BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought my troubles were over with my 2004 UK LT (2005 USA). Went to get it out of the garage and engine started and rode the few yards down the drive. Left it running for a couple of mins while locking the garage.

In that time the engine cut out :( and now won't restart, it did try on one cylinder on the first attempt, but now nothing not even attempting to fire up on any cylinders.

The fuel hoses in the tank have been replaced as suggested when the problem was first put up, but that mainly concentrated on the fuel hose problems which have been resolved.

Looks like back to the start, but where's the best place to start on looking what the fault is. Getting to be an expert in removing the plastics, with no screws left over. :(

·
Registered
493 Posts
I replaced the hoses on mine. Used aftermarket generic hoses. It blew open. Had to buy OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I replaced the hoses on mine. Used aftermarket generic hoses. It blew open. Had to buy OEM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Double checked them and they are ok, the U one is genuine BM, the short one is aftermarket until I can get a BM one.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
If you used the BMW OEM hoses then they should be good. If you used over the counter hose like Mondrage then you may still have an issue there. It needs to be rated for more than 50 Lbs pressure and submersible.

Second question is did you use fuel injection clamps? Double check for swirling in the tank to be sure you didn't pop off a hose or if it was not properly rated hose, that it didn't split like Mondrage.

If those check out, then check to make sure you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn on the ignition. Could be a bad pump also. Sounds like a fuel issue on the surface. A GS911 diagnostic would be next in line if you can find someone with one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double checked and there's no swirling of fuel and clamps are fuel injection capable as they are BMW ones, the short fuel hose is rated at 50 lbs which is why I need to replace with genuine BM one soon. Fuel pump is priming as one would expect it to.

Been looking on ebay for gs-911 only the new wifi ones on the UK ebay at the moment at over £1500, unfortunately don't know any one locally that has a gs-911.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
In that time the engine cut out :( and now won't restart, it did try on one cylinder on the first attempt, but now nothing not even attempting to fire up on any cylinders.
You sure it is a fuel problem? Have you checked spark? Anyone have a GS911 near you that can help you with some diagnoses?

Sure hope you get her running soon.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't believe its a fuel problem at all, think it lies somewhere else, hopefully a tomorrow job to check the sparks. No gs911 near me, hope a mate has one and on one of his trips around the country he can call in, but its a very slim chance that he might have a gs911.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
did you remove the plug from the coil pack? check it is on tight I left mine off during the service it wouldn't start obviously. took a while to find it

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This mornings testing dons so far.

1. Tried to start bike and still dead.

2. Put it in top gear with ignition on and kill switch in the run position. Now the dangerous bit if not careful, as bike could fall off the main stand or even start up, worse could damage your fingers if it starts up. Slowly rotated the rear wheel, as the wheel rotated the engine, the fuel pump was priming the system as whichever sensor detects the engine turning starts the fuel pump to keep the system topped up with fuel.

3. Side plastics off and No. 2 plug removed and grounded on casing to earth it. Pressed the starter and there was a spark, then the engine decide to start up.

4. Put number 2 spark plug back in, tried to restart the engine and it fired up on the first press of the starter button. Left it running until the fans came on and every thing seams ok.

5. Now waiting for it to cool down so can put the plastics back on, and back to the drawing board, and take it for a test run tomorrow as its booked in for its annual road test.

I looked at the conections on the coil pack and they all appear to be fully in place.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Since you are in there, check the plug wires to ensure they aren't cut or crimped. I had a plug wire that was crimped during installation that eventually cut through to the wire. As expected, it caused me issues, but at least the LT cranked.

Rob, 2000LT
Navarre, FL

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
All checked and ok, in the end took the plug and leads of the coil pack to check for corrosion and all were clean, made sure that they were firmly in place on refitting them.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,167 Posts
May be your fuel pressure, if it is not up around 50 PSI the bike will not run well if at all. The regulator is at the rear end of the fuel rail, also check the return hose for blockage.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the return loop and that appears ok, at the moment have no way of checking pump pressure. Took it for its annual test today and it ran fine only around a 6 mile round trip, doubt at the min will trust it on much longer runs. At least now I can do test runs locally, though could get a bit heavy to push back home.

Still keeping an eye on UK ebay for a gs-911.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts