BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm new to this forum and I regret to say that I'm here because my 2009 K1300GT engine just blew up. It only had 35k miles on it and I'm scratching my head. No service lights were on. My local dealer is telling me that the cylinder 4 connecting rod blew through the engine somehow. See photo. They are quoting $12,000 to repair this bike that is worth $5-6k. So I am extremely upset and devastated.

Does anyone have recommendations on what I should do at this point? They are quoting $1600 labor to install another engine. Seems like a few used engines are on ebay for $900-1000 but I'm really hesitant to throw that kind of money at this bike now.

Do you think I have any recourse with BMW? (I bought the bike used from an individual 2 years ago)

Any idea what I will get as a salvage bike? Anyone interested? I am in Atlanta, GA...

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Not a K1300 owner, but many years ago I had a '63 Alfa Romeo 1300 Guiletta Spyder that lost a connecting rod through the side of the block. It had a bad bearing that was knocking, so I should have fixed that before attempting to drive it anywhere. I was in Atlanta at the time, so I went to R&R salvage and bought another engine for $250, installed it myself, and sold the car for $500, just about breaking even on the deal. That car would be worth $30,000 today if kept up.

Not saying your K1300 GT will ever be a rare and collectable bike, but just commiserating. If you can find a used engine for $1000, it seems it would be worth it to get the bike running again, depending on how much you like it and have in it. Certainly not worth it to have the existing engine repaired at the quoted price. You could buy another and have a parts bike. Or maybe just part it out, but then you have to deal with taking it apart and selling the pieces, plus you will inevitably have a picked-over carcass to deal with. Maybe you can sell it to a salvage yard?

Sorry for your misfortune. Will be interesting to know how you work it out.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Sorry to hear about your K13. I had one a few years back, great bike. Good luck on BMW doing anything on a 11 year old bike .

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
No recourse, stuff happens. scrap it out.

·
IBR# 366
16,563 Posts
You might want to contact this guy over at K-Bikes.com.

Turns out, he's also in Atlanta...

Reactions: beech

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up. I talked to that guy. Mulling it over and may make him an offer. Just not sure how much risk I want to take on a rebuild so involved. If I do what else would you guys service while you have everything broken down?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts