BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sight glass is getting hard to see through and I'd like to replace it. Does anyone have a reference on where to order this or the part number?

Thanks!

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I just received mine from BMW Motorcycles of Louisville. Part # 11 11 7 710 474. Does anyone feel that certain oils or filters cause the fogging? Mine was fine at 76000 miles and toast at 79000.
 

·
Registered
1999 LTC
Joined
·
14,456 Posts
EncoreJoe said:
My sight glass is getting hard to see through and I'd like to replace it. Does anyone have a reference on where to order this or the part number?

Thanks!

Joe
Hey, Joe - hope this doesn't confuse, butt on the A&S parts fiche, they show this number 11 11 7 661 648, as well as the one from Steve. Both cost the same, so somewhere, there must have been some sort of change in either material, or sumpthin'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When I try these numbers on the Max BMW web search 11117710474 gives me "OIL LEVEL INDICATOR" for $31.02 and the other shows as $28.00 but no description comes up.

I guess I'll try the $31 version.

Steve, I'm at 73,500 miles and my glass has gotten foggy in the last 10k.

Anyone else have input on this part number?

Thanks.

Joe
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
The other numbers were listed as NLA and a note said to order 11117710474 in the MAX BMW parts listing. For the LT you can pitch the clip ring as you don't need it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
I was going to order a new sight glass from Chicago, but they are charging $9.00 for shipping. This seems a bit excessive, it is cheaper to order it from my local dealer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I have an 08 LT - not had it long so a newbie - when reading the oil level with the bike on the center stand can't see a level as if the engine oil was to high.
When I put the bike on the side stand there is a clear level and its just visible near the bottom of the window . Does that sound okay or should I be trying to drop some oil out.
Any advice welcome .
By the way love the site.
Dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On my '99 with bike on the sidestand the full level is at the halfway point of the window glass.

I've had mine full to the very top of glass when on centerstand to the point I had to shake the bike a little to see a bubble of air at the top. That didn't hurt anything but makes it hard to check.

You can also look at the glass as soon as you cut the engine and watch the sight glass fill to reassure yourself that there is really oil in there :)

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
EncoreJoe said:
On my '99 with bike on the sidestand the full level is at the halfway point of the window glass.

I've had mine full to the very top of glass when on centerstand to the point I had to shake the bike a little to see a bubble of air at the top. That didn't hurt anything but makes it hard to check.

You can also look at the glass as soon as you cut the engine and watch the sight glass fill to reassure yourself that there is really oil in there :)

Joe
Thanks reply - yes that did cross my mind " is there any oil in this bike ??" - will take your advise and watch the sump fill up for reassurance
Dave
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
13,940 Posts
G-DAVE said:
I have an 08 LT - not had it long so a newbie - when reading the oil level with the bike on the center stand can't see a level as if the engine oil was to high.
When I put the bike on the side stand there is a clear level and its just visible near the bottom of the window . Does that sound okay or should I be trying to drop some oil out.
Any advice welcome .
By the way love the site.
Dave
I have mine filled to the brim so to speak as well. That way I look at the sight glass and if I see black I am good to go. You would really have to add a couple of extra quarts to suffer from the effects of over filling the way this sump runs. So you are fine the way it is now.

Ditto on the "watch it fill back up on shutdown" comment. That will let you know for sure when you need to replace the sight glass when you can't see the level increase.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,104 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Which kind of oil do you think is less likely to "cloud" or darken the sight glass and why? ;)

Only the oil that is slick....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
628 Posts
cccpastorjack said:
Which kind of oil do you think is less likely to "cloud" or darken the sight glass and why? ;)
Dirty oil :histerica
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top