BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal. The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
As I said, I'm no mechanic, now I'm leery about taking the bike out too far away from home. Any ideas what may be going on ? This is the first time I've had this type of issue.
Thanks again.....

·
Registered
493 Posts
Could be that the hoses in the tank are leaking. Or a fuel pump issue.
That's where I'd start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MBevans

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mondrage has the right idea. Sudden poor performance could be fuel related as in the internal rubber lines have sprung a leak or if it i actually missing, possibly the plug wires may be old and arcing to ground causing a miss.

It is best to check with less than a full tank of gas as that will expose the fuel lines allowing a better visual diagnosis of squirting fuel. If one of the rubber lines inside the tank has ruptured, you can normally see this through the fill hole. There is normally some slight motion of the fuel when the ignition is turned on as it primes and circulates through the regulator. The excess is returned to the tank at the bottom but a split hose will cause a more robust swirling at the top. Lower fuel than full will allow you to see this better.

The LT has no diagnostic capability for a properly running fuel pump so only hooking up an external gauge can see if it is maintaining the normal ~50 PSI.

·
Premium Member
7,614 Posts
To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal.
The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
As I said, I'm no mechanic, now I'm leery about taking the bike out too far away from home. Any ideas what may be going on ? This is the first time I've had this type of issue.
Thanks again.....
If you have had the bike a long time and ridden multiple tanks of gas with no issue, then suspecting the last fill-up is not unreasonable. A few questions:
1. Have you bought fuel at this chevron station before?
2. Does the fuel contain ethanol? If not, I would add a can of "dry gas" to your tank in case you got some water with your fill-up.
3. Is the bike emitting black smoke? A rich condition will cause this if bad enough.
4. If you remove your gas cap and turn the key on, do you see swirling of the gas when the pump is doing its priming routine?

·
Registered
183 Posts
To start with, I'm no mechanic and my wife will only let me use a hammer around the house. That said, I have a 2000 K1200LT. The other day I gassed up the bike at a Chevron (premium gas), the bike worked fine for about 45 min. The bike then started hesitating when accelerating, like someone turned the choke on. I had to keep the engine revved up to 2000 rpm at stop lights (being afraid it would die). I limped the bike home. I turned the bike off and let it sit for a couple of minutes. I started it up and took a short drive around the neighborhood. For a few minutes the bike ran like the choke was stuck on, then the bike started running like normal. The next day I took the bike out, and it seemed to be running OK. I came up to a stop light and it died. I popped the clutch and it started right up. I stopped at several other stop lights, and the bike idled fine.
Thanks again.....
Another thing to check is temperature. If it is above 80-85°F you may be experiencing the hesitation caused by the Motronic map. You can read about that here: BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: Performance Improvements

I'm less inclined to think this is the problem since you didn't mention having this issue before. I'd lean toward a ruptured fuel line in the tank as the culprit. If it's the fuel line it's a fairly easy fix. Your choice on buying the stock lines for ~$80, order them from BBY (cheaper and may last longer) or buy the correct hose and a uni-coil from an autoparts store.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I would also like to add: check the battery connections. I had the same issues, spent tons of money, only to find out one of the battery connections was loose.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Another thing to check is temperature. If it is above 80-85°F you may be experiencing the hesitation caused by the Motronic map. You can read about that here: BMW Luxury Touring Community - Site FAQ: Performance Improvements

I'm less inclined to think this is the problem since you didn't mention having this issue before. I'd lean toward a ruptured fuel line in the tank as the culprit. If it's the fuel line it's a fairly easy fix. Your choice on buying the stock lines for ~$80, order them from BBY (cheaper and may last longer) or buy the correct hose and a uni-coil from an autoparts store.
I don't think haawg can fix it with his hammer... >:)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Loosen the gas cap and see how it runs. May have a clogged charcoal canister preventing the tank from venting.

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
This bike has a paper fuel filter. If you did get some water, it could have caused what is going on and cleared as the filter finally started passing fuel better, water clogs paper filters really well. If you have not changed that filter in the past 30K miles, now is the time to do it. Along with the rubber hoses inside the tank if they are original. Many of the suggestions above are related but kind of more complicated. I try the simplest things first. Changing the filter is not really simple but basic. I like the part about the charcoal vapor recover device. Over filling and flushing fuel into it causes what happened to you also. I recommend they be removed, often called a canisterectomy.
Clymer sells a service manual for your bike, a good source of information on how to do stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Like John said, when it starts running poorly just loosen the fuel cap. If that resolves it, you have a clogged charcoal canister likely from over-filling it or an insect nest in the canister vent tube under the right side case. If it's from over-filling it should resolve itself. When fueling only fill to the hole at the bottom of the threads.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Go to the. Bmw motorrad club of northern Illinois. Go to menu. Then service videos. Click on K bikes. There you will find all the diy videos. Just watch them over and over. They are a huge help. Give you confidence to do repairs yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of the advise. I looked into the fuel tank and turned the key on, there was just a small amount of gas surface disturbance that lasted about 2 seconds, that was it. The bike had a canisterectomy by the prior owner.
I thought about the temp issue that Storm1 mentioned. It's been very hot here. I checked the Illinois videos and removed the air box sensor. I didn't even need to use my hammer. I took the bike out around the neighborhood, and it ran fine. It was 100 degrees during the ride. I'll take it on a longer ride within the next few days. I have my fingers crossed.....
Again thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
170 Posts
the chances of it being a ruptured fuel hose are pretty slim - as it would rupture on the pressure side and the motor would not run.
even a slight pin hole the fuel will dump against the fuel pressure reg. also a leak will never heal itself enuff to run
had a lot of bad/contaminated fuel- 8 of us all filled at the same station but different pumps and 1 of the fellows got bad fuel, towed it home and drained the tank and been running ever since

1 - 13 of 13 Posts