BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm dealing with my Ice Link (how bad I hate the day I start doing it...)
and now on the brown and red/blue (ground and 12v) are showing 5.04v (fluctuate a little) at the very and.
I would like to measure it on before the mess I made there (I cut wires, then I weld then, then I cut again, then I just put they togheter with tape... it is a big Mickey Mouse).
So I would like to measure the power before my mess.
Any one know were the CD changer connects on the fuse box?

Also, if I have 5.xxV it most like would be lack of grounding right? or else?


MORE info
I'm still working on it and then I got way to reproduce it:

disconnect the ice link
only the 3 wires there (white (no use), brown and red/blue)
12.54v

connect the icelink device: immediately drops to 4.99v
disconnect the icelink device: back to 12.54v

connect the blitz safe device: immediately dorps to 4.99v
disconnect the blitz safe device: back to 12.55v

Then I just connect a cigaret adapter there = 12:54v

then I connect the ipod on the cigaret adapter = 4.98v
disconnect it = back to 12.54v

then I connect my cell phone on the cigaret adapter = 4.99v
disconnect it = back to 12.54v


Any ideas?


looks like that if you put some need of energy it drops the current.

What would the be the 'control line'?

Thank you



Thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,742 Posts
Assuming battery is fully charged, yea - bad/coroded connection someplace.

5.5V is typical for TTL voltages - could it be you're tapping off of something come'n OUT of the CD player? A control line maybe? Not a 12V feed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Zotter said:
Assuming battery is fully charged, yea - bad/coroded connection someplace.

5.5V is typical for TTL voltages - could it be you're tapping off of something come'n OUT of the CD player? A control line maybe? Not a 12V feed.

It was working before, during 3 years.
Today I decide to make it more 'presentable' (the way I did in the past was quite primitive... just put the wires toghether. Today I iron weld it)

So I belive the hot wires from the CD are red/blue and brown.
The white wire I have no clue what it does.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
I will test these wires this weekend. It would not surprise me that one of the wires carries only 5.x volts. That lead probably supplies power to the data circuitry portion of the ice>Link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
messenger13 said:
I will test these wires this weekend. It would not surprise me that one of the wires carries only 5.x volts. That lead probably supplies power to the data circuitry portion of the ice>Link.
Joe,
but that would not explain that the same pair has 12v and when I put charge, it drops to 5v.
The Tate explanation "5.5V is typical for TTL voltages" is more like what may I have, but I have no clue on how to search it... how can I find the source for this TTL?

And I was trying to follow the cables from the saddlebag to the power source but could not find it. Too many wires. Any one knows were the CD Changer gets his power?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,905 Posts
strsout said:
And I was trying to follow the cables from the saddlebag to the power source but could not find it. Too many wires. Any one knows were the CD Changer gets his power?
One of the three connectors under the left side of the radio stingray.
 

·
IBR# 366
Joined
·
16,569 Posts
messenger13 said:
One of the three connectors under the left side of the radio stingray.
Which then goes to the back of the radio. Sorry I don't have my wiring diagram with, or I'd look it up in more detail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I naked the upper plastic on the bike today.
Trace the current back to the radio and from there to the left side panel (opposite side of the gas filler).
Could not find why I'm having this power drop at the end side of CD Changer.
There is no much places to the wires get corroded there and I belive I try all of then.
Could be any kind of 'eletronic device' who is failing?
I would hate to have to drop the bike at the dealer just for it, but I'm running out of ideas on what could be wrong here :( :(
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top