BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
Does any one have any advice on my 2006 RT engine cutting out at random usually when it is wet at the end of a long run and occasionally when it is dry. engine justs dies when the clutch is pulled in and it restarts on engine push starter button or if the ignition is switched off then on again. i have noticed that it is at the end of a run with quarter tank or less and seems to be ok when tank is refuelled .
Any suggestions on what might be causing this . dealer as found no problem and said just reset ignition to reboot ecu. Not the best diagnostics in the world.

Reqards

Dean

·
Registered
2,811 Posts

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice. My dealer as agreed to replace the fuel pump controller under my extended warranty, even though the diagnostics show no problem with it.
will report back when changed.

Dean

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
So? how is the bike running? :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
The fuel pump controller is, like all electronics of its type, succeptible to intermittent failure due to circuits that appear "open" (no connection), under some damp and/or hot situations. When your dealer checked it, it was likely cool and dry - and checked OK.

I carry a spare with me at all times. You CAN and MAY get stuck in the middle of nowhere if it fails. It's a small, cheap part, with relatively easy field replacement. Think about doing a garage "replacement" before you head out - just in case you have to do one in the rain - or in the dark.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
My 2008 had a miss under load and when hot didn't idle so well.

I fixed this with new spark plugs, as the original main plugs (the horizontal ones) had been broken during factory installation. Clearly visible cracks in insulators. I wouldn't hammer those coils on.

I of course did the correct thing for a BMW and replaced the NGKs with the Bosch plugs listed in the owners manual.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Same person must have assembled my 2009 - one of the NGKs had a cracked insulator, although it didn't cause any particular problem like yours did.

Has anyone noticed any difference pro/con switching between NGK and Bosch? When I replaced mine I put new NGKs in as I hadn't had any problem with them.

JayJay

1 - 7 of 7 Posts