BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I almost hesitate to ask this...but I've searched the archives with no sure answer...and even the FAQ section (Cooling section has NO entries).

Do you know of a coolant equivalent to BMW antifreeze that one could pick up locally???

There's been threads on it...but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I don't mind paying the price for the BMW stuff...but the nearest dealer is 240 miles round trip. I need the coolant but don't want to have to make the trip.

Thanks, Tom

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I am sure there is an "equivalent" coolant, and I usually hate to pay the price BMW wants for their "special" oils and such since it is simply ridiculous. If you put in a coolant with no nitrites or phosphates you'll be just fine.

When it came down to coolant though, I thought do I really want to change the chemistry inside the hoses and passages for a few bucks difference... You'll get two changes out of a gallon, so it really isn't all that bad.

I'm pretty sure Chicago BMW will send you a gallon at 20% off just for asking, so by the time you pop for shipping you are back to retail, without leaving your couch! ;)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
Any good name brand anti-freeze made to work in aluminum engines/cooling systems is fine, as long as it contains NO NITRATES or PHOSPHATES.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Honda coolant...

I have been using Honda's coolant. It meets the Beemer specs and Honda dealers are everywhere, more or less. IIRC, it is pre-mixed and ready to go.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Toyota coolant

I had a radiator hose come loose on my K1100LT a few years ago, called BMW of Orlando asked what can I use?

BMW coolant or Toyota red and distilled water only

·
Registered
1,525 Posts

Havoline Extended Life Anti-Freeze/Coolant DEX-COOL is a universal engine coolant that incorporates patented organic acid corrosion inhibitor technology. This coolant meets both ASTM D 3306 for automotive service and ASTM D 4985 for heavy-duty diesel service. It is a nitrite-, nitrate-, phosphate-, silicate-, borate and amine-free formulation.

Zerex ExtremeLife 5/150 Patented formula contains no silicates, phosphates, borates, nitrates or amines.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My bike was down for three weeks while I waited on a part and at the last minute before buttoning it back up on a Sunday I decided to change coolant. Cost wouldn't matter but I couldn't get BMW or Honda or other dealer coolant on a Sunday. The simple function of freezing point depression, water pump lubication and anti corrosive additives have gotton so complicated with requirements from the various manufacturers that many are now manking universal coolants.

My Corvette says use Dex-Cool....My Wife's Explorer says basically use anything but Dex-Cool....My Jeep says any ethylene based coolant safe for AL radiators....JEEZ.

So to get riding again on a beautiful Sunday I bought the Prestone stuff that says on the bottle.....it mixes, replaces and it compatible with any color, type, manufacturer, etc. of anti-freeze....safe for AL parts, etc.

I'll let you know if my radiators or water pump falls out in the next six months :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
I figured the Prestone must be OK because of the absolute blanket statements made that it was compatible with every coolant for every engine ever made. I mean if their legal department and the federal trade commision allows that kind of statement it must be true or else I'm going to be the class maker in the class action suit that I'll lobby Mr. Neblet to file on our behalf.

·
Registered
13 Posts
CWF said:
My bike was down for three weeks while I waited on a part and at the last minute before buttoning it back up on a Sunday I decided to change coolant. Cost wouldn't matter but I couldn't get BMW or Honda or other dealer coolant on a Sunday. The simple function of freezing point depression, water pump lubication and anti corrosive additives have gotton so complicated with requirements from the various manufacturers that many are now manking universal coolants.

My Corvette says use Dex-Cool....My Wife's Explorer says basically use anything but Dex-Cool....My Jeep says any ethylene based coolant safe for AL radiators....JEEZ.

So to get riding again on a beautiful Sunday I bought the Prestone stuff that says on the bottle.....it mixes, replaces and it compatible with any color, type, manufacturer, etc. of anti-freeze....safe for AL parts, etc.

I'll let you know if my radiators or water pump falls out in the next six months :)
FYI: Dexcool and Toyota Red are not the same. Toyota red is great coolant. However, I have seen so many sludged up radiators and such from Dexcool on GM cars and trucks when they started using that crap. Service interval is significantly less. IMHO, change the Dexcool in your Corvette every 2 years.
ASE Certified Master Auto and Heavy Truck Tech. Perry.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Tbird said:
I almost hesitate to ask this...but I've searched the archives with no sure answer...and even the FAQ section (Cooling section has NO entries).

Do you know of a coolant equivalent to BMW antifreeze that one could pick up locally???

There's been threads on it...but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I don't mind paying the price for the BMW stuff...but the nearest dealer is 240 miles round trip. I need the coolant but don't want to have to make the trip.

Thanks, Tom
I used Prestone Extended Life 50/50. This is claimed to be free of phosphates, nitrates, silicates, etc. and appears to meet all BMW requirements. Others here and used and recommended it and it is readily available in most parts of the US.

http://prestone.com/learn_more/frequently_asked_questions#faq-row-466

·
Registered
220 Posts
You can get BMW coolant at any BMW automotive dealer, or you can buy Mini coolant at any Mini dealer. You can also use Pentofrost NF, a Pentosin product available at NAPA Parts. If they don't have it on the shelf, they can get it for you. These are all nitrite and phosphate free as per the LT requirement, and all three are dyed blue. With any of these you don't have to flush the engine from original OE coolant since it is all compatible.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Prestone 50/50 is fine and broadly available.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,186 Posts
How do people find these????

·
Registered
929 Posts
You all looked younger then... :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Geeze, y'all bitch when we ask a question has been asked before, now ya bitch cuz we're using the search engine! :histerica

1 - 20 of 22 Posts