BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we are talking the gauge on the right hand side. 2000LT.
Something has gone a bit wonky, trouble is I can't remember how it behaved before exactly.

1. First symptom... gauge is now very active, jumping around quite a bit, nervous. Reminded me of those Smiths gauges on English cars from years ago... you have to look at them for a while and take a visual 'average'.
2. 2nd symptom... gauge stays on dead cold and then suddenly pops up to normal position (3/4 mark) when I accelerate hard, then drops immediately (instantly) to zero.
3. Everyday running is a mixture of 1 & 2.
4. No fans coming on. Temperature is in the 50-60'sF at the moment.

From memory...
a. Never had trouble with the temperature, fans will cut in properly when really hot (like in summer in the US when in traffic etc).
b. Previously, the needle of gauge did move reasonably fast, but it was definitely smooth, not jerky, and would be 'gliding' around the scale, not 'REM'ing it.

Any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I would suspect a loose (or corroded) connection. I have never been down inside to this level, so I have no further suggestions. Others with more wisdom will follow, I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Are the radiators FULL? Overflow tank full. Sounds like air in the radiator to me meaning low fluid level and a leak somewhere.

Loose connection as mentioned above too.

Bad sending unit? :bmw:

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,545 Posts
The temp sender that drives the gage has nothing to do with the fans so you may actually be in the normal range with a bad sender or gage. The sender is under the waterpump/oilpump at the right front of the engine. Easy enough to check for a loose connection. The fans are controlled by the ECU which is fed from a sender at the rear of the cylinder head behind the spark block.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts