BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2012 R1200RT. After a few days I noticed the yellow triangle warning along with the engine symbol come on when starting the bike and goes off in a few seconds. I don't recall seeing this the first few days, but being new I may not have noticed the warning. The dealer told me this is normal, but I'd like to hear from other owners as an engine warning is a critical according to the operator's manual.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Ok so here is the scoop: You turn the key on, red triangle on then off, amber triangle on then off, press start button and abs light flashes until you move 15 feet or so.

·
Registered
403 Posts
You turn the key on. You then wait for the light to say "set". Then you press the starter button.
At least that is the way my 2008 is supposed to be started, according to the book. Read your book to determine.
It is supposed to have an ignition on procedure or sequence, before you start it.
dc

·
Registered
955 Posts
+1

Actually, I wait until the "SET" lights go out. I use the time to tighten glove straps, latch my helmet, verify the garage door closes, etc.

Also allows the idle steppers to initialize, helping to ensure a smoother idle.

·
Registered
453 Posts
The bike has to go through the start-up procedure. Can I burn out a head lamp? Check for all the other options ABS, Anti-slip etc.

If you wait until all the checks are completed then you can easily sart the bike without any issues. If you start her before all the checks are completed, then you get the warning.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
If you start her before all the checks are completed, then you get the warning.
These are words to live by for all of us.

IF… you go KEY ON, and hit the starter switch before it completes the start-up routine you will possibly induce all sorts of "funny" behaviors, then you will have to post a note here ...

I strongly suggest we form a habit of KEY ON and then do something every time… such as putting your gloves on… and this give the system a chance to get happy… before the Start Button.

Talking about 4-or 6 seconds here… no big deal but it helps a lot… including greatly reducing the blow out of headlight bulbs.

·
Registered
297 Posts
RTFM. :wave

·
Registered
453 Posts
These are words to live by for all of us.
… including greatly reducing the blow out of headlight bulbs.
At the rate the beast gets hungry, and devours a front bulb - I cannot afford to start the engine without all the checks being completed!

Frequently at least one of the bulbs goes "pop" :mad:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts