BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I am taking out the transmission to rebuild it, and I am having an issue removing the rear engine/transmission bolt. I have the nut off the bolt but I'm trying to back the bolt out and the bolt flange seems to be larger than the frame hole (pictured) so I cant seem to get it out. I've seen the videos online, and checked the manual but neither mention this bolt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Trans Bolt.JPG

Edit: The photo is for reference, the bike is in pieces

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
should come out easy, maybe you have to much weight on the bolt try jacking the gearbox up, ( or down) when I did mine I pushed the bolt through with my finger with the allen key inserted in the head just pulled it out.
Linton

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
Hello all, I am taking out the transmission to rebuild it, and I am having an issue removing the rear engine/transmission bolt. I have the nut off the bolt but I'm trying to back the bolt out and the bolt flange seems to be larger than the frame hole (pictured) so I cant seem to get it out. I've seen the videos online, and checked the manual but neither mention this bolt. Any help would be greatly appreciated. View attachment 60850

Edit: The photo is for reference, the bike is in pieces
Welcome to the forum, glad you found us.

Please take a moment to fill out your profile, at least your city/state. You might have a member near you, and you never know when an extra set of experienced eyes or hand can come in handy.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Good advice from all.

Yes, it should come out easily once you get the weight off of it. More of a pain to get the nut off the other side (18 mm).

Yes, fill out your profile, a good chance you have a tech savvy LT owner not far from you who might ride over and help or offer advice for the cost of a cool drink.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try that again, maybe I was just missing something I was getting frustrated after working on the bike all day and decided to call it quits. As far as my profile I show it to have my info, not sure why it's not public, I'm in Fort Worth Texas

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,175 Posts
Do you have a jack under the transmission to take the weight off and release the pressure?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok got the bolt out, just an optical illusion I suppose. Transmission is out, next step is replacing the input shaft bearing, the input shaft has about 1/16" of thrust play... Looking forward to getting this thing back together, thanks for your help!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ok got the bolt out, just an optical illusion I suppose. Transmission is out, next step is replacing the input shaft bearing, the input shaft has about 1/16" of thrust play... Looking forward to getting this thing back together, thanks for your help!
Is that a lot of play?
What are the factory specs?

Thanks...Randy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the transmission apart tonight, the input shaft bearing was in pieces, all of the ball bearings fell out and showed a lot of dimpling, the inner and outer races were worn to the point that pieces were starting to chip out, looked very similar to the instructional video on replacing the input shaft bearing. Had to order the new bearings and seals to rebuild the transmission tonight, I'm taking up the whole garage and I'm in my wife's parking spot

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,259 Posts
That front bearing seems to be the weak link in an otherwise bullet proof transmission. I have replaced 4 so far (not my bike though).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts