BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went out to ride and found a low battery when trying to start. I heard the fuel pump flutter then nothing. I may or may not have hit the starter switch.

I decided to jump start it from my car and when i connected the cable to the car battery it drew an arc like a welder. I then took the battery out and put it on a charger. While it was charging I went back to test. I found the article on shorted starter relay which sounded good but when I went ahead and turned on the ignition switch and hooked up the jumper it arced again but no turning engine, no lights nothing. I disconnected after 1 second and went back to the book. Help! All suggestions welcome.

BIG TIME WOOPS. The car I was using for a boost had a red wire ground and black positive. How much damage do you think I have done. I am on my way to purchase a new battery.

Jim J

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
JJensen8 said:
I went out to ride and found a low battery when trying to start. I heard the fuel pump flutter then nothing. I may or may not have hit the starter switch.

I decided to jump start it from my car and when i connected the cable to the car battery it drew an arc like a welder. I then took the battery out and put it on a charger. While it was charging I went back to test. I found the article on shorted starter relay which sounded good but when I went ahead and turned on the ignition switch and hooked up the jumper it arced again but no turning engine, no lights nothing. I disconnected after 1 second and went back to the book. Help! All suggestions welcome.

BIG TIME WOOPS. The car I was using for a boost had a red wire ground and black positive. How much damage do you think I have done. I am on my way to purchase a new battery.

Jim J
What kind of car is that? I want to make sure I never buy one. How stupid to not follow a long standing convention for voltage polarity.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
Voyager said:
What kind of car is that? I want to make sure I never buy one. How stupid to not follow a long standing convention for voltage polarity.

My 75 MGB had a long black cable that went from the battery + (behind the seat) to the starter and a short red cable to ground, but it was a negative ground model. Just have to be careful.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
13,779 Posts
cfell said:
Well, hopefully replacing the batterry will be sufficient. When you connect new, connect the negative cable then touch positive first to make sure there is no "short".
I prefer to connect up the + side then touch the ground side last. Less chance of inadvertent contact with ground when connecting up the + side.

As far as damage to the LT goes - you should be fine. there have been several cases of reverse hook ups here and no real harm was done. The bike does draw a considerable arc when first connecting the battery so touch it repeatedly when you get the new battery in to make sure there is no short. The arcs will get smaller with time.

·
Premium Member
7,524 Posts
JJensen8 said:
It was a 2002 Mazda 626
I can understand the MG as the Brits never did quite get a hand on electricity, but Mazda certainly should know better! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts