BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have passed this problem past you before and had some good advice, but the problem still persists.
On occasion, usually whilst riding, my LT's led display goes blank and the engine cuts out, just as if I had removed the key. Some times I can just turn key off then on again and all is well, and some times it wont come back to life at all and I have to be recovered.
I have cleaned all the earth connections and replaed the battery. Replaced the 2 block connectors next to the battery for + and - from the battery. Diagnostics show no problem and dealer as no idea.
I am now looking to check the plug at the end of the ignition barrel, but that intails removing the whole front end, and I want to try anything else first.
When it happens, the only power availible is to the comm/radio unit and the top box vanity light. The central locking works also. I lose all lights, servo's indicators everything. As I have said, it is as if I have turned the key to the of position.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Regards

Dean

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
That does sound like the ignition switch. I don't have more to offer as I am away from my diagrams on a trip. If it was the load shed relay the engine would still run. So there is not much else other than the ignition switch that could cause this.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
DanDiver said:
Maybe the kickstand switch?

Just brain storming...
Good idea Dan, but that wouldn't kill the dash too. This one will bear watching to see what the final outcome is.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input, not thought of the side stand switch, but this would only kill the engine. I am losing all electrical including the centrer stand except for the radio comms unit and the vanity light in the top box.
I am going to stip down next weekend and check out the ignition switch plug connector, but if any one else as any ideas please leave a reply. Any help and ideas would be appreciated.
I will keep the forum updated with any outcome.

Dean

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
jzeiler said:
Good idea Dan, but that wouldn't kill the dash too. This one will bear watching to see what the final outcome is.
Thanks for the feedback - I had something fly up on an interstate ride a few years ago and brake the two springs holding up the kickstand. The kickstand fell down and the engine died at about 50-60 MPH during rush hour tragic. That was interesting.

·
Registered
594 Posts
deancardey said:
Thanks for the input, not thought of the side stand switch, but this would only kill the engine. I am losing all electrical including the centrer stand except for the radio comms unit and the vanity light in the top box.
I am going to stip down next weekend and check out the ignition switch plug connector, but if any one else as any ideas please leave a reply. Any help and ideas would be appreciated.
I will keep the forum updated with any outcome.

Dean
In my books loosing all but rear trunk light and radio points to ignition switch. Those two circuits are broken only when ignition lock is in the steering lock positition. So the bike acts like somebody would turn the ignition off. I bet the map light works also?

·
Registered
71 Posts
deancardey said:
Hi All,
I have passed this problem past you before and had some good advice, but the problem still persists.
On occasion, usually whilst riding, my LT's led display goes blank and the engine cuts out, just as if I had removed the key. Some times I can just turn key off then on again and all is well, and some times it wont come back to life at all and I have to be recovered.
I have cleaned all the earth connections and replaed the battery. Replaced the 2 block connectors next to the battery for + and - from the battery. Diagnostics show no problem and dealer as no idea.
I am now looking to check the plug at the end of the ignition barrel, but that intails removing the whole front end, and I want to try anything else first.
When it happens, the only power availible is to the comm/radio unit and the top box vanity light. The central locking works also. I lose all lights, servo's indicators everything. As I have said, it is as if I have turned the key to the of position.
Any ideas would be most welcome.

Regards

Dean
I once had a car that would die driving down the road/street. After much diagnosing and hair pulling, it turned out to be too many keys on my keychain dangling from the ignition. Put one in from the junkyard, no more problems. I would try the ignition first.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will let you know if the map light also works, but I dont so. I cant tell you now, as the fault is clear after leaving a couple of days and all is well. I only use the ignition key on its own, and as it happens, I did try ther spare keys just incase the key was faulty, buit no joy.
I am taking it to the dealer for a diagnostics reading, but not hopeful. I am also looking to buy my own diagnostics software to do my own tests.Will keep you informed.

Thanks for now

Dean

·
Registered
837 Posts
I've had this happen several times- not fun.

Cause- my keys...they got hung up between the stingray and the handlebar plastic and literally turned the bike off.

Turn it back on- no issues.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts