BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I know I got the part numbers from the forum in the past, but I've searched until my fingers are going to fall off.

I can't work out what I need to attach the rear of the underride protection bar to the engine. Seems the BMW ETK is missing a bracket in the diagram.

I have:
46 52 2 333 316 protection bar
46 52 2 333 315 bow
46 52 2 333 394 support

The bow and support are both for the front end of the under ride protection grate. I see two mounting points on the rear sides of the oil pan that match the ones at the front where the 315 bow attaches, but according to ETK, no further parts (besides hardware) are required.

Anyone been there, done that?

Thanks

Brett

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
The rear bolts into the central web of the side/centerstand mount.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jzeiler said:
The rear bolts into the central web of the side/centerstand mount.
Just got the front wheel back on the bike, which let me remove the blocks I had under the engine.

The under ride protection bar I have is narrower at the rear than the mounting points for the side stand bracket. It would also leave the engine completely exposed to damage, by protecting only from the rear of the engine to the stand bracketry, and would need bolts about 7 inches long to secure it, even if it had the correct bolt pattern.

So, what am I missing here? Anyone got a photo of this protection bar installed?

Thanks

Brett

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
The bolts are only 2-3" long and thread into the web between the rear centerstand bracket bolts. It does not protect the engine but rather helps distribute the impact to those long mounting bosses on the transmission. With out it you risk breaking one of those and emptying the oil right out of the gearbox.

All I could find is a shot of the front of the mount. If you get this part right the back end will become obvious (I hope).

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzeiler said:
All I could find is a shot of the front of the mount. If you get this part right the back end will become obvious (I hope).
Thanks. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I get back to it.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,909 Posts
Don,

That is not a pic of his bike, but a shot I had stored away on the front of the underrider mount.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bretta said:
Thanks. I'll take a closer look tomorrow when I get back to it.
Amazing what you can see with some light.

Now I see the holes I missed the other day. Thanks for the info.

Brett

1 - 8 of 8 Posts