BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
electrical issue in rear lights

On my 2000 LT, somebody pointed out that my rear left light was not illuminated. I figured out that there are three double filament bulbs in the center: 12V 21W & 5W ... and the bulb on each side (turn signals) are single filament bulbs: 12V 21W. I've confirmed all the bulbs are good. I even swapped the turn signal bulbs. The left bulb DOES illuminate when engaging the left turn signal. However, it does not illuminate at what appears to be a lower voltage, like the right one, when simply in running lights mode.

So, which light is at fault here? Is the left one supposed to light up dimly, like the right one, in "running mode", or is the right one not supposed to do that at all? I'm almost inclined to say there's an issue with the right side, but I don't know what is "normal".

... and after you guys help me figure out which side is the problem, where do I start looking? ... since this isn't just a burnt out bulb.

Thanks,
Steve
Titusville, FL

Attachments

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Re: electrical issue in rear lights

On my 2000 LT, somebody pointed out that my rear left light was not illuminated. I figured out that there are three double filament bulbs in the center: 12V 21W & 5W ... and the bulb on each side (turn signals) are single filament bulbs: 12V 21W. I've confirmed all the bulbs are good. I even swapped the turn signal bulbs. The left bulb DOES illuminate when engaging the left turn signal. However, it does not illuminate at what appears to be a lower voltage, like the right one, when simply in running lights mode.

So, which light is at fault here? Is the left one supposed to light up dimly, like the right one, in "running mode", or is the right one not supposed to do that at all? I'm almost inclined to say there's an issue with the right side, but I don't know what is "normal".

... and after you guys help me figure out which side is the problem, where do I start looking? ... since this isn't just a burnt out bulb.

Thanks,
Steve
Titusville, FL
I just swapped out all my turn signal bulbs for brighter LED bulbs and the turn signals even though they flash faster from the lower current draw but do not illuminate unless the turn signal is engaged. I can fix the fast flash if I wanted to but I figured it would grab more attention so I left it that way. I honestly never noticed if they were dimly lit before I swapped them out but they are not lit now.

·
Registered
184 Posts

My turn signals do not illuminate until the signal is engaged, so it appears that the issue is that your right lamp IS lit, not that the left one isn't.

Mark

·
Registered
273 Posts
The stock turn signal sockets are turn signal only from the factory. I changed all four of my turn signal sockets to work with duel element bulbs for turn signals and running lights. The stock sockets only have two wires, I added a third wire for running lights. This doesn't help you but , how many wires to each socket front and rear. Are there running on the front. If you have three wires back track the added third wire connections. If you only have two wires at each socket, why is it lighted again check wire connections in socket. Good luck, you'll have fun chasing this down. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. It is really starting to seem like the right is the problem. I've even now noticed that it is intermittent. It was acting fine early this morning ... i.e. not illuminated. By the time I got to the office, 35 mins later, it was on.

I know I have a smattering of electrical issues. I have a bad connection in my speed sensor cabling ... my odometer has been just bouncing around for about 18 months. I also get random numbers displayed in my gear indicator for a couple days after it rains.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
there is either a short going to the turn signal keeping it live or the divider between the tail lens and indicator lens is missing, your indicators should not be on with the tail light, it could have been wired for a trailer have a good look around under the seats for extra wires

·
Registered
39 Posts

It's funny how indicators have got lost in translation. In the U.K. ours stay off until used and in the US yours stay on and then flash. Surely you have it right and we have it wrong!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts