BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new here and new to BMW. Just bought an "08" LT and notice that when going up thru the gears, i can hear a metallic sound, a bit like the timing may be advanced or retarded or the wrong fuel is in there. It goes when in top gear above about 60mph. Met a guy with one last night and he said his does it and it's because they are run very lean. It is under warranty, but just thought you'd probably have some ideas. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Put some premium in it and see if it goes away.. She likes the good stuff...

The LT engine is a noisy little bugger...injectors, timing chain, lots of things make noise..

The LT runs rich, not lean...When you open the throttle WFO you should see some black smoke from the tailpipe..."Ring" the header with a rubber hammer.. You may have a broken stud or two... Or a crack...

John

·
Registered
676 Posts
Turn up the stereo and "ride it like you stoled it!" :dance:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. Did put in higher octaine fuel today. Will report back. I think the biggest problem I'm gonna have is finding a dealer i can trust. Got the technician from a BMW dealer test ride it today to see if he could hear it - he couldn't but came back telling me it had an oil leak and the rear bearing needed adjusting - neither of which was true......so there's another dealer i will now try. So far I'm not impressed!

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
If by 'rear bearing' he is referring to the final drive bearing he might be on to something. The oil leak should be visible if it has one. Did he show you the leak?

Just thought of something. Maybe he has noticed a small leak in the final drive seal. Which would likely mean the FD bearing might be failing.

You need to find out if this is what he is referring to before you find yourself parked along side the road waiting for a truck to get you home.

Loren

treecol said:
Thanks. Did put in higher octaine fuel today. Will report back. I think the biggest problem I'm gonna have is finding a dealer i can trust. Got the technician from a BMW dealer test ride it today to see if he could hear it - he couldn't but came back telling me it had an oil leak and the rear bearing needed adjusting - neither of which was true......so there's another dealer i will now try. So far I'm not impressed!

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,158 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Just thought of something. Maybe he has noticed a small leak in the final drive seal. Which would likely mean the FD bearing might be failing.

Loren
Or maybe just the seals as I experienced while at CCR in SD last year. The bearing did not fail and the dealer just replaced the seals.

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
treecol said:
Hi, I'm new here and new to BMW. Just bought an "08" LT and notice that when going up thru the gears, i can hear a metallic sound, a bit like the timing may be advanced or retarded or the wrong fuel is in there. It goes when in top gear above about 60mph. Met a guy with one last night and he said his does it and it's because they are run very lean. It is under warranty, but just thought you'd probably have some ideas. Thanks in advance.
It you upshift too soon at too low of rpm and apply heavy throttle it will rattle like a snake. Keep the RPMs up above 3500. LT really likes 5k. Try hitting the throttle at 4500 and see how fast and smooth you get to 6000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Michael's advice is sound. I'm used to my Magna shifting smoothly at low RPMs and so it's an adjustment for me to go higher, especially in traffic. Thanks to the advice on this forum, the results are evident.

Good luck with that reputable dealer thing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The rear bearing isn't final drive!! I found another dealer who said the oil is from a rocker cover gasket, which isn't covered by warrenty. He said it was so minor that it'd wait till it's next big service. I'm gonna clean all the oil off as I'm thinking this isn't fresh oil.
Thanks for the advice re the revs. I'm used to low revving v-twins and perhaps I'm being too cautious as if I give it more revs, it feels like I'm thrashing it. But I will give it a go and report back. So should I be riding it more like a sports bike than my old v-twins?

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Yup! More like the sport bike than the V-twin! Huge difference in performance. Kind of puts the Yee Haw into the ride!

Loren

treecol said:
The rear bearing isn't final drive!! I found another dealer who said the oil is from a rocker cover gasket, which isn't covered by warrenty. He said it was so minor that it'd wait till it's next big service. I'm gonna clean all the oil off as I'm thinking this isn't fresh oil.
Thanks for the advice re the revs. I'm used to low revving v-twins and perhaps I'm being too cautious as if I give it more revs, it feels like I'm thrashing it. But I will give it a go and report back. So should I be riding it more like a sports bike than my old v-twins?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,940 Posts
If you have oil leaking from the rocker cover gasket there is only two things that cause that. 1. Missing the tightening of the bolt in behind the spark plug cover. 2. Not enough sealant applied to the half moons and the joint where the timing cover meets the head. Both are a direct result of improper reinstallation following a 12K valve check. Easy enough to fix. Just don't over tighten the bolts as they bottom out by design and the rubber under the heads does the sealing. Very easy to strip out so just "snug "them up (9Nm).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So. no difference to the pinking no matter how I ride. Read lots about this issue and BMW engines. The local dealer says all BMW's do it. However BMW say on a fault report for R1100's, that an engine shouldn't do it. It can lead to serious damage. Have tried the FI reset, still no difference. I think the problem will be getting BMW to fix under warrenty. If any of you have any links to any more info on this, I'd really appreciate it, so I can give it to the dealer to reinforce my case. I also spoke to an ex- BMW technician who works for himself now. He also says they should not pink. So watch this space!

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
mwnahas said:
It you upshift too soon at too low of rpm and apply heavy throttle it will rattle like a snake. Keep the RPMs up above 3500. LT really likes 5k. Try hitting the throttle at 4500 and see how fast and smooth you get to 6000 rpm.
I'm just correcting a couple of typos you made above. I know you really meant 6,000 rather than 4,500 and 8,000 rather than 6,000. I realize this is an easy mistake to make! :rotf:

·
Premium Member
7,546 Posts
johnhunter44 said:
OK, I'm the dummy here. Is he talking about the engine pinging? What does pinking mean?
I assumed it was just a typo originally, but since it was repeated in a recent message, I now believe the OP doesn't know that the term is pinging rather than pinking.

If my LT ever turns pink, it is outta here!!!

·
Registered
4,241 Posts
Voyager said:
I'm just correcting a couple of typos you made above. I know you really meant 6,000 rather than 4,500 and 8,000 rather than 6,000. I realize this is an easy mistake to make! :rotf:
Well, I was trying to keep him 'kind of' legal. :rotf:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts