BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worldmotop Engine Guard, From Amazon,just wondering if anyone has installed these engine protection bars, I have a new to me, 2010 R1200RT low version.
Thaks

·
Registered
232 Posts
They look cheap, not shure how much they would protect. Then again, it al depends!
I have a set of Heed that am happy with.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
They look cheap, not shure how much they would protect. Then again, it al depends!
I have a set of Heed that am happy with.
Well, I had one tumble at about 3 MPH while doing parking lot cornering drills, with these BAIONE Wunderlich clone bars mounted. The front bars held up fine. The rear, right side bar bent backwards. Since I was doing the low speed stuff, I came without my side cases. If the side cases had been on, there's no doubt the rear right bar would have impacted the case. What kind of damage it would of done, who knows? It was easily bent back, as the problem was in the mounting plate. Again, as far as I have been able to ascertain, these are identical clones to the Wunderlich design, if not the fabrication. I don't believe the materials failed, though the Heed bars are clearly more robust (i.e. based on the side by side review I posted earlier review I posted earlier, in response to an earlier inquiry by Mick-F). I posted links to my review there as well, Heed versus Wunderlich (i.e. the BAIONE clone set of bars).

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ordered the BAIONE Wunderlich clone bars and tried to fit them. The bottom frame, that bolts to the motor did to fit. The welded on tabs were too close.. The Heed bars look good, probably go with them. My budget is a bit limited right now, I may try to find a used set. Rode thru Idaho a few years ago, beautiful area.

Thanks

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
I ordered the BAIONE Wunderlich clone bars and tried to fit them. The bottom frame, that bolts to the motor did to fit. The welded on tabs were too close.. The Heed bars look good, probably go with them. My budget is a bit limited right now, I may try to find a used set. Rode thru Idaho a few years ago, beautiful area.

Thanks
I went and looked up the bars on Wunderlich's web site, and they have the same part numbers for bars for both a hexhead (2005-2009) and camhead (2010-2013) bikes. If they are that far off, I'm guessing that either you ordered the Wethead bars (2014-2018), or they sent you the wrong set of bars. (That seems unlikely, since the bars you need to have that square bracket mounted on the bottom of the engine, and the Wethead's mount directly to the engine on side mount points.) Are you sure you haven't got the bracket sideways, backwards, upside down, etc.?

The link you posted should have gotten you the product you need. I'd go back to Worldmotop and ask them about the fitment. They were very good in responding to correspondence from me.

FYI, here's the installation video. (If you look further on that site, you should also find a set of written install directions).

Sorry that it didn't work out for you.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The set of crash bars I ordered were the ones for my RT. The bottom frame that bolts to the bottom of the motor, did not fit. Specifically the welded on tabs were too close together. Not possible to mount, even upside down. I did watch the video before I started, not a difficult accessory to install.
I ordered the HEED bars directly, $ 208. 00 including shipping. 211 euros, good exchange rate with the dollar right now.
Thanks

Reactions: Scott9999

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
The set of crash bars I ordered were the ones for my RT. The bottom frame that bolts to the bottom of the motor, did not fit. Specifically the welded on tabs were too close together. Not possible to mount, even upside down. I did watch the video before I started, not a difficult accessory to install.
I ordered the HEED bars directly, $ 208. 00 including shipping. 211 euros, good exchange rate with the dollar right now.
Thanks
Good decision. I think you'll be happy with 'em, but please post your experience. I'm happy with what I have installed on the bike now, but having been impressed with their rear bars, I might get the Heed's anyhow, particularly at that price.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am East Coast US, the HEED bars are being shipped from Poland.I will post how long it takes to get them then install them.

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
I am East Coast US, the HEED bars are being shipped from Poland.I will post how long it takes to get them then install them.
Lol, I'll bet ya it's 5 days delivery, at least that's what it took to Idaho. Or, maybe it was 4 days. Anyhow, it was shipped AND received lightening fast. (Of course, the war going on over there in their backyard, may be playing havoc on their logistics now.)

Oh, and ... install pictures are good! 😁👍🍻

·
Premium Member
6,512 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I ordered the HEED bars on the 24th, they left Poland on the 25th. not here yet. Probably coming by cargo ship?
Anyway, record warm weather here in the Northeast to ride!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've had these clone engines and rear bars fitted to my 2007 Rt since last December. I found them well made and strong. They have served their job twice. !st i dropped the bike fully loaded. Result. Only a scratch to the front bars. 2st a low speed high siders. Again a couple of scratches on the front and rear bars. Not a mark to the panniers or fairing. I ordered mine from Aliexspress. Sell put the value down as £19.99, so i didn't have to pay import duties

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
Well I ordered the HEED bars on the 24th, they left Poland on the 25th. not here yet. Probably coming by cargo ship?
Anyway, record warm weather here in the Northeast to ride!
Sorry to hear that Mick. 😳🤦‍♂️😕

Mine were in Northern Idaho within 5 days, but that was back in April, when the European war was just getting started. I'm sure that, plus the energy crisis that's hit Europe, has something to do with shipping delays. Ordered it April 11th, delivered April 15th via UPS Worldwide Saver, from "Z.P.H HEED JUSTYNA TOKARZ".

Hope yours get there soon. On the "bright side", you're still riding, whereas we just had our first snowfall Friday morning, and a 35-75 MPH windstorm last night. I think N. Idaho's trying to whisper something gently into my ear, about laying the bike up for winter. It's been windy and in the low 40'sF for the past week or so, anyhow. Every time I stuck my nose out to check, maybe go for a ride, my nose told me that I was crazy. I know guys around the country ride almost 12 months a year in four season climates, but me, I just can't do that. Ice is my drop-dead decision point, but it's just no fun with dark, threatening skies, wind, and low temps. I'm a California lightweight at heart. 🙄😖 Just no excuse ....

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The USPS has my HEED crash bars in NYC, processing thru US Customs. Should get here this week, ( I hope)

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
The USPS has my HEED crash bars in NYC, processing thru US Customs. Should get here this week, ( I hope)
Yeah, something different happened with your shipping. Mine didn't go via USPS, and it didn't sit in customs, either. I guess the moral of the story for anyone else buying from Heed is to make certain they ship UPS Worldwide Saver.

Regrets.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yeah, something different happened with your shipping. Mine didn't go via USPS, and it didn't sit in customs, either. I guess the moral of the story for anyone else buying from Heed is to make certain they ship UPS Worldwide Saver.

Regrets.
My experience with UPS is not so great. They charge extra as brokerage fee when other shipping companies do not, for same value.
But that is in Canada. Don't remember what i got the Heed bars thru, but they came fast and extremely well packaged.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

Regrets.
I ordered a part from a Canadian company. They shipped UPS. There are no customs duty for the part I ordered. UPS made themselves a self proclaimed broker and added a broker fee to my shipment. I argued and explained to them there is no customs fee from Canada to the USA on this part. They said they had the right to act as a broker and charge a fee. So I had to pay or pay for return shipping and another UPS fee crossing back to Canada. Never again. I will never order anything from Canada again. I don't know if FedEx or the usps charges a fee. Its been several years know.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
WTF, what a rip off. My HEED baes ar in the US, in the USPS system. I will post when I get them. Crazy route

• Wow

·
Registered
2018 R1200RT
501 Posts
WTF, what a rip off. My HEED baes ar in the US, in the USPS system. I will post when I get them. Crazy route
Definitely complain to HEED. Tell them that other riders in the USA have recommended their product, only to find out now, that they've decided on an ~~~ unconventional ~~~ shipping mode that is requiring a month to get them. They may not understand the difference in the routing they chose, or perhaps it's just the shipping company(s) that screwed up. I'd definitely let them now that others received the product in FIVE DAYS. Why is your service different?

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am pretty sure they will be delivered next week, it's a good story, stay tuned.

• Wow
1 - 20 of 21 Posts