iPads as part of our new standards... This is in great part due to mobile computing and the ease of developing apps for smart phones and tablets where Apple has a large market share.
This would have been unthinkable just a couple of years ago... This is as fast technology is changing things around us.

·
Slow Old Guy
2,012 Posts
My wife's new laptop came with Win 7 and I thought I would have to buy some new software as our Streets and Trips is a 2006 version and Quicken is 2003. Both programs loaded and ran without a hitch. Using Firefox for a browser, Thunderbird for e-mail and Eset NOD32 for antivirus. No issues for years so no reason to change to Mac for our needs.

I am glad the Andy/Mac household is happy though.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Howdy folk.

I got a MacBook Pro about a year ago in large part to see what all the talk was about for myself. I must say after more than a year of use, I've been underwhelmed. Considering the price premium for Apple products, I did not find any advantage. I won't go into all the details on disappointing reliability, useability and networking trouble. Just enough to say I have been greatly disappointed. I don't have the time or energy to set up and/or learn Linux so it's back to Windurs for me.

Karl

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Interestingly enough, I just purged the last VISTA POS OS out of my house. Windows 7 is a vast improvement. Vista brought back too many Windoes ME (Millennium Edition, pre Windows 2000) memories.

7 seems fast, stable. Have it on 4 machines now.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
One day, Android will crush you all! *evil grin* mwahahahahahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
131 Posts
What are these Window systems you are all talking about? Mine just have a little crank to open and close them when I want to enjoy a nice breeze from outside while I work on my Mac. Seriously though, just like motorcycles they both have their problems. The tipping point for me, since Albert Gore invented this internet thing, is viruses. Windows=many viruses, Mac =few viruses. I realize that this will change in the future as Apple becomes a big enough target for slimeballs to target. That time is not now. So while I wish Apple all the best in their business model, I would prefer that they stay a "niche" in the market. Your mileage may vary. If it does just restart three times and re-install your software.......I hear that works. :histerica

John

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
kmurphy165 said:
I got a MacBook Pro about a year ago in large part to see what all the talk was about for myself. I must say after more than a year of use, I've been underwhelmed. Considering the price premium for Apple products, I did not find any advantage. I won't go into all the details on disappointing reliability, useability and networking trouble. Just enough to say I have been greatly disappointed. I don't have the time or energy to set up and/or learn Linux so it's back to Windurs for me.
Karl, in case you weren't aware.... you can run Windoze on your Macbook Pro.. so no need to change the machine. Use the bootcamp function under Mac to set up the extra partion... I run XP along with Mac OS on mine... just boot into whichever partition you want to use at startup.
Get the best (or worst) of both worlds.
:)

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Way to go Andy!! WooHoo!! Gots to feel good!!

·
Premium Member
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And in all honesty I am much more of a pragmatic than I may let on. One always has to use the right tools for the job. Which in my case tends to be more more a MAC than a Windoze system.

It is true that in the last years M$ has learned a lot and their systems are better compared to the crap they produced even 10 years ago, but even so, M$ still has to learn a LOT of how other systems become more usable, faster and more stable.

But what does it for me is that I can use the same system 99.9% of the time. At this point you have to know that I am responsible for many (100+) UNIX systems here at work, and the tools to access UNIX systems just aren't as polished on Windoze as they are on other UNIX systems like MacOS. I can access the company file shares (which are on windows) I can access the Exchange servers, and I have all the rest of the tools I need at my fingertips and the integration has come to a point where I need the windoze system on my desk maybe once a week.

That is one side of the problem. The other side is that I want to distribute our extensive media library at home fully transparently and with all the functionality needed. Unfortunately for the marketplace there is currently only one product that does the media distribution and the presentation on the client side half way decent and that is iTunes.

Yes, I know there will be someone that says, but there is product A, or product B that can do this or that, but in the end if you want to easily distribute and make your users (in this case my family) understand how to operate the home network without *ME* doing all the "magical" work over and over after more than a year of trying and looking there is just no other product on the market. Today I can distribute our 300+G media library, with movies, TV shows, Music, Audio books, and everything else without having to know much about anything.

So, the bottom line is that for me its more about the "swiss knife" qualities of the Mac's than anything else. They do everything I have to do a work admirably, they can distribute the media perfectly (and *NO* that does NOT in iTunes on M$) and everything in between. In the end though everybody has to make their own mind, because what is important to me may not be even on the radar of the next person at all.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Howdy, Chris.

Yah, I'm aware of boot camp. I looked at Parallels and liked it. The issue has been time and limited energy due to chronic health trouble to set it up. But if I decided to revisit the Macbook, I'd certainly look at the Parallels. Of course if I had time and energy for that, I'd be able to do a Linux distro.

Pantin' Karl

·
THE Democracy Doctor
5,694 Posts
andy said:
Today I eradicated the last Windows system from our house. Even the media system has been changed now to MacOS. This whole crusade inside the house started about three weeks ago when I (again) got very frustrated that I couldn't go things with some of the systems that should have been very easy.

The next day I went out and replaced Karen's desktop with a shiny new iMac. For a while then my desktop was a Dell Laptop running MacOS as a hackintosh and after I got the media library under control I replaced my Desktop/Laptop with a Macbook (pro) and today I replaced the last bastion of windows, which was the PC that ran the TV. My hackintosh now operates the TV and the all the other systems in the house (including Hannah's laptop) run Linux.

I am going to mark this day int the calendar as the demise of Windows in this household.
Yeah, Andy, you put the word to our Mama's!

I had a Vista FAILURE, last week. Tried to get around doing a "clean install" (wipe the HD). WHAT was I thinking?! So I installed Windoz 7 and will now have to reload all my programs! WTF? Even my panties are exploding on this one. :wtf: :cussing:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts