BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a parts bike including the engine, transmission and driveline. I plan on keeping these items for a rainy day and I was curious what the best method of long term storage would be for them.

Should I leave all the fluids in them and store them that way or break them down, drain them and package them up?

Currently they are still on a rolling frame but I plan on pulling the front wheel for another project.

Thanks

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,358 Posts
Let me just say what I saw. A friend totaled a bike in 2007 and the salvage stuff went to a storage shed of a friend in TX. Fast forward to 2012 and the the guy is on his third LT he bought with 100,000 on it and it lost power, bad engine so he goes to TX and gets the old engine from his first bike and we installed it and he has been running it ever since. So no prep, 6 year storage, and it ran fine. Seriously if there is fresh oil in the engine you are good to go, the cylinders are Nikasil coated so the rings will not rust to them. Just close off openings to keep crud and critters out.

Reactions: Patric and beech

·
Premium Member
7,647 Posts
I have a parts bike including the engine, transmission and driveline. I plan on keeping these items for a rainy day and I was curious what the best method of long term storage would be for them.

Should I leave all the fluids in them and store them that way or break them down, drain them and package them up?

Currently they are still on a rolling frame but I plan on pulling the front wheel for another project.

Thanks
I would drain and fill with fresh oil, rotate around all axes to coat the inside of the cases, then place in a garbage bag with a couple desiccant packets and then seal up the bag. Probably good for 10+ years even in a humid climate. If you are in Tucson, ignore all this and just stick the parts on a shelf. 😁

·
Registered
570 Posts
By any chance in your parts bike do you have the two wires from the horns? I'm going to replace the wimpy horn on my RT with the loud obnoxious ones on our beloved LTs. I have already bought a set of horns, so need the wires with the connectors. Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts