BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 K1200LT
10,178 miles
Canister not removed yet (waiting for 12K service)

This is one sweet running bike except for when I fill the gas tank. For the first 20 miles or so the engine will die when at a stop. After the 20 or so miles the rig idles fine with no issues until the next fill up.

There is a pretty significant vacuum released from the gas tank when the cap is removed for the fill up. Does this mean the canister is plugged or is it normal for there to be a vacuum on the tank?

If the vacuum is abnormal could I open the cap from time to time to allow air in and thus relieve the vacuum until the 12K service? My lift will be here on Tuesday which will make working on the bike MUCH more pleasant and safe.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Loren

·
Registered
528 Posts
Sounds like a plugged cannister. You could just leave the cap loose or just take the 15 minutes it takes to do a partial cannisterectomy. Remove pillion seat and unplug hose coming from the front of the bike and vent it to the atmosphere, then unplug the hose at the cannister that runs up the left side of the bike and plug it with something ( golf tee, bolt ) that should solve the problem.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Kind of what I thought. When I bought the bike the salesman filled the tank for me, which I really appreciated, but on the way home it pulled this little stunt when stuck in stop and go traffic. Scared the crap out of me. Didn't even have it home yet and it was acting up. The next day it ran like a champ. At nearly every fill up after that it would do the same thing. Run like crap when stopped at a traffic signal but then it would iron out part way through the tank.

The projected course of treatment at this time is laprascopic partial canisterectomy on Wednesday with complete extraction at the 12K service.

Thanks for the responses.

Loren

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
If you don't feel OK to remove the canister; disconnect the hoses and give them a good blowing out with an air hose..............I'd remove it myself............... :cool:

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Modern fuel tanks should always be at atmospheric pressure in the tank. You should never have a vacuum or pressure in the tank. You need to resolve this issue before it causes damage to the tank and/or fuel gauge. It sounds like you are over filling the tank and flooding the charcoal cannister. When you fuel up only fill the tank to the bottom of the fuel cap threads and that should take care of the problem.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Uh Jim, I actually bought the bike on the 18th of April and it just now has 10, 187 miles on it! When I bought it it only had 7,840 miles on the clock! Plus it came with a Hannigan Astro sidecar with disc brake and electric camber adjustment! $11, 750 seemed like a pretty fair price for the rig as there wasn't a mark on it. It was on consignment at a local dealer.

I have been absolutely thrilled with the bike but man alive, that sidecar is a man eater in town.

Out on the road it's a breeze as it tracks straight as an arrow once the camber on the sidecar is adjusted. Mileage drops to the low 30's from the upper 40's and it does take a little longer to get someplace as people find the sidecar fascinating and they ask a lot of questions.

Loren

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'm w/ Dean on this one. Stop trying to peg the fuel gauge. Fill her up to the bottom of the neck and stop. You get fuel in the charcoal cannister if you overfill. The excess fuel goes through and into the intake. Should only pull vapors from the carbon canister not liquid. I run into the same prob when I try get to much fuel in the tank.

·
Registered
36 Posts
An LT is fueled on the sidestand. This puts the fuel cap in the upmost position. With a sidecar the bike is fueled upright.I wonder if this makes a difference. The evap hose will be in a different position and may make it easier to flood.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
Since this is a sidecar bike it's possible the fuel could enter the evap system more easily since it would slosh around much more in a corner. Typically fuel is much cooler as it comes from the hose and releases fumes/positive pressure as it warms up to ambient air temperature while in the tank. I suppose this makes a trike much more likely to flood the cannister. In the short term the easy solution is probably to simply not fill the tank so full, perhaps allowing a 1/2 gallon for expansion and sloshing around on corners.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All is well! I performed a bi-lateral laprascopic canister bypass last night. Took all of 10 minutes and the bike runs as well as the day she rolled off the assembly line.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions. When a machine as sweet as the LT isn't running right it hurts and must be fixed ASAP.

I am forever in your debt.

Loren

1 - 14 of 14 Posts