BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. I live in the desert and am always looking for ways to better cool my ride. When I was still spending money on my Nomad, I swapped out the factory coolant with Engine Ice. The bike ran quite a bit cooler, and the fan cycled far less often.
I'm considering doing the same with my new-to-me K1200LT. Any thoughts? Has anyone else done this?

Thanks

John Q

1966 BSA Lighting (Sold)
1972 BSA Lightning (Sold)
1977 Honda CB 750F (Couldn't get rid of it fast enough)
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (Totaled!)
2004 Kawasaki Vulcan Nomad (Mothballs)

·
Registered
795 Posts
I am eagerly awaiting the thoughts on this topic, I often wondered if this stuff actually is worth the money. Being a cheapskate I opted for Prestone extended life, but with the temp on m ride home today expected to be 108 and getting warmer, cooling performance is king. :corn:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Copperstate, you need to move someplace that is a whole lot cooler. I lived in Phoenix for 7 years and it is WAAAAAAAY to hot for me. Southwest Washington is a lot nicer weather wise.

Loren

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Copperstate - I'm in Surprise! Very cool---er--not so much this time of year I guess. I thought Engine Ice was well worth it for my No-mad, but as we all know - often these things do not translate well to other bikes. My main concern is any damage, but in my experience, the stuff works as advertised.

John Q

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I'm no expert on this but you may want to compare the characteristics of propylene glycol vs. the standard ethylene glycol. I think the propylene base is more of a "permanent" solution and is less corrosive than the ethylene based solutions when not diluted down with water.

Here's one you could look at. I have not used it.
http://www.sierraantifreeze.com/tech.html

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The fans seem to work just fine on LTs that have turned 300K miles.

Bob

·
Registered
149 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Copperstate, you need to move someplace that is a whole lot cooler. I lived in Phoenix for 7 years and it is WAAAAAAAY to hot for me. Southwest Washington is a lot nicer weather wise.

Loren

10-4 on that, even a lot cooler than central Wa.
As to the ICE, quite a few of the Valkyrie guys use it and swear by it...I've spent all my money fixing my beemer, so don't have any experience with it, myself.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've used it in my VTX and it works exceptionally well. The bike does not have a temp gauge but I know the fan doesn't come on as much versus running Prestone 50/50 so my take is it does run just a little cooler (which is a claim they make). I checked with them about whether it will work in the LT based on the specs BMW has, and they responded yes no problem - meets all requirements. So I have put it in the K1200LT, but sadly have not been running it yet as I'm into other projects on that bike before I get to try it out.

I also like the fact that it's no slippery if it leaks, meaning no sliding if for some reason it dumps on you. Prestone is slippery and is typically not allowed to be used on race tracks for this reason.

Hope this helps - I like it enough to use it.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I run it in my KTM 950 and 450 and they seem to run cooler and it has extended the water pump seal issues they have. When i do the next coolant flush and change in the LT I will change it also. You have to be very careful to flush the system and not to dilute it or mix anything with it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
dmatson said:
I run it in my KTM 950 and 450 and they seem to run cooler and it has extended the water pump seal issues they have. When i do the next coolant flush and change in the LT I will change it also. You have to be very careful to flush the system and not to dilute it or mix anything with it.

EXCELLENT point..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts