BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whatever you wish to call them; engine protection bars, head protection/covers, "crash" bars, etc., what are you looking for in this type of
RT add on??
IMHO many of the bar systems are a tad ugly. I feel that they detract from the look and styling of the bike. Although that could be said for a number of different brands of motorcycles. Having ridden HDs for many years, the engine guard bars can come in handy, especially in very slow tight maneuvers. None of us plan on dropping our motors, but unfortunately it does happen.

Here are the contenders:
1. BMW OEM Protection "Covers": A combination of plastic and light metal.
2. Ztechnik: Stainless Steel Engine Bars that are not as large and bulky looking as the next two contenders. (not yet available as of 032115)
3. Wunderlich Engine Protection Bars: Painted or chrome steel full size bars.
4. Ilium Works Engine Protection Bars: Full size steel bars.
5. Machineartmoto Head Protection: Specialized plastic cover designed to protect the valve cover.

Some bars need to be removed or loosened for maintenance others claim they do not have to be removed. Refer to their websites for their claims.

Although the new RT feels as though the center of gravity (CG) is much lower than earlier version RTs (in comparison to my 2002 RTP there is no comparison-the new RT is easier to balance).

One advantage of the "bar" style protection is that other accessories can be added to the bars such as, highway pegs, floorboards, or aftermarket lighting.

If anyone knows of any other contenders please add them to this thread.

Your opinions and comments on what has worked for you is welcome.
Thanks to an additional thread for information used for this one.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the Machineartmoto. They are very well made and were easy to install. Hopefully I wont test them anytime soon but I have dropped an RT with the BMW plastic guards and they worked well in the tip over. These are nicer and more substantial.

Best of luck to you what ever you choose.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have the Wunderlich engine guards and you will have to loosen the left side for maintenance. If you are planning on getting some sort of highway peg there are not any good/clean solutions that looks nice. If I had to do it over I would have bought the Illiumworks engine guards because their highway pegs are the best. If you are not interested in highway pegs, your options open up...

·
Registered
175 Posts
The perfect length for me was on the horizontal bar near the back of the valve cover. About 2/3s back. The bar is round there. I have a 30" inseam.
Thanks for the report. How much space is there between the peg mounts and the valve covers when mounted at the rear? The Wunderlich bars are not very strong due to the tubes being flattened in certain areas. I wonder if the bars would bend during a drop, pushing the foot peg mounts into the valve cover?

·
Registered
331 Posts
They are close to the valve covers. I dropped the bike on a slippery street in Leadville, CO in October and they held up well. long drop and fully loaded with luggage. They seem well braced.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the report. How much space is there between the peg mounts and the valve covers when mounted at the rear? The Wunderlich bars are not very strong due to the tubes being flattened in certain areas. I wonder if the bars would bend during a drop, pushing the foot peg mounts into the valve cover?
Wunderlich has a procedure to only have to loosen the left engine guard to do valve maintenance as opposed to complete removal. With highway pegs located in the horizontal bar, I suspect you will have to do a complete removal of the engine guard to get the proper clearance to remove the valve cover.

·
Registered
331 Posts
12000 next week. I had planned to remove the bars. I have it several times, doesn't take too long. I may remove the pegs and loosen the bar. Depends on the weather and my mood.

·
Registered
129 Posts
The perfect length for me was on the horizontal bar near the back of the valve cover. About 2/3s back. The bar is round there. I have a 30" inseam.
bdfbeemer, I'd love to see a Pic of that. I have the Wunderlich Bars and my Ilium "Versatile Highway Pegs" arrived recently and are awaiting installation after vacation.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.