BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did the 12K maintenance awhile back. Everything went back together pretty good with no leftover parts. Since then I have noticed the bike is a hot ride.The temp gauge rides a tad less than the middle going down the road. Like it had before. The temp gauge gets up to ride 3/4 or more close to red on a long stop light.

Even when gauge is down below the middle I noticed a lot of engine heat on my right leg and some on my left. The black vinyl on both sides is pretty darn warm. At first I thought this was attributable to the hot summer. Last few days I have ridden in 75 degree weather and engine heat is unacceptable even for a short ride.

What did I do to screw up my bike?

·
Registered
876 Posts
If you changed the engine coolant during the service, it is opossible that you didn't get the cooling system full during the refilling process. This happened to me, I needed to add another 250 mls (almost 1/2 pint for you imperial guys). You can top off the system by undoing the radiator cap if you have a triple jointed wrist, then fill to the brim using a tube and large syringe. My symptoms were exactly as you explained. The cooling efficiency between completely full and partially full is quite dramatic, that's why these systems run an expansion tank, to ensure the system is always 100 % full. Make sure you get the radiator cap back on and locked off properly, some silicone lube on the rubber seal helps.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,073 Posts
I found that I had to loosen the camp on the upper hose between radiators and "burp" out the air as I added the last bit of coolant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts