BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to get an enclosed trailer for the LT and other bikes. Anyone that uses an enclosed trailer have any suggestions on what I should look for. I will only tow one bike at a time.
Thanks,
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
835 Posts
Haulmark Low Hauler

I had a regular cargo trailer before towing with a pickup truck. I chose the low hauler to cut down on some of the wind resistance (9 mpg). Gat at leat a 7 foot wide. Mine is a 7x12. I installed a LA chock in the middle for hauling the LT only and am going to get rid of it because it is too hard for me to get the LT out of the chock. I liked it becuase it held the bike nicely but almost dropped the LT last time trying to get it out and too much trouble. I like the tandem wheels with brakes. Tracks real nice.
Only problem I have had so far is I tried waxing it and ended up with lot's of big swirls in the black paint. Anyone have any ideas how to solve that problem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
279 Posts
jsciullo said:
Im looking to get an enclosed trailer for the LT and other bikes. Anyone that uses an enclosed trailer have any suggestions on what I should look for. I will only tow one bike at a time.
Thanks,
Jim
I don't own a trailer, but just loaded my LT into a 6x12 U-haul trailer for the move to Nevada. Given a choice, I would ride the bike, but there's just too many vehicles, and not enough drivers.

The LT fit comfortably inside the 6X12 box, but the door opening is too low, so I had to remove the windshield and the radio antenna to get it in. Not a big problem, but if I were shopping for my own trailer, I'd be sure it was tall enough to just roll the bike in and out without removing parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
I have a 6x6x12 Wells Cargo Cycle Hauler.

The Cycle Hauler is the key here as it has a dip in the floor near the back to allow the windshield to clear. It also has a full size ramp/door. Got tired of using a separate ramp on other trailer.

I also have same size trailer for dirt bikes w/o dip- the LT will not fit w/o taking the windshield off. No ramp either.

I installed the LA Chock, but also tie it down just for fun & safety. Installed a few shelves up front to hold helmets and etc. Trailer has the bubble nose so the brace for that serves as a clothes hanger area.

Basically a nice rig. I think the trailer weighs about 1,300 lbs.

I am considering buying a larger trailer-[14-16'] to use as a camper/trailer, but the x6x612 is nice for bike and accessories.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
160 Posts
Logan

I Looked at all the motorcycle trailers out there,and finally picked the logan silver eagle real nice trailer.
Dave in Reno
05K1200LT
05R1200GS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
HI,

I have a great trailer for sale, 16 x 7 ft.white enclosed trailer with, finished interior, oak floors and cabinets, counter top work area and mounted 5 drawer tool box up front. filled with tie down points for bike on wall and e-track abjustable floor rails for mounting. front tire mount holder for wheel mounted in the floor. Trailer has dual ramps in the back for riding lt into trailer. Side walls have pads, shelves on bothe sides. Diamopnd plate on the doors and walls. Trailer is air conditioned and heated just in case you would like to sleep in the unit. Power air vent, complete power control panel. trailer is wired for 12volt and 110 volt, enclosed battery system, power inverter for charging battery, 6 ft light fixtures inside also 12 volt lights inside and outside. Twin 20lb propane tanks in front for heat, sparetire with hubs, electric brakes. electric tounge jack in front. side entry door with screens. exterior awning rolls up. Appox. $10,000.00 invested FOR SALE $6500.00 or best offer..Trailer is located in southeast Michigan. will e-mail photos on request.
Glenn Hibbert
586-770-7447 cell
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Door Height

I've looked at a number of trailers since the last post and was wondering what the best height for trailer doors. It seemed like some of them are a bit tight.
Thanks,
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Wells Cargo 6X12

I have a Wells Cargo 6 X 12 that I trailer my LT in. I also use to garage it in at certain times.

I have put a solar cell on the top of the trailer and plug it into the LT to keep the battery up when I have to leave in for awhile. I also have put a Baxley chuck that works great.

Roger
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
Barnett Black and I have a Chariot fiberglass enclosed trailer. Very light weight, and the LT rides in with no windshield problems. Full width rear door lowers to form the loading ramp. Barnett and I have been very pleased with this unit. Check it out at www.chariot-trailer.com .

- Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
Jim, let us know if you want any detailed help on your discission. I now have 13,000 miles on my Cycle Shuttle 10-6 (outfitted per Bob Mentons suggestions) and pulled by a small V-8 RWD plain old fashion car. I load/unload/tie down by my self. All I remove from the bike, is the antenna. My requirements were slope/vee nose for low drag, torsion bar suspension for low floor height and smooth ride, front window/access ports for easy to reach tie downs at the LT front fork cross bar, and light weight rear/ramp door that doesn't have cables to get in the way. A flat floor with out a (Honda/Harley fixed wind screen) dip. Also white for a cool interior on the 95 degree days. Being an east coast guy, I use it mostly for west of the Mississippi events. Barnett
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bob & Barnet-
Your trailer looks interesting. What options did you add to it?
Thanks,
Jim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Iron Horse Trailers

I am happy with my trailer that I bought from Iron Horse Trailers. It cost a bit more but never fails to get compliments wherever we take it. It was delivered to home. Very nice people to work with.

http://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
consider a V nose trailer

I have a V nose 7 x 17 which is the same length as a 14 footer with a tongue, ramp door and side door etc. It is full height and easy to work around the two bikes inside it. The double axle reduces hopping around. Lots of room for accessories and wife's luggage and my tools and spares.

The big advantage of a V nose is it tows as easily as a low trailer, gives a bit more space, and it's full height for working around the bike to strap it down.

I strongly recommend using anchor shackles to secure the straps, suspension play on bumps can cause hooks to drop out of the floor mounted eyes. This way you don't have to over-tighten the straps, as you can see, I tend to over strap my bikes.

see photos, note, my GL1800 is in the trailer, next year it will be my K1200LT.

Bruce
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
jsciullo said:
Bob & Barnet-
Your trailer looks interesting. What options did you add to it?
Thanks,
Jim
Chariot trailer options that I ordered: side door, one forward window (two would have been better, as they are perfectly located to secure the front bike tiedown straps by reaching in from the outside), extra ceiling light in interior, fancy rear turn signals, spare tire, front wheel chock, reflective stripe on exterior. Larger wheels were an option that I didn't know about when I ordered the trailer - had I known, I would have gotten them (though I've had no problems with the stock wheels).

Barnett Black ordered his Chariot trailer with even more options than I did - perhaps he'll comment on his choices.

Oh - the Chariot, besides being very light weight, has a V-nose.

- Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
bob_menton said:
Chariot trailer options that I ordered: side door, one forward window (two would have been better, as they are perfectly located to secure the front bike tiedown straps by reaching in from the outside), extra ceiling light in interior, fancy rear turn signals, spare tire, front wheel chock, reflective stripe on exterior. Larger wheels were an option that I didn't know about when I ordered the trailer - had I known, I would have gotten them (though I've had no problems with the stock wheels).

Barnett Black ordered his Chariot trailer with even more options than I did - perhaps he'll comment on his choices.

Oh - the Chariot, besides being very light weight, has a V-nose.

- Bob
My options for the 10'-6" Low Profile were: plane white exterior, LED light upgrade with addition stop/turn lights above rear door, side screen door, rear bumper to protect door bottom hinge, front left and right access hatch, J hook on inside wall to hang coat, extra 12V interior light with battery and charger. I have a spare tire from another trailer which I carry inside. 8 installed eye bolts are standard for tie down straps. I picked mine up at the factory in Bartow, FL. Empty weight is quoted at 700#, mine was 900#s on a truck scale almost empty (the spare, tool box, suitcase of cloths, etc).
GVW is 2200#, or 1500# cargo cap.
When traveling strangers think it is a small camping trailer. HTH Barnett
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,399 Posts
If you look at the thumbnail photo that Barnett Black included in his last post, there's an optical delusion - looks like the LT won't even fit into the Chariot trailer, lengthwise! Not true - it fits, with a bit of room to spare. When the bike is in the trailer, my skinny-minnie wife can enter thru the side door and make her way behind the bike to the other side. The windshield clears the V-nose easily. I used to remove the antennae - now I just bend them slightly and let them press against the trailer's inside roof (with a rag over the tips).

(Off thread - nice house, Barnett - New England saltbox with a wing ??)

- Bob
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
579 Posts
bob_menton said:
If you look at the thumbnail photo that Barnett Black included in his last post, there's an optical delusion - looks like the LT won't even fit into the Chariot trailer, lengthwise! Not true - it fits, with a bit of room to spare. When the bike is in the trailer, my skinny-minnie wife can enter thru the side door and make her way behind the bike to the other side. The windshield clears the V-nose easily. I used to remove the antennae - now I just bend them slightly and let them press against the trailer's inside roof (with a rag over the tips).

(Off thread - nice house, Barnett - New England saltbox with a wing ??)

- Bob
Some more photos to show how the LT fits in this two year old trailer that was designed many years before the K12LT existed. B.B.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
jsciullo said:
Im looking to get an enclosed trailer for the LT and other bikes. Anyone that uses an enclosed trailer have any suggestions on what I should look for. I will only tow one bike at a time.
Thanks,
Jim
Here is one I have for sell...the Chariot 16 foot enclosed camping trailer.. I lowered the price, the AC is working.. I had it serviced, there was a leak.. may run for ever or may need to be reworked...so I lowered the price...

This is 1991 16 foot model, conversion to Camper by Chariot in April 1997. I purchased this used three years ago. A real good weekender camper or great to haul your bike, bike storage or moving the kids to college…done that too!



Selling for $5800.00, compare to new model, same look, same design with added features, over $11,000.00 new.



These are good trailers, strong, lightweight, can be pulled by ½ ton pickup or SUV. Being all fiberglassyou can easily repair any damage parts.



The AC has been serviced and recharged, I had a leak. There is crack on one fender, the picture will show this. Replaced awning in 2004 at $750.00 (ouch). Plenty of lights, tie downs, storage, two sliding side windows, roll up vent, roll up TV ant. 110 and 12 volt outlets, 115V fluorescent lights inside, 12v DC lights also. Galley, Storage shelves on each side, Tongue mounted storage box with spare tire, anti sway bar (never needed it), bumper mounted gas shocks on rear ramp which is 6 Foot and 7” wide, two drop down jacks mounted under rear frame for leveling while camping, 2 inch ball hitch, two wiring harness adapters for pickup or SUV, tires are good, spare is good.



AC will really cool this down and a small (very small) electric heater is all you need for cool nights.

I have stayed overnight in this with 90-degree nights and with snow on the ground as well.



Just add your mattress or air mattress to fold down Queen size bed. Can carry up to three sport bikes or two full size touring bikes. Plenty of storage under bed when camping.



I travel from NW Alabama to Chattanooga to W North Carolina area a lot, so if you want to see this, I could make arrangements to pull to your area.



Email [email protected] or cell 205 412 2395



Here is link to 20 pictures:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=488563800106.234995533106.1127751072797&ieh=1127751072783&&



What makes a Chariot trailer exceptional?

http://www.chariot-trailer.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=45



Reason for selling: I have purchased a larger toy hauler.













 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,062 Posts
drmajor said:
I have a 6x6x12 Wells Cargo Cycle Hauler.

The Cycle Hauler is the key here as it has a dip in the floor near the back to allow the windshield to clear. It also has a full size ramp/door. Got tired of using a separate ramp on other trailer.

I also have same size trailer for dirt bikes w/o dip- the LT will not fit w/o taking the windshield off. No ramp either.

I installed the LA Chock, but also tie it down just for fun & safety. Installed a few shelves up front to hold helmets and etc. Trailer has the bubble nose so the brace for that serves as a clothes hanger area.

Basically a nice rig. I think the trailer weighs about 1,300 lbs.

I am considering buying a larger trailer-[14-16'] to use as a camper/trailer, but the x6x612 is nice for bike and accessories.
Dave, here is link to photos of my chariot I have for sell, see the rest of this thread for more details...

http://www.kodakgallery.com/BrowsePhotos.jsp?&collid=488563800106.234995533106.1127751072797&ieh=1127751072783&&
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FYI - Chariot Trailers

I talked to these folks yesterday and they have a new trailer comming out in Dec specifically for the LT. Its a few inches longer and has integrated tail lights and some other goodies. They are taking pre-orders at the same price as the existing 10-6 for a limited time. Looks interesting.
Thanks.
Jim
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top