BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't posted in a long time but was just wondering.

Can the LT motor be completely rebuilt? You know bore job etc etc.

I have had a 99 forever with only 85K on it but was still wondering. Maybe a complete engine swap with an 09 BUT then I give up my Rhinewest chip and exhaust...

Later

Steve A

·
Registered
4,356 Posts

I have had a 99 forever with only 85K on it but was still wondering. Maybe a complete engine swap with an 09 BUT then I give up my Rhinewest chip and exhaust...

Later

Steve A
The BMW Brick engines have a Nikasil plating on the cylinders so a bore job is out. If the coating is damaged, then the block would need to be replaced or a factory replate if that is even possible. They can be rebuilt as long as the cylinders are in good shape. Hopefully not necessary at only 85K

What is the reason you are considering a rebuild? More power? It is after all, a touring bike with sport capabilities. Keep the engine RPM's up if you are not.

Reactions: Patric

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
85 K is just broken in. Unless the cylinder walls are scored (broken rings will do this) you can just replace the rings if you are down on compression. The cylinder walls do not wear. I have seen several LTs go 350 K +with nothing done to the internals. You run the risk of broken ring lands on the pistons if you have not been running premium fuel since the LT has no knock sensor.

Reactions: Patric

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
85 K is just broken in.
Hear, Hear. I've just crossed 80K and have been thinking, "Man, this thing feels the best it has ever felt!"

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hear, Hear. I've just crossed 80K and have been thinking, "Man, this thing feels the best it has ever felt!"
Well to all I was just wondering since I am old and do such things LOL

Yes she has been with me for a very long time but again only 85K miles. I would note that the oil can get dirty at 3 or 4K miles which would indicate a lot more blow by then when she was a young pup and king of the hill etc O you know what I mean.

I think this is the last bike I will ever own and have been riding since I was 15 and I am 65 now!

I have a tendency to rebuild things to better then new condition and although I try and keep this bike in good shape I could throw the following at her:

Wilbers, Paint, Up-graded Laser Jammer, Newer Radio system, O can I finally put that turbo on her (LOL) I know someone around here will remember those Ideas LOL

Later All

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Hi Steve,

Long time, no hear! I have rebuilt 4 engines now. If you have any specific questions just ping me.

Ernie
Milwaukie, OR

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Steve,

Long time, no hear! I have rebuilt 4 engines now. If you have any specific questions just ping me.

Ernie
Milwaukie, OR
Hey Ernie:

What I have heard is that the only thing you can do is replace the sleeves which essentially gives you stock again. No over boring and other fancy stuff like on a Small Block Chevy LOL.

I don't actually know if I will ever need to rebuild this machine. It still rides the same way it did 16 years ago but in retirement I might be too frugal to purchase some Wilbers or Ohlins. I might be talked into some progressive springs though??? LOL

I hope things are well on your end.

Later Steve

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
I would note that the oil can get dirty at 3 or 4K miles which would indicate a lot more blow by then when she was a young pup and king of the hill etc O you know what I mean.
You can replace the rings - no problem but my 05 has always had the oil go black right after the oil change as there is a certain amount you cannot drain and it mixes right in. I have had her for all of her 98 K miles and it does not seem any different from new on the oil color.

Reactions: stevea2980

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey Ernie:

What I have heard is that the only thing you can do is replace the sleeves which essentially gives you stock again. No over boring and other fancy stuff like on a Small Block Chevy LOL.

I don't actually know if I will ever need to rebuild this machine. It still rides the same way it did 16 years ago but in retirement I might be too frugal to purchase some Wilbers or Ohlins. I might be talked into some progressive springs though??? LOL

I hope things are well on your end.

Later Steve
Note that I have purchased some Wilbers but I don't have them installed yet! Looking forward to it. The rear shock was used with a very stiff spring I am told and the front is new but I am still waiting for it.

We shall see, I cant wait! LOL

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
...Can the LT motor be completely rebuilt?...
If I were you, I wouldn't fix what isn't broken. :)
I had an oil consumption issue, not really serious, but I was having to add oil several times between lube changes.

It turned out to be worn valve seals, but I did a top end rebuild and put in new piston rings while I was in there. The bike now runs like new and doesn't need oil added between changes.

Here's the thread if you're interested in reading:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/116985-cylinder-head-piston-removal.html

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts

Later

Steve A
Sure. It is only a matter of money. However, when you see the cost of removing and replating Nikasil, you will decide against it.
:smile:

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There are no sleeves in the LT engine. The bore is a thin NikaSil coating on the aluminum, just about wear proof. This engine wears very slowly, 250,000 plus miles is normal for it.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Hey All;

All you guys are correct, I rebuilt mine at 318,000. the cylinders still had the hash marks.( i can post pics if you like) no ring damage or land damage. I only did it because of increased oil usage that Im pretty sure was the valve seals. runs great now. Didn't run bad before, just didn't care for the oil usage. about 1-1.5 qt every 10,000.
ride it like you stole it and enjoy the views.

Zeke

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Hey All;

All you guys are correct, I rebuilt mine at 318,000. the cylinders still had the hash marks.( i can post pics if you like) no ring damage or land damage. I only did it because of increased oil usage that Im pretty sure was the valve seals. runs great now. Didn't run bad before, just didn't care for the oil usage. about 1-1.5 qt every 10,000.
ride it like you stole it and enjoy the views.

Zeke
Mine has used that much since it was new. I generally change oil every 5-6,000 miles and generally add at least half a quart during that time and it is down 1/4 to 1/2 a quart again by change time.

I would be interested to see a picture or two. Given the issues my bike has had thus far with FD, transmission seals, clutch, etc., in only 54,000 miles, I can't imagine I will persist to 300,000 miles (or are you talking kilometers?). I don't think I have the perseverance to put up with an LT for that long!

Reactions: bmwcoolk1200
1 - 15 of 15 Posts