BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the middle of removing the engine on my bike due to alternator failing...one interesting thing I discovered was the oil level sensor is a simple float device...seems a little low tech for our bikes....the most frustrating thing is those darn plugs for the electric connections...they all seem different and for me it's really been a challenge figuring out the combination to get them to release...always seems like I am going to break them...I have searched for a good description or video to help but no luck...I did download a 750 page shop manual..but not very helpful in that department...very anxious to get this done and back on the road....wow what a mess....very big job...I was pleased to find my valve clearances still within tolerance at 93 thousand miles...wish me luck putting all back together...ugh

Attachments

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Indeed, wow that is a job but fortunately you will be paid for your troubles hopefully! I say hopefully because for 110K miles I did all of the oil changes on the first car I bought new in 1981 or so. Then, on that fateful day, I went to loosen the drain bolt and the dang thing wouldn't budge! Me n the neighbor got his come-along after all else failed and finally got a grip on it and broke it loose...except...it was the female thread sleeve in the oil pan that broke loose! After removing the drain PAN, as I was scraping adhered gasket off of the bottom of the crankcase housing my hand slipped and I cut the extensor tendon of Rt 3rd digit, which cost me $800 to have repaired! All of my saved $$ on oil changes disappeared in a fraction of a second!

So be careful, take your time on methodically putting the puzzle back together again! It would be my luck to put it all back together perfectly only to discover I forgot to replace the stator!

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very cool Chief. Thanks for sharing your adventure. It sounds like a good education on the RT. I did a major project on my Harley several years ago and it took me 3 - 4 months in my spare time. I’m not a mechanic, I went slow, and I had to just learn it as I went. When I was done, I was almost surprised how well it worked out. If you’re so inclined, keep us updated. What manual did you get?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I downloaded it from this.....

https://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/278397606-bmw-r1200rt-lc-k52-2014-service-repair

It's very helpful and was well worth the money....I did get the engine out...sooo one step at a time...right and most definitely getting a education on my bike!!...probably won't save that much money when it's all said and done with the purchase of the 400 dollar lift and a few tools that I didn't already have....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
Have to say I am impressed. You look like you have that well in hand for sure.

Not sure I would have the want to do that although if it happens I wold need to to keep riding and owning the bike. I surely could not afford the shop fees.

So is there anything else that need doing while you are in that deeps for preventive maintenance?

This is to replace a failed alternator correct?

Thank you for sharing and look forward to your progress reports.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A big, very big ditto on being impressed!!! :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Have to say I am impressed. You look like you have that well in hand for sure.

Not sure I would have the want to do that although if it happens I wold need to to keep riding and owning the bike. I surely could not afford the shop fees.

So is there anything else that need doing while you are in that deeps for preventive maintenance?

This is to replace a failed alternator correct?

Thank you for sharing and look forward to your progress reports.

Yes this is due to the alternator failing...thanks for your vote of confidence...as far as other maintenance to check while in that deep...I honestly don't know other than I will just make sure everything is clean and looks correct...shade tree method here...if I count my time worth anything it's a loser for sure especially with added tools to purchase...but I will atleast know that the job was done the best I can...and no worries of a shop mechanic having a bad day or being interrupted maybe forgetting something...not saying that would happen...but in my life I have always been a do it my self type guy....I mentioned in a earlier post that I had sent bmw customer service an email about this and all I got was a survey back..lol they won't like my answers...it would have been nice if they would have actually replied....next will be to get the gearbox cover off and hopefully it's a simple process to get the stator out...get my parts on order and put her back together...I am missing out on some good winter riding...ugh

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
The thought of having to do this makes me ill, and I am quite mechanically inclined. I built a 78 CJ7 from scratch (took over 5 years start to finish) and rebuilt the transmission and t-case in my basement over the winter. But that was 15 years ago and I was a bit more ambitious and there was no technology involved. Good luck with this.

·
Cat Herder
1,560 Posts
And please any tips and advise on this will be appreciated...thanks

My friend and I just did this to his 2014RT... Bad stator at 75k... Now that you did the hard part, take the engine to a dealer if one is close by and have them take the front and back off because you have to pull the clutch out of the front to get the back off...and it is a PITA... You also need an engine stop so the motor won't turn while you have the clutch out. The dealer did the entire job in 2 hours. Would have taken us forever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the middle of removing the engine on my bike due to alternator failing...one interesting thing I discovered was the oil level sensor is a simple float device...seems a little low tech for our bikes....the most frustrating thing is those darn plugs for the electric connections...they all seem different and for me it's really been a challenge figuring out the combination to get them to release...always seems like I am going to break them...I have searched for a good description or video to help but no luck...I did download a 750 page shop manual..but not very helpful in that department...very anxious to get this done and back on the road....wow what a mess....very big job...I was pleased to find my valve clearances still within tolerance at 93 thousand miles...wish me luck putting all back together...ugh
Hi, I am about to do the same to my 2015 Rt. What special tools do you have to buy..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts