BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, after 204K I have a problem. Have a little bearing noise coming from the Transmission, dropped the Transmission lube and the plug was coved with find silver particles. So I have a wrecked bike with 62K on her, so I am thinking just about changing the complete unit (Engine and Transmission).

Any advice on a change over like this one?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
What are the respective years of the bike and replacement engine/transmission ass'y?

There are some differences that you would need to know about depending on the answer.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,597 Posts
I am with David on this one. Depends on the years but for just a tranny change you are only two bolts and three wires away from an engine change as well. Well almost - need to drain the coolant too.

I would also have to be pretty confident the seals and clutch were in good shape so you might as well pull the tranny off the donor and inspect. You can always put it back together to install.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Not sure why the engine needs replacing if you have isolated the problem to the tranny. With 62K miles it may be stretching preventative maintenance a tad far unless you've experienced excessive engine wear.

Oh, by the way, did I mention I have a tranny and complete clutch assembly with 8k miles from an 07 available? :D

Mugz

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, after 204K I have a problem. Have a little bearing noise coming from the Transmission, dropped the Transmission lube and the plug was coved with find silver particles. So I have a wrecked bike with 62K on her, so I am thinking just about changing the complete unit (Engine and Transmission).

Any advice on a change over like this one?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dshealey said:
What are the respective years of the bike and replacement engine/transmission ass'y?

There are some differences that you would need to know about depending on the answer.
My bike is a1999 and the donor bike is a 2000. With 2004K on my bike I just thought it might be a good time to do the swap. The donor I purchased from a friend and BMW North Dallas had just replaced the clutch. I have the original clutch again maybe a good time the change.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
bulletbill said:
My bike is a1999 and the donor bike is a 2000. With 2004K on my bike I just thought it might be a good time to do the swap. The donor I purchased from a friend and BMW North Dallas had just replaced the clutch. I have the original clutch again maybe a good time the change.
Original clutch with 204k? You might want to give classes on how to operate the BMW dry clutch. Good going!

Putting the engine and transmission into the frame as a unit would be very difficult to achieve even if you have a perfect setup of tooling. It isn't impossible but difficult. PM me for more information if you like.

Was the transmission giving you any indication of failure?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Bill,
just curious...

any final drive problems in those 204k miles?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
johnT said:
Bill,
just curious...

any final drive problems in those 204k miles?
I'm on my second bearing orginal at around 84K replaced the replacment at 114k

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ErnieA said:
Original clutch with 204k? You might want to give classes on how to operate the BMW dry clutch. Good going!

Putting the engine and transmission into the frame as a unit would be very difficult to achieve even if you have a perfect setup of tooling. It isn't impossible but difficult. PM me for more information if you like.

Was the transmission giving you any indication of failure?
The transmission began making the old row,row noise returning from the MOA National, plus the plug had a heavy amount of metallic stuff on her.

Lessons on the clutch be soft and don't rush, I hear riders use way to much RPM to move the beast off. Love her tender!

But, if you ride her hard it can be a small price to pay for the thrill.

I'm an old fart and I just don't ride hard.

·
Registered
511 Posts
bulletbill said:

I get the picture now... sory for the mix-up.

·
Premium Member
7,688 Posts
bulletbill said:
The transmission began making the old row,row noise returning from the MOA National, plus the plug had a heavy amount of metallic stuff on her.

Lessons on the clutch be soft and don't rush, I hear riders use way to much RPM to move the beast off. Love her tender!

But, if you ride her hard it can be a small price to pay for the thrill.

I'm an old fart and I just don't ride hard.
Well, you can ride pretty hard without abusing the clutch!

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
There should be no changes that would affect anything between '99 and '00. In 2000 the brakes and speed sensor changed, but I am not aware of any difference in the engine and transmission.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
You had some answers to your first time post of this. Why is the same question posted again?

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
ErnieA said:
Oh, how I disagree with that statement... IMHO :D

If memory serves... Started with the bike up on the lift at 7am, and I was all done with the engine, GB swap by 1700 the next day... With a test ride! :wave

'00 bike, '01 Motor- Kept the GB as I just got it a few months prior

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57328

The caveat being I had been deep inside Barbara prior... Any questions or help needed... Let me know... That is if John Z does not coach you from the side lines.... :cool:

Dam she looked pitiful... :eek:

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Nope David. The change occurred on the 2001 models manufactured after Jan 1, 2001. My '01 was made in Sept, 2000 and the speed sensor comes from the final drive, not the front roror. My brakes are ABSII not the integral brakes that showed up on the later build '01's.

Loren

dshealey said:
There should be no changes that would affect anything between '99 and '00. In 2000 the brakes and speed sensor changed, but I am not aware of any difference in the engine and transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
shoswell said:
Oh, how I disagree with that statement... IMHO :D
My answer was meant for those who have never done it or have little experience doing it. Good job with yours!
:bmw:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts